Just Saw A New Carb Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to take down the carbs again. I noticed one has fuel running out the over flow and the bike is getting hard to start. Before today cranked on first click of the button. Didn't even have to choke it. Went straight to a steady idle. Not today.
Took off the air box. Cranked her up and the slides are working good. Any suggestions on what I'm gonna be looking for? Thanks

Stuck float or poor float needle seating. Could be dirt/rust and I recently encountered poorly designed needle valves preventing complete seating of the needle resulting in exactly what you're seeing.

A few sharp raps on the bowl often frees up stuck floats, but not always. Conversely, you could rap it 1000 times and it won't cure a bad needle valve.

That's what I thought. When I got the bike, I noticed the tank had some rust (Just a Little) and I flushed it out many times. Then I added 2 Fuel filters working as primary and a secondary hoping I could prolong the 'Pull The Tank Fix'. Worked fine till now, but something must of snuck by. I've already got new seats and gaskets. Been waiting for something like this to happen, so I can take them apart again. I'll redo them all. No biggy, kinda of interesting working on the carbs. Thank You for your input...:)

My friend who is a Yamaha dealer mechanic since well-before the VMax was released, once told me, "if the tank is rusted, you can try to save it, but at the dealership, we just install a new one. If we lined them, it would cost more-than installing a new one!" Labor, you-know. A couple of years ago just-before COVID, I waited three months from a dealer for a new tank.

If your float valve is sticking due-to particulate rust, your pilot jets are going to clog-up too. While I admire the idea of double-gas filtration, I don't believe it's going to improve your rust-removal by any appreciable factor. Did you use a pleated paper filter for one and a sintered bronze one for the other?

My friend who is a Yamaha dealer mechanic since well-before the VMax was released, once told me, "if the tank is rusted, you can try to save it, but at the dealership, we just install a new one. If we lined them, it would cost more-than installing a new one!" Labor, you-know. A couple of years ago just-before COVID, I waited three months from a dealer for a new tank.

If your float valve is sticking due-to particulate rust, your pilot jets are going to clog-up too. While I admire the idea of double-gas filtration, I don't believe it's going to improve your rust-removal by any appreciable factor. Did you use a pleated paper filter for one and a sintered bronze one for the other?

Won't buy a new one, I'd look for a good used one. Already been thinking of buying a used one and then clean and reline it. Then I can do an easy 1 day swap. Before I forget how I did it. Ole' Guy thing......:confused:
The filters are both steel cased. The primary has a changeable paper element and the secondary has a removable cleanable plastic element with screening.
I understand the problem may (Will) continue, but the filters are brandades until I get the tank fix done.
Thank You

I agree, looking for a decent used one is a solution, and it may-not even need lining, as they are not lined from the factory/OEM. Look up Captain Kyle's comments on treating the VMax gas tanks: what product he uses, and most-importantly, how it's used. Of course, Sean Morley is another resource for info on the formulations used to treat the gas tanks, the application, and other data relevant. The 'advanced search' forum function is your friend.

God may save souls, but Kyle and Sean save VMax'es.

I agree, looking for a decent used one is a solution, and it may-not even need lining, as they are not lined from the factory/OEM. Look up Captain Kyle's comments on treating the VMax gas tanks: what product he uses, and most-importantly, how it's used. Of course, Sean Morley is another resource for info on the formulations used to treat the gas tanks, the application, and other data relevant. The 'advanced search' forum function is your friend.

God may save souls, but Kyle and Sean save VMax'es.
Thank You. Will do when the times...

Back