Lake Generated Weather

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
On Friday it was 36 degrees and a light wind was blowing, seemed like the makings of a nice early spring weekend was on the way. Sometime after nightfall old man winter decided to drop in for a visit! The weather came in from across the vast expanses of lake Superior picking up moisture and dropped on us this beautiful snow in one overnight event. The system is now slowly churning out more snow directly over us here in the U.P. giving us the first winter storm, or at least first real storm of the year. It looks like Ryan may have even had some snow to help them with their clean snowmobile competition this weekend in the western end of the U.P. at Michigan Tech. They say that if "March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb" which hopefully holds true for us. Here are some pictures and a short video of the old man's work overnight.
http://youtu.be/SDgxxkHimbU

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Snowfall through  Kitchen window.jpg
    Snowfall through Kitchen window.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 8
On Friday it was 36 degrees and a light wind was blowing, seemed like the makings of a nice early spring weekend was on the way. Sometime after nightfall old man winter decided to drop in for a visit! The weather came in from across the vast expanses of lake Superior picking up moisture and dropped on us this beautiful snow in one overnight event. The low pressure is now stalling directly over us here in the U.P. giving us the first winter storm, or at least first real storm of the year. They say that if "March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb" which hopefully holds true for us. Here are some pictures and a short video of the old man's work overnight.
http://youtu.be/SDgxxkHimbU

Same thing happens on Cape Cod Brian, it's not as cold as the air you get though. It's never dry either. I can't keep my house from rotting under me.Every year something wooden has to be fixed.
My bike, it must be ridden often to combat this.
Steve

The snows pretty in Feb, but not so much in March.
In the buffalo NY area we didn't get any snow, but we are on the edge of the storm system that produced the toronados in the mid west. Starting last night we've had high winds. The news said they could be 60 to 70 mph.:surprise: Yesterday was around 50 and calm. Should have gone on a ride:bang head:

Same thing happens on Cape Cod Brian, it's not as cold as the air you get though. It's never dry either. I can't keep my house from rotting under me.Every year something wooden has to be fixed.
My bike, it must be ridden often to combat this.
Steve
I know we get all of our weather from the central prairies of Canada blowing across lake Superior from the NW right to us sitting on the SE corner here in the eastern U.P. typically, but our coldest winds normally come from the E. Steve, I know the ocean keeps you guys in plenty of "weather" too, the constant moisture is hard on wood for sure.
On the other hand having a good reason to ride often is not a bad option to have, we get snow, so riding is no option whatsoever.:damn angry:

We only got about an inch of snow over night here Brian, a chance of hitting 60 degrees this upcoming week. I might wake up 2FEAR from hibernation and take a little spin.

Yesterday was 36* then overnight it was 30* and now it's 21* and lightly snowing. It is pretty to look at and I may even make it out on my x-country skiis tomorrow if the get the trail/ track groomed. It is sooo quiet, the wind is slowly moving, or maybe rocking is a better word, the heavy snow ladened tree's. I just shovelled the deck, walk and cleaned off the snow on the truck as my snowblower guy should be by shortly.
No chance for a ride today, not even with outrigger skiis that I saw in one of KJ's pictures. :biglaugh:

Like you said Brian with the lion/lamb......get it out of it's system now. We're coming on spring quick. Gotta finish these winter mods by the end of the month. I'll be mowing grass before I know it and just wanting to ride otherwise. We got about 5" of snow/sleet/rain here........barley a descent storm.....

BRING IT!!

sounds like good making for some snow drags boys on the sleds.......need more snow up here to help the track we are building......

Once that wind turns south we get nice weather here. It doesn't get as hot as inland. The cape sticks right out into the ocean. But, with good weather we get tourist and bugs. The bugs aren't bad, they watch where they are going!

Back