Just installed UFO exhaust two fast questions!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought and installed UFO exhausts. Looks and sounds awesome! two question though;

- How much should i tighten the exhaust gasket clamps? I tightened them until the can't move but the mufflers can still around the midpipe. Should I tighten it more or would i be fine like this, don't want to crack or deform something.

- Can I keep the rubber snubber on the centerstand and just have the clamp threads pointed downwards?

Thanks!

Think good and snug so things don't shake loss should be good.
Ya did a friends exhaust and did the same turn the clamp down but think the instructions say to move the rubber over and not sure guess have to screw it or glue it in another position so I jut did the clamp turning trick......works fine.

Think good and snug so things don't shake loss should be good.
Ya did a friends exhaust and did the same turn the clamp down but think the instructions say to move the rubber over and not sure guess have to screw it or glue it in another position so I jut did the clamp turning trick......works fine.

So, no moving over rubber?

UFO instructions that come with the kit do say to move it over I jut didn't bother doing it.....

The only problem I have with the UFO DragStar is that
it leaks at every clamp =(

I just installed a used 4-1 last week. It took a lot of playing around with the fittings to get it all together in the right spot. Trial and error with different insertion depths of all the different pieces at different angles. All in all, I have zero leaks at the band clamps. I did have a leak where the right rear down pipe connect to the header coming from the front left. This is just a slip joint with no clamp. After tearing it back off, and putting a little ultra copper on this slip connection, I have no leaks.

Wasn't the easiest exhaust I've ever fit, to say the least.

Is a new exhaust it suppost to make a special smell when engine gets warm? Not a burnt smell but something similar.

That is likely. Will be some solvents, etc that will burn off or emit odors until burned in.

The only problem I have with the UFO DragStar is that
it leaks at every clamp =(
No leaks on mine. They were so snug I had to give each pipe a few taps with the rubber mallet to get them in place. Did you use the high temp silicone at the joints?

ive got the right rear header leaking as well, ive had it off three times now, it all seems to fit well. but still leaks....

Did you use new header gaskets ? I don't have my instruction anymore I believe it said copper gaskets are preferred . maybe someone else can chime in on whats better for head gaskets

My UFO went on with the stock yamaha exhaust donuts, they have fiber and copper both, which is what it is designed for.

Some of the slip joints leak slightly, I always thought it was normal. Can't hear it. Especially over the mufflers.

They leak very little now since I had it ceramic coated and had to "persuade" the joints to slip together.

Hi guys, I used new Yamaha gaskets. I think several of the joins leak a little, you can't hear them, but if you put your hand near you can feel a little.
We I decelerate it doesn't pop or crackle, so can't be too bad.
The main issue is the right rear short header, I get quite a bit of exhaust fume up the inside of my right leg.

Hi guys, I used new Yamaha gaskets. I think several of the joins leak a little, you can't hear them, but if you put your hand near you can feel a little.
We I decelerate it doesn't pop or crackle, so can't be too bad.
The main issue is the right rear short header, I get quite a bit of exhaust fume up the inside of my right leg.

Is it leaking where it connects to the cylinder head, or where it slips into the other pipe? I had issues with it leaking where it slips into the other pipe. I smeared some Permatex Ultra Copper inside the pipe that runs to the front left cylinder and re-assembled. Put everything back together and let it cure overnight. That seemed to fix the issue for me.

I just got an email back from Mike at UFO, was very helpful, he said exactly what you just said.
It's not in the head that's leaking, it's the first join. I had a look at the local car part shop, they have high Temp silicon, a different brand, but is rated to 350 centigrade temp , that very high so should be good.

Back