Lane splitting. Lane sharing.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FREERIDER

Reaction score
Starting the Lane Splitting, Lane Sharing thread.

Lane splitting is a skill in its own. Down right dangerous though. Not that that stops me. Its not uncommon to hit car mirrors with arms, or foot if you dont like what the car is doing. ie, Squeezing you in the lane and not letting you pass.
Or fist with those big ol knuckled up gloves they make now.

Reving as loud as you can without hurting the bike is a good idea. I run a low gear as to be constantly as loud as possible. Like what Green light Blitz said in the other thread, 50mph through stopped traffic is common. I find that Ill usaully do 40-50mph faster than what the traffic is doing. Yes, 100mph down the middle. And that would sometimes be two up. She was a down ass girlfriend. To bad I had to get rid of her.

Lane Sharing. See attatched Signature.

What are your guys thoughts on this subject?

Attachments

• 09-20-09-275.jpg
    09-20-09-275.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 52
I think there was just a big thread about this not too long ago.

Lane splitting....only comment I have is "rider's discretion". I'll do it if a wide enough shoulder exists, or by the general "feel" of traffic. If there's a big backup or something and everybody's pissed and trying to swap lanes every time the other lane moves 6 inches, probably not a good idea. Some asswipe will suddenly lurch out of lane to try and save a second or two off their trip.

Lane sharing I take as riding two abreast, which I think is a bad idea in all cases. Riding staggered takes more room, increasing visibility. It also gives both riders more "wiggle room" should either have to make a sudden maneuver. The only time I'll ride side by side is if I need to motion to the other person, like tapping the gas tank(airbox cover), which for us is the "I need gas" sign, then fall back into position.

When being chased by the cops , I'll do anything to get away ! ... Back in the day I would only slow down to about 30-40 mphs at a red lights & then go through it , even with my " LITTLE HOTTIE " on the back ! ... She loved it & so did I ! ... As far as lane splitting , not sure , I guess it would depend on how fed-up I got with the traffic !

While returning home from Fargo`s house in San Pedro I was forced to white line for 32 miles back to Ontario cause the 91 fwy. was at astand still
and, that was scary as hell.
There are alot of people who will pull aside for you but, there are alot of people who think that if they can`t move then, neither will you and they pull towards the middle and try to close the door on you so, I wont speed through the middle cause , out here because of one ass hole you could wind up dead and I just think that if you have a passenger, and ride like that then you basicaly have no regard for the life of that person.
I just say this `cause I`ve seen it too, too many times and seeing someones girlfriend smeared all over the street isn`t a cool site to see.
just my two cents on the subject.
<<Dave>>:punk:

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE " SMEARED " .:th_love031: .. :wkwk: .. SOME OTHER GUYS GIRLFRIENDS OVER MY SHEETS & SOMETIMES IN THE BACK OF MY CAR , LOOKING BACK , I SOMETIMES FEEL BAD ! .. BUT ONLY FOR A MINUTE ! .. :rofl_200:.. :biglaugh: .. :rofl_200:

Last edited:
I just say this `cause I`ve seen it too, too many times and seeing someones girlfriend smeared all over the street isn`t a cool site to see.

My friend, Kevin Murray, died splitting lanes on the Lowell (Massachusetts) Connector in 1986. I've never done it since.

I think there was just a big thread about this not too long ago.

Lane splitting....only comment I have is "rider's discretion". I'll do it if a wide enough shoulder exists, or by the general "feel" of traffic. If there's a big backup or something and everybody's pissed and trying to swap lanes every time the other lane moves 6 inches, probably not a good idea. Some asswipe will suddenly lurch out of lane to try and save a second or two off their trip.

Lane sharing I take as riding two abreast, which I think is a bad idea in all cases. Riding staggered takes more room, increasing visibility. It also gives both riders more "wiggle room" should either have to make a sudden maneuver. The only time I'll ride side by side is if I need to motion to the other person, like tapping the gas tank(airbox cover), which for us is the "I need gas" sign, then fall back into position.

My bad, just thought I start it over here cause I saw it a few times in the "top speed" thread.

Freeway's for me work like this. Right side of the #4 lane (fast lane) is where I like to stay. Big gaps, always looking for the biggest gap and spacing away from cars. With the center and left side of the fast lane AND the shoulder to work with plus the bubble, your in a good spot. Once that tightens up which it will, its time to move up to the next bubble. Keeping as much space around you as possible. When the traffic gets thicker and everybody is side by side, bumper to bumper. ITS LANE SPLITTING TIME:clapping::eusa_dance::punk:

Once running down the center of two lanes of tight traffic (tight traffic being, cars bumper to bumper with less than a car length in between them on both sides) the thing here is watch and anticipate ALL the cars and there drivers. Big thing is to watch the gaps in between cars, is the space opening up so that another car might want to get in there. Cars that are side by side, when drivers can see each other they generally wont try and change lanes on you. When there's a little gap that somebody might try to nudge there way in on is what Im looking for. Watching, from closest to me and out, tail lights, heads of drivers, faces in mirrors, and MOVEMENT in the cars. Speeding up and slowing down to accommodate having to rapidly slow down.
Being in a low gear with higher rpm's gives allot of engine breaking when the throttle is dumped (let off). With all that in mind and EYE and nice little gap to run down its time to get some where allot faster than all slow pokes in cars.

Thats the only way I know how to describe it. Excuse me if it reads like Im preaching or talking down.

Ill lane share, side by side, if its one a guy I know and trust. But once traffic tightens up to each his own. But generally I light to roll staggered. Thats the I was taught. As the Signature says.

You can't anticipate what people are going to do... period! A guy I work with, a bike rider no less, ran a biker off the road that was trying to pass him on the right on the white solid line. I asked him "what if someone did that to you?" He said he wouldn't have been passing on the white solid line. Total asshole move in my opinion, but makes my point, there's no anticipation. So with that said... good luck man!

While returning home from Fargo`s house in San Pedro I was forced to white line for 32 miles back to Ontario cause the 91 fwy. was at astand still
and, that was scary as hell.
There are alot of people who will pull aside for you but, there are alot of people who think that if they can`t move then, neither will you and they pull towards the middle and try to close the door on you so, I wont speed through the middle cause , out here because of one ass hole you could wind up dead and I just think that if you have a passenger, and ride like that then you basicaly have no regard for the life of that person.

If my grielfriend wasn't down with it then I wouldnt do it. If she's likes to :rocket bike:like I:rocket bike: then, we take off west of the 134 to the Rock store for a beer, then on into Malibu to for more beer then off into the bush's for a :wkwk: cause she got SO HORNY on the RIDE that she just had to. All beer and sexed up, lets go to Santa Barbra, ah lets keep going to Solvang to taste some wine. Back to Santa Barbra to get a hotel for some more lovin. :th_love031: Then sunday 10am on the 101 south.:bang head:. Not for me.:clapping::punk::rocket bike:

And thats what happened last time I rode in LA. :)

You can't anticipate what people are going to do... period! A guy I work with, a bike rider no less, ran a biker off the road that was trying to pass him on the right on the white solid line. I asked him "what if someone did that to you?" He said he wouldn't have been passing on the white solid line. Total asshole move in my opinion, but makes my point, there's no anticipation. So with that said... good luck man![/QUOTE

MMMMM... Purposely doing anything like that is cause for an ass woopin. You should have punched that motherfucker square in his head.
BUT. I wouldnt ever pass on the right over a solid white line unless absolutely necessary. Good luck to you sir. :eek:h yeah:

Last edited:
My last accident few month ago occurred when I tried to share the lane with a small scooter and when he cut me without noticing me. I could have died that day after sliding on the road rubbing my skin on it.
I want to say safety first before any bad ass attitude. There is not pride ending in the hospital.

:confused2: Hey, they are trying to pass a law here that makes this all legal as it works well in California and their traffic systems. Looks dangerous to me. Later

To me it's just playing the odds, and no matter the riders skills, it only takes someone to lane drift or lean over to grab something and jerk the wheel, and it's all over. I get it, in stop and go traffic, but high speed splitting on a regular basis will thin the herd. I don't trust my life to every other asshole on the road, who is texting, putting on make-up, or talking on the phone.

I had a dirtbag deliberately take me clear off the highway on the left - across the oncoming lane one time. He was pissed because he had looked to pass the slow truck we were both following and decided he didn't have enough room to make the pass. Max and I decided there was plenty of room to make that pass - and room to spare. What i didn't figure on was some pissed off A-hole in a Z28 looking at me as I began the acceleration, then deliberately swerving at me. :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry:

I hit the gravel on the oncoming side of the road and Max slipped out from under me. The A-hole had to stop with all the other vehicles that stopped so as not to run over me. He then pulled a U'y and sped away. Not only did I personally know the guy, but several other drivers got his ID and plate #. His insurance paid me dearly for the stitches required to stop the bleeding, and also fixed Max with no questions asked. Then they dropped him.

My biggest regret was never getting to land my hands on the A-hole afterwards.

I always make certain it's my turn to pass since then, and I go around wide. I probably wouldn't lane split even where legal, unless everyone was at a snails' pace.

I've run into that scenario before. Some vehicle is going really slow holding up traffic, and there's at least one other car in front of me waiting to pass. An opportunity opens up, I go for it, and as I swerve around the car(s) in front of me, one of them doesn't look and pulls out to pass also. The whole Newton's "two bodies in one place" thing comes into play.

Passing when you're not "next in line" always sketches me out a bit, you never know when some asswipe in their 90hp Civic is going to swerve out and begin the slow, painful process of attempting to pass. Typically in this scenario, I go way into the oncoming lane so give room if any other cars suddenly want to pull out. A bit counter-intuitive, you want to stay as close to the "right" lane as possible, but IMO it's safer.

I've got ball bearings hangin on my bike to smash your wondsheild with and steel knuckle gloves to take your mirrors and windows out with. I lane share every day and you learn to treat it like a calculated risk. Do it more and learn how to play the game. I've never been run off he road either.
I make my rules clear on my bike, run me outta my lane or hit me and you better fuckin pray you killed me because I'm the kinda guy that will beat your ass in front off your family in the car if you don't watch your place. A guy not lookin for you is bad but forgiveable and avid lane splitters see it coming like a 6th sense...
We can also tell if you're trying to fuck with us, and that's when you end up with a guy like me all up in your face when you stop at a light or get to the store.
I try to shrug most of the little mistakes people make on the road because it happens, but it's my LIFE and usually my girls LIFE you mess with when you fuck with me on the road so I take it serious. Some people need to be to be taught harder than others.
I built a steet fighter by literal definition, I hit the street lookin to battle the traffic. Personally you won't catch me sitting still in traffic ever

Latest posts

Back