Kosman Rear Wheel Modification questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newklear

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am filling out the form for Sandy to modify the rear wheel on my 2001 VMAX.

Please help with the following questions that I need answered to complete the form:

1) Square or round lip?

2) New width? I'm not looking for some huge tire, just an 18".

3) Off center dimensions?

4) Do I need any spacers or adapters or ?????

Thanks ,

Newk

Hey All,

I am filling out the form for Sandy to modify the rear wheel on my 2001 VMAX.

Please help with the following questions that I need answered to complete the form:

1) Square or round lip?

2) New width? I'm not looking for some huge tire, just an 18".

3) Off center dimensions?

4) Do I need any spacers or adapters or ?????

Thanks ,

Newk

1. I asked them and they said most went with round so that's what I did.
2. I went with 6" so I could fit a 200/50-18 properly but you need a heavy notch to do that so either 5" or 5.5" would be better with a 180 or smaller.
3. I had them make mine straight just like stock but I did need to make a 1/4" spacer to put under the cush drive and an axle spacer and had to mill 1/4" off the caliper bracket. If I had done the mock up first I could have had the wheel offset 1/4" to the right and not had to mess with it.
4. Only if your off center like I was, check your stock wheel and if your happy with how it's centered then you shouldn't need any offset or to make any spacers.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• IMAG0286.jpg
    IMAG0286.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 329801_2270325519520_244263977_o.jpg
    329801_2270325519520_244263977_o.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 43
1. I asked them and they said most went with round so that's what I did.
2. I went with 6" so I could fit a 200/50-18 properly but you need a heavy notch to do that so either 5" or 5.5" would be better with a 180 or smaller.
3. I had them make mine straight just like stock but I did need to make a 1/4" spacer to put under the cush drive and an axle spacer and had to mill 1/4" off the caliper bracket. If I had done the mock up first I could have had the wheel offset 1/4" to the right and not had to mess with it.
4. Only if your off center like I was, check your stock wheel and if your happy with how it's centered then you shouldn't need any offset or to make any spacers.

Hope this helps...

this is pretty good info.

i think the first question you need to ask yourslef if you will be notching your swingarm or not. i assume you already saw the pros/cons of 17" vs 18" rim so we don't need to rehash it here.

Thanks so much, guys.....

Will go for the 5.5" width. Don't need to mess with notching the arm but am going to wait until UFO Performance sends the new arm to get measurements.

It seems that what you all are saying is that the 18" wheel will fit without modifications or notching and that's what I'd like to go with.

Thanks so much, guys.....

Will go for the 5.5" width. Don't need to mess with notching the arm but am going to wait until UFO Performance sends the new arm to get measurements.

It seems that what you all are saying is that the 18" wheel will fit without modifications or notching and that's what I'd like to go with.

an 18" x 5.5" is going to be VERY close without notching.

My Kosman is a 5.5" wide, 18" diameter with a 170/60-18 tire and I had to do the washer swap to fit. A 160/60-18 would probably fit without the swap. My wheel is centered better that most and looks ok from the back. No noticeable offset. A 17" wheel will allow a wider tire and more tire selections but I didn't like the looks.

I have several pics in my albums for reference. Mine is the old bolt-up version, not the welded newer one. Also powdercoated gloss black.

The website for UFO Performance Products describes their swing arms as braced AND notched, so that should take care of the clearance issues.......????? Am trying to confirm with them as to the notching but they're not exactly quick about returning calls.

Back