Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R - King of 1/4 Mile

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norms 427

Reaction score
Saw the first test of this bike in MOTORCYCLIST, Mar 2012.

At the press release in Las Vegas Rickey Gadson turned a 9.61 @ 149.83 on a bone stock bike on his 1st pass.

Later, Kawasaki supplied Rickey with a lowered bike with 2 LESS teeth on the rear sprocket (but otherwise stock) and he was able to manage a 9.31 @ 151 mph. Rickey claims the bike is faster and easier to ride in the 1/4 mile with a smaller rear sprocket.

I also heard that people are strapping it, stretching it to around 66", and with just a sticky tire and a pipe (no PC) are running in the 8's at some decent speeds.

Its definitely a game changer. I'm wondering what the next generation of Suz will do.

Thing that hurts about this kind of performence is it's available to anyone who walks in with the money...too many rich dickheads out there that have no business on a bike like that...:bang head:

Back in the days of the factory hot rods you had to have a background and connections to get the latest speed toys and parts...a little common sense would go a long way towards keeping the insurance companies from going nazi on us again...

That's the only reason bikes aren't going 250mph off the showroom floor. The "gentleman's agreement" between the major manufacturers to halt the speed wars at 300km/h....or like 186mph....what all bikes on showroom floors are governed to. There's several bikes out there than will top 200 with nothing more than defeating the electronic nanny.

Now it's about "see who can get to 186mph the fastest".

This will probably also be the new preferred bike of fat-asses who want to go fast. I swear half the people I see riding Hayabusas are 300lbs+, and this looks to be more relaxed like a sport-tourer anyway.

I agree w what all of you have said.

However, it does remind me of the very similar conversations that were going on when the VMax hit the market in '85. When I bought mine in the spring of '85 I heard rumors that insurance companies might refuse to insure the bike because it was so insanely fast. Now Max is a little slow compared to stuff like this.

BTW, the same article said that Kawasaki resists disclosing any HP figures but Rickey posted a dyno chart on his facebook page that showed 195.06 HP with 114.41 lbs of torque.

Last edited:
old timer;... Thing that hurts about this kind of performence is it's available to anyone who walks in with the money...too many rich dickheads out there that have no business on a bike like that...[IMG said:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/new%20smilies/29.gif[/IMG] There will allways be people out there with more money then brains.:confused2: http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/12/29/2012-kawasaki-zx-14r-feature/

I agree w what all of you have said.

However, it does remind me of the very similar conversations that were going on when the VMax hit the market in '85. When I bought mine in the spring of '85
I heard rumors that insurance companies might refuse to insure the bike because it was so insanely fast.

More than just a rumor in my neck of the woods, Norm.
I could not find a local insurance company to insure my bike (Allstate, Statefarm, etc) , even though I've had my cars and house with these companies for decades, and have a clean, accident and claim free record. The V-max is still on the "Hooligan" black list, even after being in production since '85. Age and driving records are not considered.
I eventually got insurance through Primmum, that specialize in recreational vehicles. Have stayed with them since 2003.

back in 88 when I found a VMax sitting on the showroom floor for the first time. I was in the Army. I wanted one then, I could make my payments for the bike with not any problems but I was not able to get insurance that could afford. My agent told me that the bike was too big / fast for him to write a policy that I could swing. When I got my 98 last year, the agent that I have now did not bat an eye and 6 months of insurance was nothing compared to what it was to 1988. The max only costed me 30 buxs more than my Honda did to when I added it on my policy.

I'm 21, have one speeding ticket on my record, the Max costs me like $400/yr for full coverage through Progressive, I believe a $500 deductible.

For comparison, a quote for the Z1000 I was looking at was around $1100 for the same coverage. If I opted out of collision, it would have been about the same(if I opted out of collision for the Max it would be under $100)

A buddy with a R6 initially paid like $1600 for coverage. He was 24, never had a bike before, had speeding tickets, and bought the infamous 600-class crotch rocket.....probably the most "high risk" demographic out there.

Back