Kerker 4-1 - Just Curious

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramalama

Reaction score
I'm just curious, but will it hurt anything to run a Kerker 4-1 without a muffler on it? I'm not sure what brand of can I have because it was on the bike when I got it but there isn't much too it. It's just straight through with a 2.5" exit. Oh and if anyone knows what kind of can that is I'm all ears. I'm not a huge fan of it because when cruising it sounds like there is a piece of paper flapping around in it or something and it sounds like crap.

_DSC0057.jpg

You can run it without a muffler, but you'll loose some of the pipes abilities that makes power.

It looks like you have a Kerker, carbon fiber muffler. I removed the kerker badge from mine too and cut it down to about 12". They're not cheap, but they are nice.

Take a peek around the can and look for two holes where the badge used to be. If its not there, you may have a different can.

Either way, you can take them apart and repack it. I didn't have any packing in mine when I took it apart. After repacking it sounded much better.

Here are some clips (first one is just the sound of it. it starts 30sec in to it, after the truck. the second clip is the sound on the road) and picture of mine for a reference of a Kerker, carbon fiber can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJTIQCZUYgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PvJL877BQ

vmaxh.jpg

Last edited:
"KJ," that's a good-lookin' ride you got there. Isn't it too-loud cruising w/the short can? I listened to the road clip & it wasn't too-bad, but the driveway ones sound louder.

I had the same truck, '85 3/4 ton 16.5" wheels, 318/727 fully-loaded, bought from my friend, the original owner, sold it w/>150K on it, still ran & lookin' good, the a-c still worked...but it only got 12-13 mpg. A real workhorse though. Yours is also lookin' good, especially for where you live & the age (truck, not the driver!).

Honestly, that's a beautiful can. Repacking is availably at many cycle supply stores.. It'll sound Awesome once done. I cut a Marks can that Kyle had in his junk pile to 12", and repacked it. I love the non raspy sound. It's now mellow like a Cherry Bomb Muffler on A V-8...

Good Luck.

PS: KJ, I sure wish I could get up there to see your bike and truck in person.. I hate the TSA an the 12 hour flight though...

Looks like mine w/ a different outlet end from Mario Aquiar . He sells 'em for around $ 300 with the 2 1/2 " outlet & his better baffle . Let me know if you need his # / e-mail address. I have bought 2 from him and really enjoy the sound from the Kerker & C.F. can . :punk:

Attachments

• 7-19-11 205.jpg
    7-19-11 205.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 29
I'm not sure of the muffler brand Mario uses but I know it's not a Kerker (he was asked to stop putting the kerker emblem on them years ago).

Sean

"KJ," that's a good-lookin' ride you got there. Isn't it too-loud cruising w/the short can? I listened to the road clip & it wasn't too-bad, but the driveway ones sound louder.

Not bad at all, Its actually nice and rumbly. It doesn't have the 2.5" baffle, It's sporting the 2" high-flow. Sean hooked me up good on the setup and I've had no regrets at all about buying it.

I think the noise difference is due to the placement of the camera. Its not uncomfortable at all while your riding. you can put many miles on it without having ringing ears syndrome (about 100 it will start to get pretty loud, but 55-80 your golden). If you rev it, it has that nice bark that a Vmax should have.

I had the same truck, '85 3/4 ton 16.5" wheels, 318/727 fully-loaded, bought from my friend, the original owner, sold it w/>150K on it, still ran & lookin' good, the a-c still worked...but it only got 12-13 mpg. A real workhorse though. Yours is also lookin' good, especially for where you live & the age (truck, not the driver!).

I love this truck, Like I said, I have a ton of history in it. Its got a few grocery cart dings, but at almost 30-years-old a few dings are expected and it adds character.

I don't take it mudding and such. Its been off road on the trails many a time, so I've had to spend some time buffing tree branch scrapes off of t. maily Its been used to pull my boat, transfer gravel or dirt, pulled a few cars out of ditches in the winter. So I like to call it "Used-pampered".

Its my little time machine. With the exception of the Kenwood (put in in the late 80's) the interior looks the same as it did when it was new and the grill and the PIAA projector headlights are the only thing changed outside. have a song come on the radio or CD (especially in the fall) and suddenly your taken back to that time. One time I was drving aroudn checking out the colors on the fall trees and wound up in the area of my old GF. Being in the area, the crisp fall air, and have some songs hit over the radio, it was eerie. I was almost like I was back in 1986 again. (insert twilight zone theme song here).

I have the chrome around the windshield ordered (rock auto still kicks ass)
Then I'll have that rusty, shrunken original gone.

PS: KJ, I sure wish I could get up there to see your bike and truck in person.. I hate the TSA an the 12 hour flight though...

I'll keep an open door for you. I try to be a good host. It was kinda surreal, but in a ass kicking good way when Shad was up here. You meet a fellow Vmax rider on a forum board, then the next thing they're in your living roon having a drink with you and shooting the breeze, its nice to put a face to the names. It was especially strange cause, my state isn't one of them joined states that you can ride to in a matter of hours. in the time it takes to get to the next largest city, someone in the lower 48 can be a few states over. But It's all good :)

"I have the chrome around the windshield ordered (rock auto still kicks ass)
Then I'll have that rusty, shrunken original gone."

I had the body shop pull the windshield & patch the roof around the opening because it was starting to get pinhole perforation. A new rubber & my old s.s. trim was solid, fixed-up the incipient problem I was having. It lasted until I sold it just fine. I did replace the round silver plastic keeper strip in the rear window rubber myself, I had the pass-thru window stock. I got a new pass-thru latch from the HELP card display @ the auto parts store.

"...have some songs hit over the radio, it was eerie. I was almost like I was back in 1986 again."

Yeah, you can get nostalgic when those songs & your ride pull you into another time (you're already in 'the place')

I'm not sure of the muffler brand Mario uses but I know it's not a Kerker (he was asked to stop putting the kerker emblem on them years ago).

Sean

My Carbon can from Mario came in an HMF box and he told me that's who made it. No markings or badging on it. My can looked identical to the one posted by Ramalama. It wouldn't hurt anything to run without a can, except your ears and maybe wallet if you get busted by the cops. You would probably get some popping out the exhaust under de-acceleration. The Kerker with no can is LOUD! I started mine a few times without the can, but never rode it that way.

My Carbon can from Mario came in an HMF box and he told me that's who made it. No markings or badging on it. My can looked identical to the one posted by Ramalama. It wouldn't hurt anything to run without a can, except your ears and maybe wallet if you get busted by the cops. You would probably get some popping out the exhaust under de-acceleration. The Kerker with no can is LOUD! I started mine a few times without the can, but never rode it that way.

I can't remember if my c.f. can from Mario came in a HMF box , but when I initially asked him about the HMF c.f. can , he emphatically stated " he made 'em and not HMF " . ( like I give a flip who made it ) It fit the Kerker perfect though and gives a good " K " sound.

That being said , stay tuned 'cause the monkey showed up and he had a few " suggestions " for the blue '90 .

Attachments

• 7-19-11 959.jpg
    7-19-11 959.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 15
I have one Marios can around here missing the guts and end cap (blew off). overall the cans are nice. I don't think they are the same level of quality though as the true kerker can is. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one of his though.

And, without a can of some sort the backpressure drops enough that some performance is lost.

Sean

Latest posts

Back