Just bought it. Needs some love

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baco 83

Reaction score
Just picked up this 86 and I'm trying to figure out where to start. I know my first mod is going to be foward controls seeing as I'm 6'2. Where should I go next.

Attachments

• 20211219_102518.jpg
    20211219_102518.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 71
I see a Supertrapp exhaust, the OEM sissybar, case-savers, and a lot of work ahead of you.

Save this link, and print out the pages, and put them in a looseleaf binder for future reference, besides on the computer.

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Info to answer many questions: (100) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

A good battery is important to your bike's operation, I suggest an AGM battery at-least, or a Lithium-ion battery (better). Do the 'crimp-fix.' This helps your electrical system function better and involves in no cash-outlay, just soldering a wire harness brass crimp on several wires. (100) How to: Fix your Vmax's low voltage or charging problems | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMax electrical crimp.01.jpegVMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpg

Your bike has the early suspension in-front 40mm downtubes/sliders, and a single schrader valve for anti-dive, this is commonly not charged with air (9-14 psi) if your front suspension is using Progressive Suspension springs.

You also have the early 5-conductor/wire ignition module pick-up coil (1985-'89) while the 1990+ to '07 bikes have a 2-wire pick-up coil. If you find you need a new ignition box, contact Sean Morley [email protected] for an Ignitech ignition box, much-cheaper than an OEM replacement. It can also control more bike functions (like the VBoost) and it has a rev-limiter which no Gen. 1 (1985-2007) bike offers.

VMax pick-up coil 1985-89 early models 5 wires.jpgVMax pick-up coil 1990-2007 late models 2 wires.jpg

CaptainKyle [email protected] is a great source of parts, both new and used, and service if you're anywhere near him (TN).

dannymax is a Carburetor Guru [email protected] contact him for service and parts for your induction system.

Anything you have questions about, use the 'advanced search' function (select the 'search' button, upper-right) to research the topic of interest. Someone on here has faced the same thing, and the info, like the X Files, "is out-there."

This should get you started.

Take pics, we like pics. A decent write-up on what you're doing interests all of us.

Last edited:
I'd probably get a seat for it?

If it were me I'd start with a full service to make sure that the basics are right. This would include changing all fluids and filters, (probably) spark plugs and a thorough inspection of plug caps and HT leads. Assuming it runs then some carb cleaner and depending on the state of the oil that comes out perhaps some oil treatment.

Once done you should have a list of 'Must do', 'Should do' and 'Could do' items. It's then a case of working through them until you get to the 'Could do'.
At that point you can decide what direction you want to go in and how deep your pockets need to be to achieve this.

It's not in the best shape. But I can't complain for $1k. Carbs need to be cleaned needs some paint needs a battery and tires. Right now it does run but only on choke and with jumper cables. Plus the air filter is junk. Had a nice little mouse nest inside it. Which means I have to inspect the wiring for any damage

Where is this new bike sitting? Consider adding that below your screen name.

Ok thanks for adding your location, perhaps someone by you will be up for a ride come spring. Or, be able to assist on a repair job or have parts you need.

You guys better nail down specific coordinates within Rhode island. You might be astonished if one or the other of you live on the opposite end of the state!

We definitely are on different sides of the state. About half an hour apart. Lol. I'm up in Lincoln right down the street from twin river

Last edited:
We definitely are on different sides of the state. About half an hour apart. Lol. I'm up in Lincoln right down the street from twin river
Baco I grew up in Woonsocket, basically a town over. Most of my family still lives there including aunts and uncles in Lincoln. In fact twin river to my restaurant is 25 min or less.

It's not in the best shape. But I can't complain for $1k. Carbs need to be cleaned needs some paint needs a battery and tires. Right now it does run but only on choke and with jumper cables. Plus the air9E4DE835-193F-4F6C-BCFF-E02F9162F7D1.png Crimp fix ! The struggle is real !

I wasn't able to tell if it was sarcasm or not. Lol. Most people don't even have a clue where Rhode Island it. They all think we're part of NY

Years ago, I had a girlfriend who was heavily into drum and bugle. Went to many meets and associated events in and around Providence. Apparently drum and bugle competitions are a big deal and Southern New England.. not so much Northern New England.

Latest posts

Back