Lead the way to Key Biscayne

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Know where President RM Nixon spent his vacations in So. FL? Key Biscayne, by Bebe Reboso's home. Bebe was a Cuban banker. He owned the Bank of Key Biscayne. Since Nixon was his friend, he entertained the President a lot at his home. So-often that the federal govt installed a helipad for use by the POTUS.

Bebe was such a good friend, he allowed the dairy producers to pay CREEP (such a great acronym!) $400,000 to keep in-case they needed to use it for home repairs. The money was cash and the dairy producers were grateful for the federal subsidies that kept dairy product prices high. Bebe graciously allowed the $$$ to bs kept ay the Bank of Key Biscayne. Eventually there was a problem at a high-density high-rise dwelling in Washington DC. Bebe, ever-helpful, agreed to provide some Cuban plumbers for the repair. The building was the Watergate Hotel. The plumbers did their work, but a suspicious private-duty security person saw a piece of cellophane tape on a door and his investigation led to the plumbers' work being interrupted. There were some sequential issues that arose from the investigation as to "who hired the Cuban plumbers," "where did the money come from to pay them," "what were they doing," and other questions that eventually were answered. You might have read about it.

So today after work I was on my way to spend time w/my elderly Cuban father-I -law. I left the Ft. Lauderdale area & headed into Miami on the interstate. I 95 has "Lexus Lanes" and I use them because motorcycles ride free, though they are toll roads.

I got to the north entry into the toll lanes and there was a new CBR600 ahead of
me. I pulled up on the opposite side of the lane. He nodded & gave my bike the once-over, and took-off.

The traffic on the pay lanes is much-less than the free lanes, but you still have people who insist in staying in the left of two lanes, doing 55-60, while everyone is forced to pass them on the right lane.

The CBR was making time, and I let him go. I stayed behind him and paced him so he was never able to leave. We went through North Miami by the hot rod & muscle car dealer, by the taxidermist w/the marlins & sharks on display. We reached Miami and lots of traffic got off to head east, headed to Miami Beach, past where the NBA Champs Miami Heat play in their $500 million arena. We passed the State Route 836 exit where you get off to visit where the Miami Marlins play in their new retractible roof stadium, also $500 million.

The guy on the CBR made a bad lane choice. He got caught in traffic and I easily passed to his left as if I was headed to Miami Beach but took the road which heads south towards Coconut Grove (a great song by CSN & Y) and Coral Gables. I led the way as we approached the southern end of I 95. Does I 95 still have snow along it in MA guys?:biglaugh:

So since I was getting-off the interstate, I looked to see where that hotfooting rider was, and as I waited at the traffic light to route onto Rickenbacker Causeway (named after a WW I ace pilot who I am told had something to do w/commercial aviation after The War to End all Wars) the CBR pilot finally caught up to me.

He told me, "you ride good, what is that?"

I told him, "it's 21 years old, a VMax."

"Who did the work? You? It runs good. Twenty-one years old?" He shook his head.

OK, here I stretched it a bit, I told him, "yep I built it!" Well, I took it out of the frame & reinstalled it, did some of the disassembly and reassembly but not the machine work or the head replacement.

The light changed, he turned towards Key Biscayne, and the ghosts of powerful politicians and the bankers who bankrolled them, and I turned towards the home of my elderly father-in-law in Miami.

The VMax made another believer today, you don't have to have the latest sportbike to take-on the mean streets of So. FL. :punk:

Neat Story....good background too 'cept for one little issue...think you'll find Coconut Grove was written by John Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful and performed by them sometime back in the dark ages.

Neat Story....good background too 'cept for one little issue...think you'll find Coconut Grove was written by John Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful and performed by them sometime back in the dark ages.

Yes you are entirely correct on the ISCAP author, I decided to look for the point where CSN did it and wasn't able to find it. The Lovin Spoonful did it after Sebastian wrote it, that's what I was thinking of. He has such a distinctive voice, you'd think I would have recognized it as I was playing my mind's Garrard turntable, listening to his soft voice, just gently pushing-along through the lyrics, like the tide on a spring afternoon, lapping the shoreline at Peacock Park in The Grove.

David Crosby did perform as a folkie in Coconut Grove, and a lot of other people have played there or spent time there. Crosby met Joni Mitchell in a club there and they began a stormy relationship. Crosby had a 60 ft. sailboat he kept in Coconut Grove, and supposedly Paul Katner and he collaborated to create the staple, Wooden Ships, while they were in Coconut Grove FL.

Ah...Wodden Ships...another great one! Loved that music back then. :worthy:

Wonder what happened to Sebastian, very talented, would have thought he'd stay in the scene longer than he did? :ummm:

John Sebastian wrote the theme song to Welcome Back Kotter... He also sang it.

I wondered if someone was gonna mention that! That's still a long time-ago! 1975-79
MV5BNDE0NTUyNDY5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQzODU0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR41,0,214,317_.jpg

More at IMDbPro ?
Saturday Night Live: Season 1, Episode 18

Raquel Welch/Phoebe Snow, John Sebastian (24 Apr. 1976)

Latest posts

Back