Keep on Blowing Fuses with D/Lights Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackFunTeach

Reaction score
Howide, I am trying to inststal some Kury Silver Bullets.

They have one power wire coming out of it. Grounded thru the metal housing.

I am mounting them on the Forks.

I keep on blowing fuses. Has anyone been down this road? Or any advice would be highly helpful.

Jack

Sounds like a defective bayonet going to ground if you are sure you haven't pinched-thru the insulation on the hot lead.

Try them off the bike, hooked to a battery for the ground to the case and the hot to the + lead of the battery. Be sure to have an inline fuse on your hot lead. One of those water-resistant all-rubber ones w/a snap-on cap is good, about $5 at the store. If it blows a fuse then you know it's a bad lamp.

Hey Maybe it's just laziness. I saw that I have already have a accessorry (=) and (-) hooked directly to the battery with the Battery Tender Male Female Plug. I put another of the same plug on it and split it to a neg and pos. Could this be a problem?

Jack

Hey Maybe it's just laziness. I saw that I have already have a accessorry (=) and (-) hooked directly to the battery with the Battery Tender Male Female Plug. I put another of the same plug on it and split it to a neg and pos. Could this be a problem?

Jack

Only if you reversed the leads, thinking + is - . Remember, the + always needs to be the shielded lead. So-what if the exposed - goes to ground on the frame somewhere? It's supposed to be a ground!

I think the best strategy is for me to make the whole "loop" as simple as possible. Tomorrow, I'm going to take one 20 gauge wire, bolt it on the battery's positive post, then, a switch, then a fuse, then straight to the lights. If the grounded wire within the light housing does not ground it, I'm going to get one more wire and connect it to the battery's negative post, and run it all the way to each light housing. That's got to be fool proof, correct?

Jack

The blowing fuse could come from the lack of ground. It could be possible that those lights don't ground well on a vmax.
Test it with a bulb or voltmeter one wire going to the hot lead and one one the housing.

Personally, I like to ground the accessories myself. It's easier to troubleshoot.

I ended putting a fused distribution box under the right scoop that way everything is wired properly without having spaghetti around the battery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Literally, I see the light!!!

Went at it again today. And the problem was a small nick in one of the wires within the light housing. Couldn't see it before. Ironic on account that these are the best ones that Kury Makes. Retail for over 200 for the pair, but they have skinny wires that can be nicked with a finger nail, causing a short.

Now that they are on, they are BRIGHT.

Joy, joy joy....

deep in my MAX

Thanks Bros

Jack

Sounds like a defective bayonet going to ground if you are sure you haven't pinched-thru the insulation on the hot lead.:from post #2-I win! Glad that you found it.

Literally, I see the light!!!

Went at it again today. And the problem was a small nick in one of the wires within the light housing. Couldn't see it before. Ironic on account that these are the best ones that Kury Makes. Retail for over 200 for the pair, but they have skinny wires that can be nicked with a finger nail, causing a short.

Now that they are on, they are BRIGHT.

Joy, joy joy....

deep in my MAX

Thanks Bros

Jack

my friend got some of these HID lights. They seem to be powered by a square thing that must be a disguised stun gun cause he got knocked to the floor when he turned the key on with the wire in his hand.

my friend got some of these HID lights. They seem to be powered by a square thing that must be a disguised stun gun cause he got knocked to the floor when he turned the key on with the wire in his hand.

Ah, the fun days of charging a points ignition capacitor and tossing it to the garage 'hanger-on!':rofl_200:

Those HID ignition boxes, the ballasts, have some serious voltage! After-all they have to make the gas produce 'arc-light.' That gives me an idea for a portable device to repel hoodlums...by eliminating the bulb, and having broad copper contacts, like a cattle prod, maybe. Sounds like a MacGyver weapon. :stretche:

Those lights look great. Don't forget a nighttime 'before' & 'after' garage-wall shot.

I got one even better, or potentially worse. My buddy works for KIA as a mechanic or I guess they call him a "technician." The Hybrid apparently has this big giant battery that if you goof up, it is Game Over. On a Monday AM, he was getting over the proverbial "hair of the dog." He dropped a wrench on just the wrong place, and it had this sound of zzzzit....zzzzit. He used a big hook that looks like the kind when you are being pulled off the stage. Even with the long handle, he got burned and was not right for a long time. Potentially a real bad day in his life.

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back