Just got my UFO 4-1, I have a few questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booty_Hunter

Reaction score
I just received my UFO Dragstar and Stage 7 kit. I ordered the slash cut and received both the slash cut and megaphone. I'm going to install/ tune it with the slash cut first because I prefer the looks. I have a couple questions:

1) If I install the megaphone later to maybe quiet it up a bit or change the look/ sound, will it need to be re-tuned?

2) I read when the Stage 7 is installed, it turns the V-boost Off (or leaves it open at all times), is this correct?

3) I also read when the Stage 7 is installed, you can't go completely wide open throttle? Is this correct? and if so, is this a problem for max power and speed?
Seems like it would be.

I searched this site and read a lot of conflicting info, I just want to get it straight before I take it to get installed/ tuned.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

You should be fine with either can, you can leave the vboost fully functional as well because if you pull it off then you'll need the Webber sync tool. I think what was meant is with the vboost gone that some bikes will kinda sag if you whack the throttle too fast at low rpm but should still be crisp if you leave the vboost intact but you'll still have full throttle capabilities either way. I'm not familiar with dynojet jet sizing because I run Mikuni jets in mine but I'd recommend staying with the stock mains at first and you may need to lean it out a little more from there.

If you want to have the VBoost open all the time, just unplug the round electrical connection under the laft side scoop. You have to do it when the VBoost motor cycles the cable taut/open when you first turn on the ignition key.

The Dragstar balogna-cut tip may injure your hearing if you do not use significant protection, the megaphone is still too-loud w/o hearing protection, be forewarned. Yes, it sounds cool if you like dB at a level harmful to your unprotected hearing. I have both and modded a literbike canister to fit, and to make it bearable noise-wise.

in my experience, I didn't have to change the jetting going from the balogna-cut tip to the megaphone, and I also have both megaphone tip/cap sized-openings. I have the DJ Stage 7 and use the VBoost operating normally. It pulls smoothly from closed throttle to redline. Roll it open, no issues.

Thanks for clearing it up. I don't necessarily want eliminate the VBoost, just trying to figure out all the pros/ cons of the different options. What are your opinions on modifying the VBoost so it opens up at lower RPMs (I read its around 3000 RPMs)?

Thanks for the heads up on the earplugs, I was already planning on wearing them but its nice to know people are looking out for me.

When I got my UFO system I was told to open the vboost permanently.
What for it to open and unplug the cable under the left scoop.
.earplugs are your friend

Thanks for clearing it up. I don't necessarily want eliminate the VBoost, just trying to figure out all the pros/ cons of the different options. What are your opinions on modifying the VBoost so it opens up at lower RPMs (I read its around 3000 RPMs)?

To be able to open at 3000 RPM...you will either need an aftermarket TCI called the ignitech, (couple hundred dollars) or an add on called a "T-boost"....I'm wanting to say new they are around 50 dollars....used...maybe 25.

I also have the dragstar on my 85' earplugs are your friend and you might warn fellow riders also ahead of time . As far as the cop's (po po ) go I generally back off throttle or sometimes pull clutch in and coast by them. As far as vboost is concerned I have the sasy vboost controller I can easily program at the touch of a finger I can control my vboosts opening . Now I have stitch to gannon's cops (coil over plug) and now my sasy vboost controller won't work !! Thinking of going back to stock coils or installing Ignitech tci and play with that for awhile !! Good luck and protect your ears ..Jamie

I have no experience w/either the SASY, the Ignitech, or the TBoost switch. I have never seen the strip data to support that any of these when modding the stock VBoost have improved the performance of the bike, has anyone?

I think the main advantage is in the seat of the pants perception of the operator as to the sound and character of the bike when you mod the VBoost. The 'lopey idle' makes it like you're at the strip, while you're cooling your heels at yet-another stoplight in between young adults texting instead of paying-attention to driving, middle-aged men & women driving 20 mph below the speed limit while they are having animated cellphone discussions in the left lane, and the 'ricer-fly-by boys' making multiple cuts through traffic while pretending to be in Ultimate Drift contests or some-such. I ran my DJ Stage 7/UFO 4/1, COP's bike w/the VBoost unplugged for awhile, and didn't really notice any performance benefit (only that discriminating 'seat-of-the-pants' method, no strip time) so I plugged it back in and left it that way ever since.

I got tired of pussyfooting around the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) w/my UFO, and that's when I went to my Frankencanister, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31804&highlight=frankencanister
now I can rip in-town w/impunity (relatively-speaking,common sense should prevail) w/o having to worry about any cop within earshot being so-easily informed as to the 'exhibition of speed' from that dirty motorcyclist. Some say the aesthetics of the Frankencanister are bad, but I'll gladly put up w/a bit of bulk (except from the opposite sex) if I can save my hearing and use my performance more-freely every day w/o suffering civil penalties for my too-loud exhaust.

I just dug a Kerker 4/1 for another bike out of my shed, sadly, the chrome is shot, so it looks like i'll have to grind-off the rust and maybe VHT it into cosmetic shape. I already measured it and it will fit my UFO midpipe just fine. It has a medium-size replaceable baffle in it, so it will be interesting to see what it sounds like as a UFO header/midpipe, Kerker megaphone combo. I always liked the sound of the Kerker 4/1 on my bikes when I had inline 4's from Honda or Kawasaki.

I'm wanting to say that Sean did a dyno with a T-boost at 3000 rpm, and the bike lost a few hp in the midrange.

I'm sure the Yamaha factory mechanics tried all sorts of settings when this was being designed. They made it for effect and drivability. If there was something 'big' to gain, I think they would have found it.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I'm probably just going to leave VBoost stock then. I was also reading about the cops upgrade, but was reading that the can over heat and get crunched by the seat or something. Any opinions on them? and a link to where I can get a high quality plug n play cop kit?
Thanks again,
Todd

The v-boost at 3k is only usable without much load on the engine. Downhill it might feel a little like it's doing something. But, it was designed to assist flow starting at 6k and up,on a stock motor. You can try everything and see what you like.
The cops kit can be purchased right here from Gannon. I'm sure he'll see this and get in touch .Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen dyno results on a COPs system, but I like it a lot. Eliminate the coils and plug wires, both eventual issues. My bike starts better with COPs. The seat of the pants dyno,says it impproves performance .
Steve-o

Don't worry about the exploding cop thing. That was an isolated incident.

174277232-fat-cop.jpg

This one looks like he's about to!

The bike was designed probably 33 years-ago, and it was, as we all know, the quickest stock production bike of the day, it doesn't sound like they held too-much back. None of the other 'power cruisers' stuck-around in the marketplace, so it seems as though their marketing was very successful. As a matter of fact, the VMax was in continuous production for longer than another icon of transportation, the Ford Model T (1909-1927).

Yes, the Gen II was designed w/something in reserve, it appears, since re-tuning it frees-up additional performance. The opportunity to release additional performance w/little in physical alterations is a prudent marketing move if other entries in the marketplace threaten to usurp the standings of the Gen II. It's also the way of the current crop of performance bikes, being able to write some new parameters for the software to unleash more power. While the supersport bikes may undergo mechanical alterations more-frequently to compete, bikes like the Diavel and VMax don't have to because their time in the marketplace is planned for a longer run, 'as-is.' With the exception of the software... . In seven years, '09-'15, how many hardware changes are there in the Gen II? They tweak it a bit but it's pretty-much the same bike. It still rules the roost, why change it?

Latest posts

Back