L3K tanks - back in stock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdinkelman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after getting really tired of the ~100 mile range while riding around Fayetteville last month, I finally decided to bite the bullet. Ordered one today. Supposed to be here 11/11.

Should be a fun project for the winter. Now I need to rebuild the clutch master and slave on my '86 so that I'll have one to ride.

http://vmax-fueltank.com/en_us/vmax-1700-larger-fuel-tank

Geez, over $1K? My poor Gen 1 probably isn't worth 3X that. Still, if you want more range, a good option. Only a 1 year guarantee, I think it would be a lot more attractive if they said a 2 year guarantee.

Im getting one. I figure if i have plastic tanks on 30 year old dirt bikes ive dumped 100 times im ok with one on the vmax. I like the fact they offer the parts that need to be changed when you fit it. Im ordering one soon. Also they are coming out with the swingarm cover for the 240 tire. They replied to my email in 12 hrs. Gives me faith

What I don't understand is why the fukk Yamaha didn't do this from the start. I wonder how many more bikes they could have sold, if they would have just given us a reasonable amount of fuel capacity to start with? I love my 2015, but the mileage is a headache sometimes. That being said, I'll live with it before throwing a grand into this extra capacity.

What I don't understand is why the fukk Yamaha didn't do this from the start. I wonder how many more bikes they could have sold, if they would have just given us a reasonable amount of fuel capacity to start with? I love my 2015, but the mileage is a headache sometimes. That being said, I'll live with it before throwing a grand into this extra capacity.

Main reason I have not bought a GenII - Up in my area, fuel stations are far apart once you get out of the city and owning two bikes is not an option for me right now.

Mike

I usually run out of rubber before needing fuel. Not sure what's up with that.

You should see Jim at eureka springs...

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Strolled :icon_rolleyes: down to Eureka Springs this Wednesday, gassed up, and THEN ran out of rubber. Had to borrow a shop owners' phone to call Shala to come get me with the darn trailer again. 'Nuther back tire bit the dust. But that's ok - I have two more waiting on the rack. I'll probably get to it this weekend....again. :biglaugh: Happens with my Rune as well. I left home with plenty of rubber on that bike as well, but ran short of home by over 15 miles. One of these days she's gonna leave my azz down there and make me walk back home for the truck & trailer myself.

New bike same old problem. Idiots at Yamaha. It's nice and nothing like it but I have no clue why we have same fuel capacity problem as old gen 1. I could add more of my option but I will stop now

New bike same old problem. Idiots at Yamaha. It's nice and nothing like it but I have no clue why we have same fuel capacity problem as old gen 1. I could add more of my option but I will stop now

That's good....you're like a broken record. ;)

Mines lowered and I rather it be lowered then a bigger tank. I'm ready for a break around 100 miles anyway and another chance for other to scratch their heads and ask what is that !! lol

Main reason I have not bought a GenII - Up in my area, fuel stations are far apart once you get out of the city and owning two bikes is not an option for me right now.

Mike

I just got an 09 with 5100 miles last week . Rode it down to Denver to a couple bike shops just to look at stuff and got stuck in rush hour traffic getting from one side of town to the other. Checked the fuel gauge and it was flashing. Checked the tripmeter and it read 123 miles. I got to a station asap. 3.3 Gallons filled it. Granted I took it easy because the road down there is usually crawling with cops. But still. My XV920 Virago would maybe barely have made it that far on reserve.

I just got an 09 with 5100 miles last week . Rode it down to Denver to a couple bike shops just to look at stuff and got stuck in rush hour traffic getting from one side of town to the other. Checked the fuel gauge and it was flashing. Checked the tripmeter and it read 123 miles. I got to a station asap. 3.3 Gallons filled it. Granted I took it easy because the road down there is usually crawling with cops. But still. My XV920 Virago would maybe barely have made it that far on reserve.

123/3.3gal=37.27mpg

Congratulations! Your new 09 may have just set a new world record for Gen II Vmax gas mileage.

123/3.3gal=37.27mpg

Congratulations! Your new 09 may have just set a new world record for Gen II Vmax gas mileage.

I wonder if its stock, or reflashed ECU. Doesnt the reflash drop gas mileage due to the increase in HP?

123/3.3gal=37.27mpg

I can't explain it.

I wonder if its stock, or reflashed ECU. Doesnt the reflash drop gas mileage due to the increase in HP?

This bike has had a lot of custom work done but I don't have anything other than a Dyno sheet and the bike itself. When I rode it home a digital sign that shows how fast you are going said I was going 65 when the speedometer read 70 and that sign reads pretty close on my truck so the speedometer seems to be off a little, I don't think thats enough to skew the mileage significantly.

It does mean that when I thought I hit 143 MPH on my first test ride I only was at 130 something. I was watching speed and the road so I didn't see where the tach hit at that point either.

I barely made it home 80 miles today, had the low fuel light go on in the tach. Apparently averaging 80 to 95 and going a lot faster than that too on a mountain road where most corners could be taken at 60 plus mph and getting up over 120 a few times drops the mileage down in the low 20s. I had 2 MSR fuel bottles so I wasn't real worried, but when the gauge started flashing I slowed down to 65. I only had a couple miles to go then, and I was getting close to my town, and more chance of LEOs anyway.

A ride I took a couple weeks ago just cruising at mostly the speed limit I was averaging over 30 mpg on 2 fillups, so it still seems better than I expected overall.

Latest posts

Back