Kerker removal tips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
OK guys. Many of you may have seen the '85 I'm parting out in the Parts section.

It has a nice Kerker on it that I'm switching to my '94 which has a "not as nice" Kerker.

My question is, does anybody have a neat trick for separating the two halves without dinging the chrome or, worse, denting the pipes?

I am having a bitch of a time getting the two farging halves separated. Schidt, if this nicer, newer pipe is tough, I'm wondering what joys await me when I go to pull mine off the '94 - which shows a nice orangish tint up in those inner recesses...if you know what I mean.

Helpful hints would be appreciated. I have already invented a few new four letter words and it didn't help.

:bang head:

Man, I had the same problem with an 85 I was parting out. Chrome 4 into 2 Kerker also. The only advice I can give is take it slow and easy, don't get impatient, helps if you can get the bike up on a lift and get under it. Spray all the joints with WD and let them soak for a few days, then just wiggle, pull, cuss and repeat. I bet it took me a full day to get that exhaust off eventually, what a PITA!!!!!!

Kroil, a brass punch, a small hammer and alot of patience... You'll probably invent a few new cuss words too

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I suggest using either a propane torch or an acetylene torch to heat the joints. Some PB Blaster, a bit of tapping/twisting, and voila!

Feel around the joints for a small screw , sometimes drilled & set , where you can't see 'em , to keep them together.

Finally got back onto the bike today...

And the WINNER is:

PROPANE TORCH :clapping:

(in conjunction with)

...more new four letter words

...judicious use of PB Blaster

...long screwdriver lever

Shameless plug - I still have a bunch of bits from this '85. See PARTS forum.

Back