kerker baffle question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampfox357

Reaction score
I am new to the V max thing. I have had it about 3 weeks now. I do enjoy the bike but I think I need some ear plugs. My ear are ring after I get off the bike. I have a 4 to 2 to 1 kerker with as best I can tell a 2.5" baffle. I measure the Id of the opening on exit of the muffler. I did repack the muffler to try and reduce the noise but this did not help. lol I love the sound but it is just too loud. My question is how much will it help to get a 2" or 1.5"baffle. I dont want to waste my money if its not worth it. With the smaller baffles will it still have that small block sound? I also dont want to give up much power ether. I took me 25 years to get around to getting one of these bikes man I wish I had done this soonier.:th_image003:

I am new to the V max thing. I have had it about 3 weeks now. I do enjoy the bike but I think I need some ear plugs. My ear are ring after I get off the bike. I have a 4 to 2 to 1 kerker with as best I can tell a 2.5" baffle. I measure the Id of the opening on exit of the muffler. I did repack the muffler to try and reduce the noise but this did not help. lol I love the sound but it is just too loud. My question is how much will it help to get a 2" or 1.5"baffle. I dont want to waste my money if its not worth it. With the smaller baffles will it still have that small block sound? I also dont want to give up much power ether. I took me 25 years to get around to getting one of these bikes man I wish I had done this soonier.:th_image003:

Yup, the 2.5 is their biggest. If you have already re-packed it and it didn't make a difference, Try and score a turn-down for the end of it, to get the noise away from you. If not a 2" or a 1.5" will calm the noise.

Also if you get a universal muff from supertrapp (2.5, 2, 1.5") you can tune it down with the addition/subtraction of discs and a closed end cap.

Here is an old example of stock open pipes, open Kerker, Kerker carbon fiber 2" and a 2" supertrapp;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-PyY9TaZ4

Yes the 2.5 is a loud drony sound until you open it up.
The 1.5 sounds good. but you notice the power difference a lot.
2 inch probably the best.

As mentioned, ther endcap change will quiet down the drone

I have the 2.5 baffle with the 1.5 endcap...big and different sound difference.

:punk: You will lose about 10 RWHP putting on the smaller quiet baffles. Like mentioned above buy ear plugs and have fun. Good Luck, Spurs

Wow 10 whp is a lot to give up. What about the Supertrapp muffler with the discs inside so you can tune the sound to your liking. Will that give you less loss with the sound reduction I m looking for? The one in the picture.

ZZ44635_A.jpg

Last edited:
Wow 10 whp is a lot to give up. What about the Supertrapp muffler with the discs inside so you can tune the sound to your liking. Will that give you less loss with the sound reduction I m looking for? The one in the picture.

ZZ44635_A.jpg

Not sure what that can does for horse power. The 10 RWHP was done on the dyno with my bike and shows the difference between the 1-1/2" baffle and the 2 - 1/2" baffle. When setting these bikes uip with a stage 7 kit and full exhaust you need a dyno to get it correct. Spend some extra cash and do it right. Good Luck, Spurs:punk:

Wow 10 whp is a lot to give up. What about the Supertrapp muffler with the discs inside so you can tune the sound to your liking. Will that give you less loss with the sound reduction I m looking for?

Its a good muffler, it will both reduce sound and give you tune-ability for HP and Tq, like the external disc units you can adjust to what you want. Keep in mind the fewer the discs the more hp is going to drop. But, you'll gain some torque to a point (dropping to 2 discs doesn't mean more tq, but 6 or so would), HP is basically your top end and torque is what gets you there. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionSixB.htm

Personally, I'd gladly give up 10hp for more torque in the right area. I don't go around riding in the 140-150's on a regular basis.

I do like the idea of setting it up like I want it. But if I want to go to loud I can put old one on. I just dont want to choke the motor off. It runs good from down low all the way up. It is the best bike down low I have every rode. I agree if you trade torue for hp it is more usable. I just want to make sure it is going to sound and run good or what is the point.

Ok I installed the supertrapp. It has the same sound but tone down to a point that is nice to ride but still turns heads. It correct a issue also the bike was bad about surging with a small amount of throttle. This made it hard to pull out on to the road and in parking lots. Now it is smoother at that point. Much more predictable to ride.

Back