Keihin FCR 39mm high idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at...

Carbs sat in a box for a year. Before that who knows. Decided to put these on since I am going to rebuild/clean the stocks. Bolted intakes and seated the flatslides. Hooked up fuel line and tried to bleed the accelerator pump to no avail (dirty). Turned key and flipped the run switch to hear fuel pump kick on...and on...and on. Fuel coming out of overflow only on the left side (stuck float needle). By this point I'm already preparing myself for a cleaning. Decided to fire it up and got it running with some back firing and flames shootin out of the stacks. All in all it was runnin at idle at a little over 1k rpm.

Next, took carbs apart and sonic cleaned everything. Measured float height at 9mm. Needles are on the 6th step. Fuel screws were turned 1.25 turns. Air screws at .75 turns.

Hooked everything up and no more fuel spilling out of overflow. Gave the accelerator pump a couple of pumps by twisting the throttle and am now sending fuel to each throat.

Hit the start button and she fired right up.... however, to about 7k and stayed there. Every time. Even with the cables disconnected, idle screws off, and the slides fully closed. Even with the air screws drawn in and the fuel screws drawn out.

How do i get the idle back down?

Here's where I'm at...

Carbs sat in a box for a year. Before that who knows. Decided to put these on since I am going to rebuild/clean the stocks. Bolted intakes and seated the flatslides. Hooked up fuel line and tried to bleed the accelerator pump to no avail (dirty). Turned key and flipped the run switch to hear fuel pump kick on...and on...and on. Fuel coming out of overflow only on the left side (stuck float needle). By this point I'm already preparing myself for a cleaning. Decided to fire it up and got it running with some back firing and flames shootin out of the stacks. All in all it was runnin at idle at a little over 1k rpm.

Next, took carbs apart and sonic cleaned everything. Measured float height at 9mm. Needles are on the 6th step. Fuel screws were turned 1.25 turns. Air screws at .75 turns.

Hooked everything up and no more fuel spilling out of overflow. Gave the accelerator pump a couple of pumps by twisting the throttle and am now sending fuel to each throat.

Hit the start button and she fired right up.... however, to about 7k and stayed there. Every time. Even with the cables disconnected, idle screws off, and the slides fully closed. Even with the air screws drawn in and the fuel screws drawn out.

How do i get the idle back down?

I’d check your linkages and make sure you’re closed on all four and adjust as needed

Sounds like you are leaking a lot of air somewhere. I'd check the carb connections first.

Guess what? The direction of those plates on the slides play a very critical role on how much fuel is passing by the jets. If they’re upside down (meaning “pointed” side facing the fuel bowl) it holds the slide at about 7000 rpm.

DOH!

Back