Killing with Kindness-Batteries Greatist Hits

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most any question you might have, about bike batteries, answered. Thanks for the posting.

good read.
And I'm going to add a True story of stupidity, LOL. My old neighbour mike had a dead car battery that wouldn't take a charge. His buddy told him to-" hook 110 volts from his out-let to the battery backwards for 1 second, and it would clean all the plates off" !! OMG, I couldn't believe what he was telling me ! I said "mike, I honestly would not do this." So Mike walked away disappointed and I continued sanding down an old truck in the shop. About 20 minutes later I heard a BOOOMMM !! I ran over to mikes...he was holding his face dancing around in circles,...there was parts of battery all over his yard and the strong smell of sulfer. His wife and I helped him in the house to wash his face. He said he had a ringing in his ear for 3 days LOL. what a knuckle head, just when you think you've seen everything LOL. It could have turned out way worse..but
I'm laughing as I'm typing this....dam that was funny ,,LOL

My thoughts after reading that article are DON'T Buy a Wet Cell battery.
A Sealed AGM is sooooo much better.
My 2 OEM YUASA's both only lasted 2 years each and I kept them full and trickle charged.
My UB12180 AGM lasted 9 years and all I had to do was charge it every 2-3 months or so.

On the subject of excess voltage (that was a scary story, I saw a few blown batteries working fire-rescue, thankfully no one died, but they were all hurting!), and not to do w/a car battery: I was at a stereo shop, and the dealer had a JL Audio 12" woofer loaded into a floor-standing cabinet that looked like a barrel, w/an opening circumferentially at its base, about the first 3" up from the floor. The salesman was trying to get me to purchase the JL Audio components. He dropped a piece of paper next to the 'barrel' and said, "these drivers are very rugged, watch this!" He took a speaker lead pair which was wired up to a 120 V AC male plug, and calmly plugged it into a wall outlet.

There was a sound like a transformer blowing (you'll know exactly what I mean if you've ever heard one!), and the room was filled with it. The piece of paper lying next to the speaker port vanished inside, sucked-up like it was some huge vacuum cleaner. The salesman unplugged the speaker, and the overload sound stopped. It was in the voltage overload mode for two, maybe three seconds. He then hooked it up to a bass-heavy music source, and the barrel-bass played normally. Quite a demo of the robust build of JL Audio woofers! They're built in south FL.

I remember Bose stereo used to do this kind of demonstration 25 years ago. Amazing !!

Latest posts

Back