lane 'cutters' and 'zippers': merging into a single lane from two

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
We all have experienced the person who runs up on the right (or the left, if traffic has to merge to the right) and crams his way (or her way) into the single lane.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...r_last-minute_merg.html#incart_river_home_pop

This article has some interesting info on what the MI law is, and is supposedly written by a MI Trooper.

I try to be courteous to others on the road, and try to avoid the aggressive drivers. There are always the people who count on their behavior forcing other drivers into making way for them, despite their total lack of compliance with traffic rules, regulations, traffic ordinances, and the like. Beware these $%$%&&^**! drivers, your safety and everyones' safety depends on avoiding their criminal behavior. Say what you want, "it's only a civil traffic infraction," well, it isn't when someone deliberately tries to sideswipe you, expecting you will yield to them. And haven't we all had that experience on our bikes? The driver who puts us in harm's way, intentionally?

Be sure to read the comments at the end, there are some real doozies on the MI roads who confirm the stereotypes of the behaviors I mentioned, above. Sure, they're in every state, but these are the ones I read about today. Cheap entertainment, and it gives you perspective on why the belligerent driver acts that way. Not that the experienced rider needs to be reminded of it.:confused2:

Here's my favorite post:

Rollberg 7 hours ago
The comment section is another great exercise in understanding the differences between rights and responsibilities. If everybody did their own thing, like the last second mergers, there would be pure chaos.

One variable is the road rage driver who has had enough with the constant cutters and decides to act up.

Thats one of the sweet things about being a motorcyclist is that many of us are blessed (or cursed) with hyper-vigilance. We see them coming, its never a surprise to us. We know they will do it before even they themselves know.

I'm normally a courteous but when someone else is being a dickhole I can reciprocate. I close the door on lane zippers, also on people that rush up beside and you know they plan to cut off, I close the door for them to. The only problem with cutting off lane zippers is usually the asshole in front of me will reward their dickhole behavior by letting them in. :bang head:

If I go to hell it wont be a lake of fire, demons consuming flesh and all that other fire and brimstone folklore, I'll be on the I-5/405 interchange at 5:15pm, in the rain, behind a metro bus, for eternity hahahha.

Thats one of the sweet things about being a motorcyclist is that many of us are blessed (or cursed) with hyper-vigilance. We see them coming, its never a surprise to us. We know they will do it before even they themselves know.

I'm normally a courteous but when someone else is being a dickhole I can reciprocate. I close the door on lane zippers, also on people that rush up beside and you know they plan to cut off, I close the door for them to. The only problem with cutting off lane zippers is usually the asshole in front of me will reward their dickhole behavior by letting them in. :bang head:

If I go to hell it wont be a lake of fire, demons consuming flesh and all that other fire and brimstone folklore, I'll be on the I-5/405 interchange at 5:15pm, in the rain, behind a metro bus, for eternity hahahha.
Uphill or downhill? Been there many times.Wait a min------it's Foothill!!!!!

They late lane merger and pushy road raging type drivers are everywhere there is larger populations, I've seen it in Atlanta, GA., New Orleans, and Seattle where I have lived and in most cities I have visited, I don't think Michigan is any exception.
What I hate it when the snow birds revisit us in our areas after having been free of them for 6-8 months of the year. There is not much road rage where I live just the distracted drivers marveling "at all the beautiful areas around here". Yeah, that's why I live here LOL!
We have a added benefit of birders, you know the people "that see a yellow fastback red crested with orange tipped tail lovers that will stop in the middle of the road with all the doors open , on a blind corner there they stand binoculars in hand and checking off in their book of what they just discovered" type of people. Yeah those people!
We usually tell them that we saw a pair of Rusty Black bird (or whatever) down a long two track and give them good directions to keep them busy for a few days.
It is nice to live in an migratory flyway with a large assortment of raptors visiting our area each year it's just that they are so many of the birders who are totally oblivious of what is going on around them that they are dangerous to the general public.

It always happens when my photon torpedos are down for maintenance.

Latest posts

Back