Key replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have lost my only key for my 1997 vmax. I have heard there is a code possibly on the ignition switch that you can use to order a replacement key? If so can you tell me where it is located? Yes I know I should have had a spare made. Procrastination.

Thank you
Jim

I have lost my only key for my 1997 vmax. I have heard there is a code possibly on the ignition switch that you can use to order a replacement key? If so can you tell me where it is located? Yes I know I should have had a spare made. Procrastination.

Thank you
Jim

The numbers to the code are on the original key.

I believe you can take the plastic neck cover off key side . I think its underneath the switch but its around there somewhere not hard to find ..

This is what it looks like like with the cover off-can't find any #'s

Attachments

• CIMG2247.jpg
    CIMG2247.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 39
Update: The code is on the side of the outer case. It is down near where it mates to the bracket. It is a black piece of what looks like tape. Mine is black tag on the black ignition and the numbers are kind of stamped on the tape. The are small and very hard to see. I did get mine and was able to order a pair of ket\ys from a place in PA. They are on ebay. [email protected] Is his email. My keys worked in my ignition, gas cap and the tank cover lock. I am very happy as the local locksmith wouldn't let me bring in the ignition and for him to come to the bike and make a key was $190.

"...local locksmith wouldn't let me bring in the ignition and for him to come to the bike and make a key was $190."

Now, do you have any need to ever need the services of this aXX____? If not, I would be sure to go by and tell him that you are not going to pay some extortionate amount of gouging! Tell him that you gladly would have used his services if he had been decent about allowing you to buy a key from him, but that since he wanted to violate you financially, you chose to find a financially-reasonable source to get your key made, and that you will be sure to post on facebook about his attempt to screw you! What a sh__head!

One of our member is a locksmith, if you did a search, you could have found out who it is, and he's done similar fixes for members, very reasonably.

In this internet age, bad publicity is something that can affect a businesses' bottom line, and I can only hope that your spreading the word on this avaricious money-grubber will hurt him financially.

Just be sure you NEVER have to go back there!

Update: The code is on the side of the outer case. It is down near where it mates to the bracket. It is a black piece of what looks like tape. Mine is black tag on the black ignition and the numbers are kind of stamped on the tape. The are small and very hard to see. I did get mine and was able to order a pair of ket\ys from a place in PA. They are on ebay. [email protected] Is his email. My keys worked in my ignition, gas cap and the tank cover lock. I am very happy as the local locksmith wouldn't let me bring in the ignition and for him to come to the bike and make a key was $190.

Yea, our locksmith guy will make one from scratch for a SHIT LOAD less then that! By the way, if you want to send a spare I do keep them on hand in the event a customer loses a key (on stuff they get from me).

Hello,

I just bought my 2014 V-max and it came with only 1 key. What is the best way to get another one made? I hear that going to a locksmith is the way to go. Is there a way to get the key out of that dumbass plastic knob?

Thanks,
Roger Lorion

Hello,

I just bought my 2014 V-max and it came with only 1 key. What is the best way to get another one made? I hear that going to a locksmith is the way to go. Is there a way to get the key out of that dumbass plastic knob?

Thanks,
Roger Lorion

I'm sure if the locksmith needs the key out of the knob he will have a method to do this. I would check out Sean's locksmith since he's a known quanitity, or check out this StarVmax post: http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/12-general-vmax-discussion/137143-vmax-key

Latest posts

Back