Kyle's Monkey bike? Needs to be finished.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this bike on a google add the other day, pretty cool idea. I always think about getting a mini bike and buying a predator harbor freight engine and making a little hot rod mini bike, lol but this is the extreme hot rod. I always wonder why most of these projects are never finished, this thing is 80% done. The expensive and hard part is done, finish it.

I always wonder why most of these projects are never finished, this thing is 80% done. The expensive and hard part is done, finish it.
They realise riding results in instant death, self-preservation kicks in and off it goes on ebay.

I have pics of a Vespa I saw at Daytona Bike Week probably back in the 1980's, so no digital pics. It was powered by this bikes' big brother, a Honda 500/4 four-cyl. And, it was turbocharged. Painted on the Vespa fairing in wide red letters was its name:

Menstrual Cycle

I saw this bike on a google add the other day, pretty cool idea. I always think about getting a mini bike and buying a predator harbor freight engine and making a little hot rod mini bike, lol but this is the extreme hot rod. I always wonder why most of these projects are never finished, this thing is 80% done. The expensive and hard part is done, finish it.
My freind and his brother put a Predator Engine in a Miata.

not to split hairs or maybe i missed it in the string but is the motor in Kyles little bike a CB500 motor. as far as i know, which sometimes is not very far, the Honda 350 was a twin. someone up string said it was a 350, just saying :)

There was mostly definitely a Honda 350 4-cylinder. It is true that the 350 twin was more popular, but that 350-4 is now highly sought after.

Honda 350cc engines came in 1, 2, or 4 cyl's.

Want something smaller, with six cylinders? Honda GP bike the RC-166. Listen to the idle!

If you like that, here is the F1 RA-272 car from 1965, I saw this run at Watkins Glen at the US GP back then. 1.5 litres, a V-12. Max Verstappen is at the wheel, this time.

The Honda commercial with all the vehicles? The RA-272 is in there, front and center. You can recognize the nose and the shape of the opening, the lack of aero panels, and the spindly front suspension.

1640572986680.png

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I was not aware the Honda made a 350-4. Wasn’t it most notably Mike Hailwood who raced it at the IOM. It really was a beautiful machine.

I stand corrected. I was not aware the Honda made a 350-4. Wasn’t it most notably Mike Hailwood who raced it at the IOM. It really was a beautiful machine.
Honda had 6 cyl engines in both 250 and 350cc sizes in Grand Prix racers. The RC166 had a pressed-together crankshaft of 13 pieces, which revved to 20,000 rpm; some of the oil passages were 1 mm, and the 4 valves/cyl were different sizes. The engineer tasked with leading the design was 24 yerars old, and later would design the Honda CBX 6 cyl 1 litre road bike.

Honda RC166 350cc.02.pngHonda RC166 motorcycle.png
Larger than life-size! Six of these, < 42cc each! Then recall each had four valves above the piston crown!

Hailwood had a British framemaker construct a new bike frame for him, when the factory refused to make changes to allow the factory chassis design to be more-easily ridden. Supposedly that was not well-received by Mr. Honda. The same thing happened in 1960's F1 racing, the Honda engine was finally a winner in 1.5 litre and 3 litre designs, but the car chassis needed input from the U.K. constructors.

Last edited:
Well, we are straying just a bit from Kyle’s monkey bike monster, but since we’re on the topic of six cylinder songs, and having enjoyed one of the beasts over the last few years, I thought it might be interesting for folks to listen to this. In my fairly extensive motorcycling experience over the last 4+ decades, nothing has equaled the thrill of being astride one of these when it’s “on the pipe”:

Here's an actual production bike from Big Red, 250cc, 4 cyl 18,000 rpm peak power, 19,000 redline, and a 20,000 rpm ignition cut-off. Did I mention, DOHC, and gear-driven camshafts? All this, in 1991! and it will out-perform the 300cc sportbikes of today. It was first released over 30 years ago!

The CBR250RR/MC22: 1991 Honda CBR250RR Review | Motorcyclist (motorcyclistonline.com)

CBR250RR DOHC gear-drive 250cc 4 cyl 4valve-cyl.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back