VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnightvmax

Reaction score
I just found out today that if your kickstand is out the engine will die if put in to gear.
I'm sure most of you know this but I didn't and couldn't figure it out until I was going to park it and call the wife for a ride so I could get my trailer.
Anyway, if you didn't know now you do.

Yup, there are three switches that make up this system - one at the kick stand, one at the gearbox (neutral switch) and one at the clutch lever.

Funnily it doesn't work with the center stand, so be careful if you have ever take on a very fat pillion! ;-)

Did you trailer it or figure it out first?

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Went to Lowe's. Came out, started it in 1st, clutch in, kick stand down. Let out on clutch, it died. Did it 2 more times! Then I said to myself what is going on? Looked around, saw the kick stand was down. Put it up, smooth sailing. I learned one, without trailering.........

Heck, I owned my 85 for over 20, nearly 25 years, before I realized it had factory self-cancelling turn signals.

This makes me laugh!

I call learning about these things the T&E method. TRIAL AND ERROR.

Who wants to read a book, we just want to mount a monster......

i actually turn off bikes usually but putting the kickstand down. i perfer to park in gear.

my nt650 doesn't have one (nor did the harley) and makes for fun parking sometimes. whoops.

Damned XS1100 jumped out from under me and fell one time when I hopped on, hit the starter & turned the key on - all at the same time.......aka, no neutral switch & parked in gear. Very embarassing in public when that happens.

i actually turn off bikes usually but putting the kickstand down. i perfer to park in gear.

my nt650 doesn't have one (nor did the harley) and makes for fun parking sometimes. whoops.

Same. Every bike I'm on now has the kickstand killswitch and it's become a habit to just put it down and pull the key. Every so often I jump on the 80's shadow and put the stand down and momentarily puzzle at why the bike is still running then remember what the deal is.

One of these times it's going to bite me.

Yup, there are three switches that make up this system - one at the kick stand, one at the gearbox (neutral switch) and one at the clutch lever.

Funnily it doesn't work with the center stand, so be careful if you have ever take on a very fat pillion! ;-)

It doesn`t work with the center stand???? - Thanks for letting know! :worthy:

I?ll toss this in, being as it's a drive or trailer home situation. If the key switch dies. You can jump all the wires to the switch together and ride home. All you need is 3 short wires. Disconnect the plug and shunt away. I carry a little plug I made from the bad switch now. Just plug it in and everything is hot. If you have an older Gen 1, it's a matter of time before this might happen. Leaving your bike on the side of the highway sucks.
Steve-o

i am having same problem
engine DOES crank but doesnot start when kickstand is down
kindly guide

Back