Just something cool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score

Attachments

• Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-001.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-001.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-2.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-3.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-4.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-5.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-5.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-7.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-7.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-6.jpg
    Superformance-1963-Grand-Sport-6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 61
Nice..
100k?? Dont know.. :)

Last edited:
In the back of my mind, I've kinda always wanted a Vett. Blue one in fact. This is cool.

Chevy Grand Sports were the factory roadracing cars in the mid 1960's. I think that's what Roger Penske was racing before he gave it up to be a GM dealer (and eventually a GM Board member!). Those are worth millions.

A good looking clone.

Looks very nice.. trying to figure out the buckle on the hood.. What purpose does it have?
And If I won a couple of millions I would jump on this car... Saying this I clicked on the purchase button, never mind the vette.. I would get the GT-40 and a cobra...lol

Yep, now they use shock cords w/ball ends. Leather straps were common from the 1920's into the '60's. A 'positive restraint' rather than relying on a common hood latch. Perhaps better able to keep the car and the 'bonnet' together in the event of a racing 'shunt.'

I think the GM Corvette racers were called "Gran Sports" and had Nassau Blue paint jobs. Of course they had all-sorts of stuff that the other racers didn't. They may have been among the earliest GM products to use the 'porcupine' cyl head design that became the 396/427 big block.

The NASCAR equivalent of the Gran Sports was the Smokey Yunick 7/8-scale racer which ran the 'porcupine' engine in a slightly-smaller body which gave it a significant advantage in aero drag at Daytona.

Was it Gordon Jennings who, upon seeing the 1970's BMW Superbikes running (not made by the factory-at the time) monoshock frames for their Udo Geitel massaged bikes, "I see we've fallen 'way-behind in our cheating!" It seems that would be an appropriate comment for Smokey Yunick's creation.

Looks very nice.. trying to figure out the buckle on the hood.. What purpose does it have?
And If I won a couple of millions I would jump on this car... Saying this I clicked on the purchase button, never mind the vette.. I would get the GT-40 and a cobra...lol

I would jump on a GT-40 in a cold second if I were laying out big bucks, the cobra has long been a dream car of mine as well but I would need to have 427 side oiler version! Oh man those are pure wicked. I like mid engine/rear drive, a Pantera would also satisfy. See, you overwhelmed my brain by listing two of the finest American sports cars ever produced!

One of my acquaintances in south FL is a machinist, his father and he, both. They ran a machine shop in the rear of a commercial building and rented the front to a NAPA business.

Sid, we thought, had gone 'insane.' He paid as-much for a car as you could buy a decent house, $26,000 (mid-1970's). A little green sportscar, w/a saddle tan leather interior.

Sid and his father completely disassembled it, and they used part of the NAPA floorspace to store the frame and body. As it went back together, after they rebuilt it, piece, by piece, it became more and more-complete in the NAPA area. Then it was done, a little jewel of a Shelby Cobra. No, not a 289, it was one of the first Shelbys ever built, a 260 cu. inch Ford small-block 'Interceptor.' It had chrome knock-off wire wheels, and Sid didn't drive it much, but when he did, it was 'an event.'

He kept it for a couple years and sold it for over $100,000 which was big money back then, as you could buy a really-nice home for that! Or a Ferrari or Lamborghini, or a brand-new Corvette, and a new home!

Now those early Cobras are trading for seven figures. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...-shelby-cobra-to-cross-the-block-in-monterey/

I would jump on a GT-40 in a cold second if I were laying out big bucks, the cobra has long been a dream car of mine as well but I would need to have 427 side oiler version! Oh man those are pure wicked. I like mid engine/rear drive, a Pantera would also satisfy. See, you overwhelmed my brain by listing two of the finest American sports cars ever produced!

A numbers matching Cobra today is worth a number I cant pronounce. I would settle for a replica, very few people would know the difference from just the tail lights. I fondly (and barely) remeber the time when Ford, Dodge and GM all made awesome desirable cars. If I had to choose a modern car you could put me down for a 911 Turbo S or any 12 cyl AMG. To bad nothing manufactued anywhere at anytime can equal the American muscle car era in terms of gutteral raw nasty bitchen' blistering sweaty-palms unadulterated fun, like nothing else. That big block rumble stirs the soul in ways words cannot do justice.

To see the Vette in this post is a treat even for a Ford guy.

My mechanical engineer friend in West Virginia designed and built a 392 cu. inch Hemi mid-engine sports car, a convertible, using a first generation Toronado transaxle, which he still has. It resembles an open-cockpit Can Am car from the late 1960's.

There is no denying that the early Hemi headed mills were masterpieces, Not many cars could be lime green and still be badass. Hard to grasp how we got here from there.

Yep, now they use shock cords w/ball ends. Leather straps were common from the 1920's into the '60's. A 'positive restraint' rather than relying on a common hood latch. Perhaps better able to keep the car and the 'bonnet' together in the event of a racing 'shunt.'

I think the GM Corvette racers were called "Gran Sports" and had Nassau Blue paint jobs. Of course they had all-sorts of stuff that the other racers didn't. They may have been among the earliest GM products to use the 'porcupine' cyl head design that became the 396/427 big block.

The NASCAR equivalent of the Gran Sports was the Smokey Yunick 7/8-scale racer which ran the 'porcupine' engine in a slightly-smaller body which gave it a significant advantage in aero drag at Daytona.

Was it Gordon Jennings who, upon seeing the 1970's BMW Superbikes running (not made by the factory-at the time) monoshock frames for their Udo Geitel massaged bikes, "I see we've fallen 'way-behind in our cheating!" It seems that would be an appropriate comment for Smokey Yunick's creation.

Very difficult to get ahead of Smokey....a true genius!

LOL....Smokey didnt actually cheat. He was just a genius at thinking outside the box, and if the rule book DIDNT say that he couldnt do it, then it was fair game.

Mach5_BlueBkgrd.jpg

Latest posts

Back