Leak - Clutch Push Rod - 85 max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlesin

Reaction score
Any thoughts here, I think my vmax is leaking engine oil out of the clutch push rod.

I also noticed my 85 motor does not seem to have a place for a seal (around the clutch pushrod that goes into the engine) unlike like my 86 motor. Was this a design change.

Thank you

Your 85 motor may have the pushrod oil gland installed backwards? If so this will consume a % of space needed for the pushrod seal to seat. The bad news is if this is your issue you will have to split the cases to correct the problem.

My '85 has a seal exactly like the others. So should yours!

I s'pose like what Damon says is possible, that someone put it together wrong, with the alloy piece on the outside. They would have to be a f*ing tool to do that though. There is normally a roll pin pressed into the alloy piece.

Damon

What is the English title of your engine assembly video? Looks very informative, thanks.

I've got an 85 and I literally replaced the push rod oil seal a day or two ago. It's in there, or at least it should be. Pull off that slave cylinder, pull out the push rod, and whammo there should be a piece of rubber coated metal that you can pry out. Mine literally was so corroded and destroyed I had to rip the thing apart to get it out, and then had to scrape the walls of the recess to get the actual rubber out (they separated).

Damon

What is the English title of your engine assembly video? Looks very informative, thanks.

The video made by Damon rocks. I believe he has a carb video out also Tom. In a matter of fact, easy to understand way, he goes through every step to blueprint your vmax engine. Anyone planning on doing their own work should buy it. Splitting the cases might not look so intimidating after watching.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I replaced my slave gasket a few months ago but not the rod gasket because it looks impossible to do :{{{
However I still have a leak and think its from the rod . How do I change the rod s ring cant fit my hands through it the space is REALLY small ..
any video out there (couldn't find any)
help

Thank yo u

Anything like an old long, wide-blade screwdriver with a 90 degree bend to it with the bend being about 1/4"-3/8" should get into there to remove the seal. I made such a tool from an old sturdy screwdriver, heating the blade with an acetylene torch, and bending it in a vise, to 90 degrees. Remove the push rod, place the bend into the space where the rod was, push it sideways towards the outside circumference of the seal, and give it a quick, short yank. When working with seals several inches in diameter, if a traditional seal-puller won't work, because of space constrictions, you may-need to reposition the puller at several locations around the circumference to pop it loose. When I say, 'circumference,' I am not referring to prying around the outside edge! You pry from the inner lip.

New seals are usually inserted dry, use a socket the same size of the outside diameter, with a socket extension, make it as-square as you can, to drive it in. Light taps should be used, no-need for much force. If it doesn't start evenly, re-position it and do it again. Some people like to use the old seal as a driver for the new seal, but I have more-luck with a socket of the correct size, and patience.

Don't forget to use some lube of whatever is being sealed inside, on the lip of the seal, where the shaft comes-through. Failure to lube the seal lip will result in premature failure of the seal. I've seen differential pinion gears with grooves in them, on their shafts, where the seal rubs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back