Lane splitting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Wow in Portland Oregon for the first time and saw a guy lane splitting. Not legal where I come from. But wow that takes guts... anyone lane split? ??? Aren't u afraid they will cut u off or open a door??? Not bashing here just saying I would he scared shitless doing it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

It is VERY common all over California especially in the busiest traffic pockets. Personally I do not know how they do it, I would be too worried about some one changing lanes quickly without looking, etc. That and you always have assholes like the guy in the vid from the thread you linked. Simply put, not worth it even if it is legal where you are.

I've lane split since riding mopeds at age 14. To me it's the raison d'?tre of bike riding! I did it in France, and then for 20 years in London, UK.

When I moved to Florida, it was illegal for the first time for me. It was awful! Horrible! Frustrating! I hated it. What's the point of being on a bike in traffic if you can't get to the lights at the top of the queue? And what's the point of riding if you can't carry on when everyone's at a standstill on the freeway!?

Anyway, in FL I had to be rather careful, not only because cops would ticket me, but cagers would actually try to block me, honk, shout and generally get upset when they were off their phone long enough to notice!

Now here down under, luckily, it's legal again 'as long as you indicate'. Now the dilemma is, do I indicate left or right? Hmm..

In France today, especially in the Parisian region, all bikers run their warning lights while lane splitting, it makes them much more visible!

In the end, it has to be done responsibly, just like drinking alcohol, innit! :clapping:

Wow in Portland Oregon for the first time and saw a guy lane splitting. Not legal where I come from. But wow that takes guts... anyone lane split? ??? Aren't u afraid they will cut u off or open a door??? Not bashing here just saying I would he scared shitless doing it.

Man, I'm with you on that!! :punk:

You lane split over this way, with all these impatient New Yawkers and Joiseyites you won't be going home for supper....they'll run you off the road just for spite! :blink000:

Dan-o.....does it count if you pass on the right following a shinny blue bike all in the while kicking up sand while giving the most pissed off looked to the driver thru the pass window all to catchup to the pizza run train??????

They do it here in Vegas routinely. And it seems there's an unwritten rule that when you do so, you must be traveling at warp speed. A lot of guys ride like ass hats here. Me, I'm too scared to try it.

Over here it`s legal as long as you don`t go faster than "something" (I think 20-30km/h) relative to the cages ; seems like a reasonable compromise to me: you get the satisfaction of not being held up, and risks are low at that low speed difference

Do it all the time here in the UK. It was the reason I got a bike, again, for my commute. The section of motorway I had to travel on was frequently gridlocked so I could still move at 40mph+ when the cagers were stationary.

We call it "filtering" over here, and it's very common, but particularly on the motorway (3 lanes plus). It's still fairly controversial, but we have lots of signs and sometimes advertising campaigns on TV reminding drivers to "Think Bike".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKqZfbH8WNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI8-_9FrB4

Dan-o.....does it count if you pass on the right following a shinny blue bike all in the while kicking up sand while giving the most pissed off looked to the driver thru the pass window all to catchup to the pizza run train??????

Haha....boy, do I remember that fuckin' idiot!! Dude had me worried....he had some serious anger/stupidity issues! Very concerned we might end up going 'to the wall' with that one! :punk:

I do it often as long as there is enough space. But I only do it at low speed and dont try to follow the small moped. Vmax is a bit too large lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thats what I was thinking... the stock pipes on the max give it a wide ass lol

I see folk riding "Adeventure" bikes (KTM/BMW) with the giant metal pannier boxes filtering around here. Makes me wince a bit because I've come close to clipping cars with a pannier (plastic, thankfully) passing through stationary holiday traffic.

Back