Just money I guess...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Well finally finished tearing down the used 1500 engine I bought, bores are a little scratched but acceptable, thrust looks decent as far as I can tell, crank is grooved up pretty good (#2 spun a bearing) but I expected that, rod that spun still looks great but I'm having them all checked but I'm positive they are able to be resized and they are Carillo's but then I noticed the pistons... Apparently when the rod bearing spun on that journal it made enough slop to let the piston touch the valves on cylinders 1&2, heads look good from what I can see but now I have to send those out to check the guides and valves and do a valve job so I might as well run a hone through the bores and buy some new rings too. I was really hoping to just be able to put a new crank in and get the rods reconditioned and just run it but there's no sense in half assing it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

It just isnt cheap doing anything on them motors ....LOL, the 1300 that I am building will be more than I paid for the bike. But what the heck its only money. And I agree no half assing it.

That's my theory Bumper, if its what you want then its worth the cost :) I got it for a awesome price so I couldn't turn it down, JE pistons, Carillo rods, stage 1 ported heads, 03 cams, and undercut trans so just in parts I did pretty good, I was just praying the cases weren't trashed after it spun the bearing but everything looks pretty good but needs a very thorough cleaning.

You have it open, you might as well do it right or you will be opening it again! Good luck with it Scott, and keep us posted on the progress.

WOW that thing has some real goodies in it. Just a few thousand in mods. I am doing mine with ross pistons and h beam rods along with a full undercut in the transmission. ported and polished heads with a a full radius serdi valve job . Knowing what that all costs you have a lot of cash setting there.

Yeah i dont what it is with the vmax making
our own and if you look at each vmax and know the owner the bike decribes the owner. So im running golden spectro 15w/50 in my 1500 its a semi synthetic, hard to find what are you 1500cc guys running in your bikes?

I'm going to start with plain old Rotella 15/40 and run that for awhile but in my stock engine now I've had excellent luck with the Rotella synthetic in the blue jug, I think its 5/40... Just don't use a full 4 quarts on a regular oil change (only if your filling a brand new engine) because its too much and you'll overfill it, I think Sean said that on here once and on my next oil change I put in 3 quarts right away and then with the bike level I just filled a little bit at a time to get it to the halfway point on the sight window, turned out to be just under 3 1/2 quarts. The little bit of oil I was getting in my airbox stopped and I picked up 1mph in trap speed at the dragstrip so it works, thanks Sean!

WOW that thing has some real goodies in it. Just a few thousand in mods. I am doing mine with ross pistons and h beam rods along with a full undercut in the transmission. ported and polished heads with a a full radius serdi valve job . Knowing what that all costs you have a lot of cash setting there.

Yea it was a good friend who sold it to me and he was completely 100% honest about the damage so I knew what I was getting into but I bought it for a killer deal, if it wouldn't have been for him it would have taken years to save enough to do an engine like this so I'm very grateful to him.

When I was young I built my first race motor, spent lots of money, put it together and a ring cracked and trashed the cylinder. I think I had 1000 miles on it.

So I bought a junkyard motor, put my top half on it and ran like hell for I think two years. Of course I didn't have 13 to 1 compression like I wanted ( think I was close to 11.75 to 1 ). But all in all the motor held up awesome. It was a pontiac motor so no need to rev beyond 5800 rpm. So thats another reason it lasted.

But I guess my point is, I spent a ton of money on rods pistons crank etc and it didn't make me go any faster. I built a ton of junkyard motors. And those always seem to last. Seasoned in motors. I blew up motor fresh built motors than junkyard put togethers.

But again too we aren't talking simple 200 hp motors, we were talking some decent power. So that has alot to be said too, for both junkyard motors and built motors.

But I wonder this... you buy a junked Vmax for the motor. Spend $500 on the motor ( I see them for that price here and there ). Build a set of heads, a good intake setup and plumb it with 100 shot of juice, you have maybe $1500-2000 into a motor. Of course this is a racing setup so we aren't worried about how long it will last because race motors get pulled apart every season for a fresh up anyways. But Scott do you think that you could stock pile a couple of junkyard motors and bottle them and be ahead of the game?

Just a thought, I know the power increase for a 1500 just on the motor vs adding a bottle. But knowing your running a bottle and looking to bust into the 9's, I was just thinking out loud.

Todd

When I was young I built my first race motor, spent lots of money, put it together and a ring cracked and trashed the cylinder. I think I had 1000 miles on it.

So I bought a junkyard motor, put my top half on it and ran like hell for I think two years. Of course I didn't have 13 to 1 compression like I wanted ( think I was close to 11.75 to 1 ). But all in all the motor held up awesome. It was a pontiac motor so no need to rev beyond 5800 rpm. So thats another reason it lasted.

But I guess my point is, I spent a ton of money on rods pistons crank etc and it didn't make me go any faster. I built a ton of junkyard motors. And those always seem to last. Seasoned in motors. I blew up motor fresh built motors than junkyard put togethers.

But again too we aren't talking simple 200 hp motors, we were talking some decent power. So that has alot to be said too, for both junkyard motors and built motors.

But I wonder this... you buy a junked Vmax for the motor. Spend $500 on the motor ( I see them for that price here and there ). Build a set of heads, a good intake setup and plumb it with 100 shot of juice, you have maybe $1500-2000 into a motor. Of course this is a racing setup so we aren't worried about how long it will last because race motors get pulled apart every season for a fresh up anyways. But Scott do you think that you could stock pile a couple of junkyard motors and bottle them and be ahead of the game?

Just a thought, I know the power increase for a 1500 just on the motor vs adding a bottle. But knowing your running a bottle and looking to bust into the 9's, I was just thinking out loud.

Todd

You just pretty much described what I did to my stock 94 motor that I'm running now lol I pulled the heads and had them milled .020" and I did some very minor porting myself and used ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets and threw the juice at it. The main reason I went this way getting the 1500 motor is because I got a DEAL on it ;) it is a good engine and just needs some attention but as I'm sure you've figured out by now I'm kinda anal about things being perfect and spending money where it counts (I can tell your the same way) so I think by the time I've fixed everything I'll have about 1/3 of the cost vs building a new one just like it and that includes purchase price of the engine. It was claimed to be 169rwhp but I believe those inflated dyno numbers as far as I could throw the actual dyno. I've seen a lot of guys with 1500's claiming big numbers but they've never raced them to actually know. I'm hoping for an honest 155-160rwhp out of it and then I'm gonna hit it with another 60-80 shot of juice. The only point I'm trying to make is it seems everyone who's had a Vmax with a good pipe and jet kit (stage 7 or Morley kit like i have) dyno'd claims it makes 125-130rwhp but doing the math on mine it only made about 116 with just the pipe and jet kit and I was running 11.4's with me being over 300lbs in my gear so either the dyno numbers some of these guys are getting are wrong or math is incorrect and I'll put my faith in math. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything or insult anyone, I'm just saying I've been around the racetrack long enough to know the difference. Sorry if I offended anyone but I'm just being honest.

I ll have to look at mine again, but I think I figured 121 hp for my bike to run 11.02 @ 124 mph with my weight at 205 lbs in shorts.

But I agree, its the track that tells you how much power you put down. Or atleast have the ability to put down!

Watching Street Outlaws is fun, because the guy with the 707 ci 2200 hp motor gets his ass handed to him 3 times by smaller less powered cars!

Todd

Latest posts

Back