Kosman done?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrostude

Reaction score
I just wrapped up my rear wheel weldup with Sandy Kosman. I considered aftermarket wheels but the throwback gearhead in me says a weldup is cool. And bang for the buck too.

After exchanging info and telling me he would ship it in the morning, he told me I had the distinction of being his last customer.

If it's true, I am saddened, but also very honored.

Next step... any favorite radial set recommendations for a non-notched swing arm? (5.5 x 17 rear, stock front wheel)... time to shop...

Choices will be limited if he's not going to do them anymore. The only option from me is an RC but the wheel width I believe is a lot larger (6.25").

I had another weldup wheel supplier I used many years ago and need to see if he'd do them again for me.

Choices will be limited if he's not going to do them anymore. The only option from me is an RC but the wheel width I believe is a lot larger (6.25").

I had another weldup wheel supplier I used many years ago and need to see if he'd do them again for me.

That would be good....eventually I want to go with a widened front wheel.

I checked the Kosman website but there isn't anything posted there about the service ending. Guess he sold the business a couple of years ago, but still retained some involvement.

I have a friend who used to weld-up wheels for bikes, but I don't think he's done any for awhile. His pricing was comparable to what Sandy Kosman was charging. I asked him awhile ago about 'would you do one,' for my VMax, and he said 'yes.' I got a used Kosman instead at that time. I'll ask him again today, as he's picking up a pair of my heads to re-work.

Don't know if anyone has tried but thanks to the Captain, I have a Vrod rear I was intending to send to Sandy to whittle down an 85 rear hub and weld it up to the Vrod rim. That would open a whole new world of tire sizes for a Vmax. Sean, if Sandy IS done, maybe run this past your guy?!

Don't know if anyone has tried but thanks to the Captain, I have a Vrod rear I was intending to send to Sandy to whittle down an 85 rear hub and weld it up to the Vrod rim. That would open a whole new world of tire sizes for a Vmax. Sean, if Sandy IS done, maybe run this past your guy?!

+1

The kosman weldup is/was the ONLY way for us poor folk to get a better rear wheel. (not that I even have the $$ yet, I just hoped that when I was ready, somebody would be able to do it). :(

Does this mean the Kosman wheels are now " classics " and worth more money ? :rofl_200:

Attachments

• DSC02485.jpg
    DSC02485.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 45
yeah I checked the websites too (both SKRacing and Kosman Specialties) as soon as I got off the phone; perhaps the new owners of the latter will still do weldups or hub work.

It may be of note that I called to pre-arrange the work, and Sandy had the wheel for well over a month before he got around to modifying it, although I was in no real hurry. Hope I am wrong but just passing along what he told me.

Does this mean the Kosman wheels are now " classics " and worth more money ? :rofl_200:
No, It means nobody wants them, and people will mock you for having it. So I'll do you this one favor and let you give it to me. :biglaugh: ;)

My bike has a Vrod rear...

Who modded it? was it costly? (if ya dont mind my askin) also, what size tire ya got on there? stock arm? (i think I saw you mention all this in a thread, but don't recall)
thanks.

No, It means nobody wants them, and people will mock you for having it. So I'll do you this one favor and let you give it to me. :biglaugh: ;)

No problem . Just like the sign at the bars states : " Free Beer Tomorrow ".
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: I'll box it up for you , tomorrow .

V-Four...I wish I knew!!! Bought it off Ebay for like $350 w/good rubber. I took the chance because he had pics of it on his bike with a stock swingarm. I think he told me over the phone...pretty sure it wasn't Kosman as I was considering that route. The wheel came with a Metzler ME880 Marathon...180/55-18. When I installed it had lots of offset...had to do pivot bolt thingy to make it look decent...otherwise, it was the best money spent in the handling department...nothing like radials!!! In the pic you can clearly see the shock bottoms offset to the left...

Attachments

• photo (12).jpg
    photo (12).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 43

I'm curious the cost between modding/welding the front/rear or just the rear. I bought a set of Carrz from Sean, added Radials and a custom Arm and never looked back. (There are other things planned).
I encourage everyone to purchase from Vendors from the VMF. Sean will often find a way to get what you want at the same cost or better. And Kyle, he's a hunter and you'll always be happy with his findings/cost.
Sometimes you just need to be a bit patient and
Deals come around the VMF on new and Used stuff...

Honestly, talk to Sean about the few sets of Carrozerrias he has left. Put a good deposit down and ride the finest Rims. I'm sure you could talk about a reasonable lay-a-way. That way, eventually, you'll get to feel for yourself what a great Rim it is.

I applaud your willing a to try welding up yourself a rim but that's something I'd leave to a pro.
I think your life is worth more!

Huh, thats weird. I just talked to Sandy last tuesday and he said he aas in the proccess of moving his shop, and that in a few months he would be ready to do my rim for me.

Not sure where you guys get your info from............

Perhaps it was the last wheel from that location...there's always room for improvement in the massive realm of communication...

I couldn't be happier with my wheels from Kosman. Both came to me from members here. Sean found me the front last year to match the back. Like said, it's a good alternative to get radials on your ride for
cheap money. All you need is the back wheel and your in business. I rode with a 110/80 radial up front for a few years. Huge improvement.

Sean's price on a set of Carrozerrias is more than fair, and I considered it, but I can build up a Studebaker V8 for the difference in price. (which I'm also doing...and I'm still married! Preserving the domestic tranquility and all.) And yes they are gorgeous but I do prefer the OEM look to a point. I would have to question whether they actually make the bike handle better- the big improvement is the radials.

Yellowandfast- I hope he'll still do yours but don't bet the farm on it, again just relaying what Sandy told me THIS Tuesday. Life happens sometimes. I would think that if a guy could retire today and maybe leave a jig set up in the shed to mod an occasional vmax wheel for beer money, life would be good.

Back