Kickstand hunt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Anyone making a shorter, preferably nicer looking kick for the max? I figure I'll probably have to buy something for a Star cruiser and modify it but doesn't hurt to check in with you guys, if it's out there I'm sure someone here knows about it.

Well, there are custom stands out there (expensive) or we have cut down stock stands on hand that can be powdercoated or chromed (need a core returned too).

Sean

Anyone making a shorter, preferably nicer looking kick for the max? I figure I'll probably have to buy something for a Star cruiser and modify it but doesn't hurt to check in with you guys, if it's out there I'm sure someone here knows about it.

This one looks nice especially for a lowered vmax. It's a UFO for $80 and it has 3 settings. I found it on EBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364866218.392660.jpg

How much did you lower your bike, Mr.Noxx?
I just lowered mine 11/2" in the front, 1" in the back. To compensate, I filed down the sidestand pivot point on the frame, and also took a bit off the sidestand itself, where it mates with the pivot point. The sidestand now protrudes further forward, so that the original lean angle has been restored.
Being further forward also lessens the chance of the bike rolling forward and tumbling over, if you happen to park it on a slight downgrade.
Thanks to Brian, "Redbone" for this idea.
Other folks have heated their sidestands with a o-a torch, and bent them forward, after lowering their bikes. I have no experience with this technique, just remember seeing the posts.
Cheers!

How much did you lower your bike, Mr.Noxx?
I just lowered mine 11/2" in the front, 1" in the back. To compensate, I filed down the sidestand pivot point on the frame, and also took a bit off the sidestand itself, where it mates with the pivot point. The sidestand now protrudes further forward, so that the original lean angle has been restored.
Being further forward also lessens the chance of the bike rolling forward and tumbling over, if you happen to park it on a slight downgrade.
Thanks to Brian, "Redbone" for this idea.
Other folks have heated their sidestands with a o-a torch, and bent them forward, after lowering their bikes. I have no experience with this technique, just remember seeing the posts.
Cheers!

I have done the torch (oxy-acet rig) method several times with great results. Always had the stand powdercoated after. Leave bike on sidestand and heat all along the center area of the stand (not just in one place or the bend will be too sharp) and gently pull on the handlebars till it bends to the angle you want. Moving the torch closer and farther will control the heat precisely so it won't bend too fast. If it is bending at the wrong place, just move the torch where you want it. Very easy. Let it cool naturally then paint or powdercoat.

I have done the torch (oxy-acet rig) method several times with great results. Always had the stand powdercoated after. Leave bike on sidestand and heat all along the center area of the stand (not just in one place or the bend will be too sharp) and gently pull on the handlebars till it bends to the angle you want. Moving the torch closer and farther will control the heat precisely so it won't bend too fast. If it is bending at the wrong place, just move the torch where you want it. Very easy. Let it cool naturally then paint or powdercoat.

I did mine with a torch and it turned out fine. I actually put two bends in it (an offset ) so that the touch plate still hits the ground flat.

This method makes the spring touch the stand when its down but that's ok by me, it doesn't bind.

You can't go wrong with the UFO or voodoo on eBay for $80-$85 look nice and made nice, but I still had to go back to a cut down stock one I dropped 2" in front and 1.5" in the back

...To compensate, I filed down the sidestand pivot point on the frame, ... Thanks to Brian, "Redbone" for this idea....
I understand but don't comprehend. Got pics? Please elaborate? I've got a shortened kickstand, but I think I'd like to do this as well to address the "rolling forward".

Thank you Miles for the credit, but I was just using someone else's idea that I found. Greg if you look at your kickstand where it hits the stop, that is where I filed a very little bit off. Since you already have a shortened side stand so you will need very little as well. You don't want to do too much because it will put more weight on the side stand and cause it to sink into soft asphalt or dirt easier.
I really like the VooDoo black side stand but what is that long bar for, is that so you can lower it from the riding position? It seems like overkill, does anyone have a picture of it mounted.

I understand but don't comprehend. Got pics? Please elaborate? I've got a shortened kickstand, but I think I'd like to do this as well to address the "rolling forward".

Ninj, as you can see in the pic, the pivot area of my sidestand is covered by auxiliary shrouding (installed to cover up lower exterior frame...which was my very first mod, to address high speed wobble)
Anyway, filing the pivot point is no big deal, just takes a bit of time, and several checks for contact as you progress.
Put your bike on the centerstand, then fold the sidestand out, so that you can see the area where the stand and pivot area make contact. This is the area that you file or grind down, so that the stand will project further ahead.
If you choose to remove the metal from the pivot, put a "transfer" medium, such as a anti-seize compound, on the sidestand area that makes contact. Then put the stand in the down position. The compound will transfer to the pivot area. Remove this metal. Keep repeating this process, until you get the desired angle. Keep in mind that the more you angle the stand , the more the lean angle will increase.
I always carry a small rectangle of aluminum metal, to spread out the load under the stand if on soft ground or hot asphalt.
Cheers!
p.s. Ignore the dust. My bike lives in a woodworking shop.

Attachments

• P1010921.jpg
    P1010921.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 35
You can't go wrong with the UFO or voodoo on eBay for $80-$85 look nice and made nice, but I still had to go back to a cut down stock one I dropped 2" in front and 1.5" in the back

I want to lower my bike as well similar to you. Are you saying the UFO or Voodoo stand wasn't suitable because your bike was too low? Or other reason? I thought I read that both are adjustable for a bike lowered by 2".

Latest posts

Back