KN Air Filter Upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieK2

Reaction score
Got a good deal on a air filter today. Has anyone replaced their filter can give me some info on how to do it. I had the seat off, took off the front and back screws from one scoop and the screws at the back of the dummy tank. Felt like something was still holding the tank at the front? I stopped at that point. Hopefully someone here can give me some direction on how to replace this air filter.

Take the Faux tank over off (using your key) then unscrew all the screws on the top of the air box including the 2 that hold the rubber hoses to it and remove the old filter and put in the K&N filter.
Just be sure the K&N filter is oiled Properly before you install it.
http://www.knfilters.com/video/KN_Air_Filter_Cleaning.htm
See page 6-8 and 6-19 in the Owners Manual below.

Attachments

• Vmax-Tank-Cover-Removal.jpg
    Vmax-Tank-Cover-Removal.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Vmax-Air-Filter-Replacement.jpg
    Vmax-Air-Filter-Replacement.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32
Scoops stay on.
The airbox has maybe 6 Phillips head screws around its perimeter. Two of the screws hold the carb vent hoses on the sides of the box.
Two of the screws are up front right next to the gauge pod that holds the tach.

Sorry the info I posted is for the Gen 1 (I saw a 2007 listed as your Vmax).
I have no idea what it takes on a Gen 2.
But I'm sure it will be in the Owners manual as well.

Hahaa me too !! on the gen 2 there's a few screws under the shroud that covers the screen and 3 more screws you have to get from the front of bike all together 8 screws I believe

I don't think the scoops have to come loose, whatsoever, in order to get the Gen II air box open ONCE the top Faux cover is off. (both our Gen II's have the big air kits and no longer have the airbox inside)

You will have to remove a single screw on the SS top cover around the Faux cover instrumentation. That will expose four(4) more screws inside that must be removed. These four are fairly close together. Two hold the instrumentation up flush with the Faux cover, and the other two hold the faux cover downward. Then there are the two forward screws at the very front of the Faux cover, one on either side of the steering neck. You will have to rotate the steering from side to side to get each of those out. You already said you have the lower, rear two bolts out of the cover.

Now as you are liftling from the back of the cover, you will want to press down on the rubber inserts around two of the inner, previously hidden bolts near the instrumentation. This will keep those grommets in their proper place on the bike as the cover comes off.

GET THEE to a service manual asap. It comes in very handy.

Back