Kuryakyn Iso-wings.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Short review, these blow ass.

Detail review. I mounted these in conjunction with a set of Seeger forward controls. They look good, and they feel good, offering plenty of room to shuffle your feet around on longer rides.

Where the problem arises, at least on the wings with male mounts, is Kuryakyns infinitely adjustable angle via a ball joint and a set screw. If you get these with splined adapters (I'm going to return mine, and try those) they may not blow. However the setscrew system just isn't sturdy enough to handle any real load. Given that the mounting point is pretty far off center, when you apply any real pressure to the rear of these boards, say, using your feet to reposition your ass on the vinyl log Yamaha calls a seat, the setscrew blows loose.

retorque it with thread locker. Blows loose.

Replace it with a grade 8 setscrew with a wicked point and snap a 3/32 wrench driving that bad boy home. Blows loose.

They'd be great if they'd stay where you put them, however at this point I've given up on them. I'll return them and either get the splined adapter type, or move up to their constellation boards with a splined adapter.

If Kuryakyn had used an index system instead of an infinite system, I'm sure I would have never had a peep of trouble from them. Build quality is nice, the rubber pads are comfy and replacable.

I'm old fashioned tho, I like shit to stay where I mounted it.

Splined would be better but you can always drill a point into the shaft and sharped the tip of the bolt. Much like your choke set screw on the chaok shaft.

Sean

Splined would be better but you can always drill a point into the shaft and sharped the tip of the bolt. Much like your choke set screw on the chaok shaft.

Sean

I know, but for a $100 a pair I'd rather not have to do my own engineering :p

So yeah....

It turns out that I am a KNOB, see, and there's actually more than one way to adjust the play on these.

Turns out (and I didn't know this, because mine didn't come with instructions :bang head: thank you very much) that not all of the bolts running thru these are there to keep the rubber inserts in place. The largest one, with the head on the point of the wing, runs all the way thru the board and sucks in the rotator, which is cone shaped... you get the idea, right. Given that, I don't even know why there's a tiny setscrew adjustment. Baffling.

So anyway I torqued that sucker down and now I can't move them even when I try. Will take it to work tonight and see how it holds up.

edit: I will add in defense of my own retardedness, that the Kurakyn site doesn't have an installation pdf for these either, altho they seem to for all their other products.

Latest posts

Back