K&N oil filter failure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneksoldier

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt the engine on my 94 a couple of weeks ago and opted to install a K&N oil filter cartridge. This morning was finally time for the break-in oil change. When I removed the filter cover, one of the metal ends was separated from the filter media. The glue seems to have split in 2 places and the filter media has a hole in it in one place. Hopefully this hasn't been detrimental to the health of this rebuild. OEM filters for me from now on!

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I'm thinking the glue just failed and the media developed a hole due to lack of structural support.

Check out the pics

Attachments

• 20170607_083537.jpg
    20170607_083537.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170607_083552.jpg
    20170607_083552.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170607_083619.jpg
    20170607_083619.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 56
Wow, Ive never seen that before. Maybe K&N is cutting some corners, thats crazy. Its hard to go wrong with OEM. I have been using NAPA filters made by WIX and never a failure. Thanks for sharing this, I would have used one, I thought K&N was a quality product.

I highly doubt there was anything circulating around in the oil that will hurt her, assuming there are no bits of the filter missing and unaccounted for. Remember the old type I and II oil filters that were literally a course metal strainer and nothing else? Those worked for decades! Still thats pretty alarming to see after springing for quality products.

My guesses are that it was returned/broken or the filter cap smashed it somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, haven't seen that before and i've sold those and other filters. Rest assured that at any given time a small percentage actually goes through the filter and the rest goes through the bypass area.

This may not be related.We built a turbo V6 for a local drag racer.It was a Fram and the filter collapsed with less then 500 miles.I called Fram and talked to a Fram Tech Advisor and he told me he was sending a UPS driver over to pick it up.The UPS driver arrived with a case that opened up with a round style cutout that the filter fit into perfectly.He then put it into a plastic bag that he wrote something on and sealed the bag around the container.This all happened the same day as I called.The filter holder was definitely made for the job.It made me wonder how many times this happened.Within 1 week the tech guy called back and sent me a cheque for all the damage.It wasn't cheap and they paid with no questions.

If I could find a frame brace from a newer Max, I would convert too. Anyone got one?

Thanks for the reassurance, Sean. No doubt that spin on is more convenient. I'll probably just keep on using the OEM filter. One thing I WILL do is examine them a little more closely at oil change time. Probably just a fluke, but who knows if it has happened before and I just didn't notice. I'll be keeping a closer eye on the old filter at every oil change from now on. None of the filter media was missing, so no worries that it may be floating around waiting to clog something.

Latest posts

Back