Kerker / Supertrapp install complete.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewfus

Reaction score
So I got the bike a few months ago, and my ambition finally kicked in to install the Kerker 4-2-1 with a Supertrapp silencer that came with the bike. The owner prior to the guy I got the bike from had installed it and did the re-jet. The OEM was re-installed to make a wife happier.

Yowza, what a difference! Between the weight loss and power increase, this is approaching my idea of a perfect machine. I lowered the disc count to 4 from 13, and there is no perceptible difference in noise on the highway. The boulevard rumble is quite a bit more raucous though.

Not bad for $2700 total eh?

Attachments

• 20130519_182230.jpg
    20130519_182230.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 94
It kinda looks like this one:
http://shop.mek.biz/product_info.php/info/p54_MEK-Front-Fender--Vmax-.html/language/en

54_2.JPG

Cool. I'll look around again for that brace with the lowering tubes to get it closer to my tire.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Time to upgrade your brakes. There are many ways to go. You can bolt-on a 1993+ front end which gives you larger-dia front forks/downtubes (7.5% bigger in dia.), and makes it easier to swap for better calipers, from an R-1 Yamaha w/its 100 mm O.C. mounting, for example. All you would need is a pair of triple trees, and the downtube/slider combos. Everything else bolts up, but you do need to go to the 298 mm dia front rotors the 1993+ VMaxes came-with. You should be able to find a good used set like that for ~$250+ and it may include the stock two-pair opposed piston calipers that the 1993+ bikes came-with, which aren't bad if you get some HH-rated pads for them. I say it's better to make changes like calipers and springs, RICORS or Cartridge Emulators to the better stock 1993+ front end instead of spending all that $ on your smaller 40 mm downtubes your '86 has.

Going to an upside-down fork will probably run you $1,000+. Buying adapters to stick with your 40 mm downtubes while upgrading to another manufacturer's caliper/rotor combo, and possibly another master cylinder, isn't to my way of thinking as big a bang for the buck as the newer front end. Crunch the numbers for yourself.

You got a good value for the $ it looks-like, have fun next season. The exhaust looks good, too.

Back