Kawasaki KZ 1000 Ltd

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester 42

Reaction score
Would appreciate any input (positive or negative) that anyone (especially previous owners) have regarding the Kawasaki KZ 1000 Ltd.

Have heard about problem with rear brakes locking up when you really have to get on them..........

Have hear about problem with nasty vibrations at high speed...........

What about those issues?
Solutions to those issues?
Other possible issues/concerns?

I'm thinking about taking a 1978 KZ 1000 out for a test run in a couple of days; if it hasn't sold before I get back to it. Have to wait; out of town for a couple of day. Must admit having some concern about really wringing it out at higher speeds, based on possible issues/concerns.

Pricing?
It's a1978; it has 22, 000 miles on it & asking price is $1,900.00.
Owner started out at $2,400.00. I refused to even discuss that number, based on age & mileage. Truthfully, $1,900.00 still seems high to me?
Owner might? go down a little further if I show up, cash in hand?
Bike is a one owner, has an extra set of tins with it, and Kerkers replacing the stock pipes.Cosmetically it looks pretty damn clean, with only minor cosmetic issues. I'm thinking about a winter/mini restoration project, and having another fun bike to ride next Spring. Older tires, and chain would be my first replacements after dealing with any mechanical issues.

I know "nothing" about the KZ 1000.
I appreciate "brutal" honesty.

Jester 42

I had an 81 KZ 1000 for quite a while. I did manage to rip 2nd gear out of it other than that I really had no problems with it. The 2nd was probably my fault I was young & ran the shit out of it. Handling was not bad for a big 80's bike but not great either kind of middle of the line for a bike of that error.

Good old bike! I took a friend with one to thunder in the valley this year, Ran and handled well, many runs from 85 - 120 through the hills of PA with No issues. Tom( the beekeeper) can verify.

The KZ was the hot ticket in their day!...........Ran with the Maxes very well at Thunder, he is going next year too isn't he?..................Tom.

I had many KZ's, 550's, 750's, & multiple 1000's. I had standards and LTD's. My favorite was a '82 KZ1000J that I had done-up in a ELR fashion except the paint was silver instead of Kawi green.

Here's my read-if the bike is really-clean, has absolutely no issues other than replaceables, such-as chain/sprockets, brakes pads, battery, or tires, unless this is the bike of your dreams from when you couldn't afford one and always wanted one, then I would say, buy it. If it has any mechanical issues, pass on it.

My '82 KZ1000J had a Falicon undercut tranny, big valves, a mild port job, GPZ1100 cams, koni shocks, Metzlers, 33 smoothbores/pods for filters, I think that was about it. Oh, and the Kerker aluminum cannister 4/1. It had a beautiful set of clocks staring-back at you, I always liked them the best of any bike I ever owned. I used to ride at night just to admire the gauges' lighting.

If you are a person 6' or + the LTD will not be comfortable unless you thin the seat and then you might not have enough padding for comfort. The LTD is a great around-town bike if you aren't going to drain several tanks of fuel in a day, or days. If that is the case, then go w/a standard chassis instead of the LTD. The standard chassis is more comfortable over the long haul.

The bike would have to pretty-clean to make me pay that much, and I wouldn't pay that much for an LTD in the first place unless it was all original and maybe 5-6K mi on it. Something like that would probably be hard to find.

I think I would keep looking for a standard instead of an LTD. You don't see as-many KZ's as you used to in the want ads, and sometimes people think they are something rare.

There was a guy here in Ft. Lauderdale FL named "Japan George" who made a nice living for himself for many years modding the inline 4's but he specialized in the Kawi KZ1000's. He made some hellacious and beautuful bikes. He's still around, but doesn't run a shop anymore. George was a real character, he spoke in a staccato delivery, and he used to make some hellacious claims, but when it came to performance mods to the Jap. 4's he was "speaking truth to power." He had a mechanic, Don, who was a factory H-D mechanic who worked for him, who was a man of few words but much talent w/wrenches. One day George asked me if I wanted to ride to lunch w/him, and since I was off-duty that day from fire-rescue and didn't have anywhere to be, I said, "yes." This was after the time of the McDuffie riots in Miami, where a Tampa jury found several Miami police officers 'not-guilty' after a trial moved from Miami because the accused officers' attorney team said they couldn't get a fair trial. Arthur McDuffie was a black motorcyclist who ran from the cops on his motorcycle after running a red light. He eventually stopped, but subsequently died in police custody allegedly due to blunt force trauma to the cranium delivered via Kel-Light. The P.D. said he died from injuries resulting from his bike accident, but the forensic evidence said otherwise. http://beck.library.emory.edu/southernchanges/article.php?id=sc02-7_009. Whole blocks of Miami went-up in flames, and you could see the multiple plumes of smoke from the next county to the north, in Ft. Lauderdale.

Anyway, so we're on our way to Lester's Diner on State Rd. 84 in Ft. Lauderdale, talking about the riots and I said, "if you get caught in one of those there's little hope for your safety," at-which point George reaches into a rear compartment of his ZX Nissan Turbo, and pulls out an Uzi!

"This is my ticket to freedom and safety," he says! Another tale of Japan George, inline-4 builder extraordinaire! There are many.

Last edited:
Would appreciate any input (positive or negative) that anyone (especially previous owners) have regarding the Kawasaki KZ 1000 Ltd.

Have heard about problem with rear brakes locking up when you really have to get on them..........

Have hear about problem with nasty vibrations at high speed...........

What about those issues?
Solutions to those issues?
Other possible issues/concerns?

I'm thinking about taking a 1978 KZ 1000 out for a test run in a couple of days; if it hasn't sold before I get back to it. Have to wait; out of town for a couple of day. Must admit having some concern about really wringing it out at higher speeds, based on possible issues/concerns.

Pricing?
It's a1978; it has 22, 000 miles on it & asking price is $1,900.00.
Owner started out at $2,400.00. I refused to even discuss that number, based on age & mileage. Truthfully, $1,900.00 still seems high to me?
Owner might? go down a little further if I show up, cash in hand?
Bike is a one owner, has an extra set of tins with it, and Kerkers replacing the stock pipes.Cosmetically it looks pretty damn clean, with only minor cosmetic issues. I'm thinking about a winter/mini restoration project, and having another fun bike to ride next Spring. Older tires, and chain would be my first replacements after dealing with any mechanical issues.

I know "nothing" about the KZ 1000.
I appreciate "brutal" honesty.

Jester 42
Did you check book value?
I refuse to pay over book value on a private sale, and have scored 3 deals that shock my friends because I am always willing to walk away if they won't take what I am willing to give. On any bike that old there WILL be issues, if not now count on it after you start to use it. factor that into the buy in price.
if I had cash, and that bike was REALLY clean, and I decided I wanted it I would offer 1400. You would be surprised what you can get if you are willing to pass on a bike when you are playing lets make a deal. Cash in hand AT THAT TIME makes people willing to deal. If it your dream bike than buy what makes you happy.

Walking away after showing cash is a powerful motivator. I've seen people take half or less of their asking price when offered cash on the spot. Last fall guy had a snowmobile trailer I liked, was asking $1100 for it. Showed up, beat up on it a little, pointed out flaws, and offered him $400. He came back with $600 and we settled on $550. Don't be afraid to hurt their feelings or "lowball".

$2400 would reflect an excellent show or near-show quality bike. "cherry"

$1900 would be a "very good" condition original. Not perfect, some nicks, scratches, or "replaceables" that need attention, but with clean paint, straight tins, no rust, and no mechanical/electrical issues.

From what you said this would be more in the $14-1500 range, meaning a bike that is 34 years old, but was well kept. Shows some wear and tear from use and time, but nothing a little TLC couldn't undo. May need some "replaceables", tires, battery, ect. A "daily driver" quality.

I've had ALOT of KZ900's and KZ1000's over the years, hence my email address. They were always great bikes, powerful, reliable, easy to work on, I had a dozen of them when I got remarried back in 2000 and got out of bikes for about 5 years. Restored a couple 69 Camaro's, got the itch again, and then decided to restore the 80's muscle bikes. The big KZ's are great bikes, but from what I've seen online, don't bring alot of money unless they are VERY low mileage or one of the "special" models, you know, the Z1 900's, MKII's, Z1R's, FI classics, etcs.......they are still great bikes with alot of parts available, but I wouldn't be buying one to resell and make profit on, that's for sure, I just don't think the market is there for the "plain jane" KZ1000's, or LTDs. I'd go look at it, and if it were REALLY nice, I'd offer about 1500, and I bet he takes it!

.they are still great bikes with alot of parts available, but I wouldn't be buying one to resell and make profit on, that's for sure, I just don't think the market is there for the "plain jane" KZ1000's, or LTDs. I'd go look at it, and if it were REALLY nice, I'd offer about 1500, and I bet he takes it!

I saw that even when I was out in Cali.; they were pretty available for less than the typical Vmax. Our fond memories outweigh the market value.

I've never had one but my first exposure or "noticing" a bike were these, best bud at college in Ok. had a KZ1000, it was a screamer with the wicked Kerker, our other friend had an LTD and it seemed to have no balls in regards to looks at least, to gentrified for my tastes...
My dream bike back then was a CB900 Custom with the two shifters tho' and when I see when they don't even turn my head, nor the LTD;

The KZ still does..

One of my favorite riding tales was riding w/a friend from Montreal, St. Luc actually, who was living & working in FL @ the time. I had a '80 & an '82 KZ1000 & we were on the interstate, I-95. The 80 had a Denco 4/1 & the 82 had the alum. Kerker 4/1. Riding side-by-side on the interstate, the harmonics of the bikes riding next to ea. other was just intoxicating. It sounded like a fighter squadron in some old WW II black & white movie, on the way to battle focke-wulfs or Mitsubishis. Bikes of today have far more power, but in the '70's & early '80's, the KZ's were pretty-much kings of the street, and yes, there were plenty of Suzuki 1000's and Honda CB 900's/1100F's that would like to argue the point, and of course, the Kawi GPZ1100's and 750 Turbos liked to play too.

Go look at what I just posted in the 'random listings, bikes for-sale' thread heading, under "buy & sell." Now tell me you aren't gonna call...

I'd like to pick up a Z1300 sometime. Six cylinder like the CBX, but made for more years, and they were never as popular as the Honda, so prices for them are more reasonable. Plus I think some of the later 80's ones had EFI.

Appreciate all input..........

Have decided to back off on KZ 1000 Ltd.
As I thought; the price is out of line based on the bike's condition, age, and mileage.

Jester 42

Back