Just got it going

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my 1985 V65 Magna running today. Was not able to get on it till last week. Had to finish the 85 vmax project. Runs real nice. All I had to do was flush out all the brake lines. Acid clean the tanks and 'Voila', runs like if it just had the carbs overhaul. Which is what I was told they did before parking it. Everything works too. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_183119.jpg
    IMG_20210916_183119.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 22
That sounds promising. I suggest going the extra mile:

Did you disassemble the master cyl's & blow-out the lines? What about removing the calipers, pulling the pistons, and cleaning everything? I sure wouldn't be doing any 'speed-runs' unless I did that first. It gives you a chance to check every component in the brakes and to ensure that it's going to work properly when you need it to.

That sounds promising. I suggest going the extra mile:

Did you disassemble the master cyl's & blow-out the lines? What about removing the calipers, pulling the pistons, and cleaning everything? I sure wouldn't be doing any 'speed-runs' unless I did that first. It gives you a chance to check every component in the brakes and to ensure that it's going to work properly when you need it to.
Done. Flushed the clutch fluid also. And a bit of other stuff to. One of the things left to do is flush the cooling system. Pull the thermostat and check it. Runs well and holds the Temperature mid range. Still something I always do on projects. Having a hard time locating oem handle bars for it. I've got a set of vMax bars on it with risers and feels good. I may just shorten the lines. The master cylinders are tight and hold pressure well, but I'll be changing them both out. Already have the new replacements. Few odds and ends left to do. Biggest for me will be Left/Right side covers. For having a bike that cost me only $200 plus $375 shipping it'll be awhile before I start Bit---hing.

Last edited:
Just got my 1985 V65 Magna running today. Was not able to get on it till last week. Had to finish the 85 vmax project. Runs real nice. All I had to do was flush out all the brake lines. Acid clean the tanks and 'Voila', runs like if it just had the carbs overhaul. Which is what I was told they did before parking it. Everything works too. :cheers:
Hey patate, yea that bike runs real nice and its gonna keep runnin real nice!
My cousin has that machine, indestructible! Reliable and my cousin proof LOL.
He cant help it, but he can tear some stuff up.
He once drained the oil, changed a filter but didn't refill the oil! Rode with us all to get gas before we could hear his motor wasn't right.
After the refill(mobile1 synthetic) it was fine.
Thats just one example of what he's put it through and it still runs great, real
strong and quick too. There it is ahead of my bike.
20161022_155629.jpg

Congrats! I had 85 Saber V65 and couple months ago I looked at 84 Magna V65, but guy wanted $1100, I passed. Too many projects, they don't fix themselves, just keep multiplying...
December is the best time to buy dead toys. Get your money ready!!! :D

Congrats! I had 85 Saber V65 and couple months ago I looked at 84 Magna V65, but guy wanted $1100, I passed. Too many projects, they don't fix themselves, just keep multiplying...
December is the best time to buy dead toys. Get your money ready!!! :D
Once I've straighten both the vMax and v65 out, I'll be looking for a 84' v65 Sabre. If they made an 85' even better, but I read they only made the Sabre in 83' and 84. Maybe something one of you gurus might know about....?😉

Speaking of the Clutch, while doing a swap out of the Master Slave (On my vmax) with one Captain Kyle sent me on, I saw what I had done wrong with the rebuild I did. When removing my rebuilt Master Slave I notice that when I had added the little addition pipe for the Fluid line connection, I didn't see that there was bit of a drop down for the fluid ring to seat. I had put an over sized one instead. Made me think that it caused a seepage and also meaning that my rebuild was still good......🤷‍♂️ Learn something new everyday.

Latest posts

Back