Leaking diff.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoMax

Reaction score
I was just emailed this from a friend

Do you know anything about diff leaks? changed the seal before the waterton ride & it appeared to have solved the problem.Got back form Van yesterday & it is pukeing out oil. Pulled the wheel & it appears to be coming from the output shaft. Is the diff pooched? I also switched to synthetic gear oil could this be causing the problem or is it just a coincidence?

Can anyone help?

Could have been overfilled. May need seals again and smooth up the surfaces the seals seat against.

Sean

I was just emailed this from a friend

Do you know anything about diff leaks? changed the seal before the waterton ride & it appeared to have solved the problem.Got back form Van yesterday & it is pukeing out oil. Pulled the wheel & it appears to be coming from the output shaft. Is the diff pooched? I also switched to synthetic gear oil could this be causing the problem or is it just a coincidence?

Can anyone help?
Is the vent clean and working?

I've heard going to synthetic can cause oil leaks...Don't know if it's true or a wifes tale...........

I've heard going to synthetic can cause oil leaks...Don't know if it's true or a wifes tale...........

That legend spawned from people using new synthetic oils in old cars. The old motor seals might not have been visibly leaving puddles, but probably allowed a bit to seep by. Synthetics by nature "penetrate" better and could turn a tiny seep into an annoying drip...thus....synthetics cause leaks.

So yes, synthetics can "cause" leaks, but it's more due to exaggerating a slight leak already. I've found that RTV can last virtually forever with dino oil, but it always starts to leak after a few months with synthetics...they must break down the compound or something. It's always all gummy and slimy when I remove it after being in synthetic, not so with regular oil.

So I think there's "some" truth to it.

The first syn oils didn't have the additive package dialed in and there were sealing problems. It didn't take too long to tweak them, but by then they had a rep.

I replaced my rear diff oil with 100% Synth Redline brand and had a leak within a tank of gas. I pulled it apart, cleaned it out and ordered a new packing and the old one was soft and swelled out way bigger than the new. i think it had an effect on the rubber and caused the leak but who knows. I switched back to regular oil and had a beer.

Latest posts

Back