Leaking differential help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaz1096

Reaction score
Rode the bike for a 20 mile trip the other day. Parked it in the garage. Rode it 6 miles to work and noticed oil on my rear tire (left side). It?s the gear lube, it?s dripping slightly from the bottom of the dust cover onto the wheel. I changed the gear lube last year to Mobile1, replaced the rear tire and a bad right side bearing. No leaks up to this point and no unusual noise or vibration.

Is it a bad oil seal /O ring?
How difficult are they to replace?

Thanks guys!

Sounds like large O ring inside Final gear case is bad or misaligned, Not hard but just a pain to get to.

Good deal. I'm gonna tear into it tomorrow. I was concerned after looking at the Yamaha shop manual that getting to it may affect the ring shims. Thanks a ton!

Well, I didn't pull the thing all the way apart just yet. It seems the fluid level was too high (at the top of the threads with bolt removed). I don't know how but it was. I changed the fluid and filled it to the bottom of the threads. Took off the rear wheel and cleaned the wet area. it's been a few days and no leaks as of yet.

Any idea how the fluid level would increase? I know I checked it for proper level when it was changed (on the centerstand of course).

Well, I didn't pull the thing all the way apart just yet. It seems the fluid level was too high (at the top of the threads with bolt removed). I don't know how but it was. I changed the fluid and filled it to the bottom of the threads. Took off the rear wheel and cleaned the wet area. it's been a few days and no leaks as of yet.

Any idea how the fluid level would increase? I know I checked it for proper level when it was changed (on the centerstand of course).

i wonder if ti expands or something b/c mine was similar! i filled it up perfect, checked it a couple days later , took off the plug and it just spilled out all over.

i've heard this happen to a few guys tho, so i'd imagine its somewhat normal?:ummm:

Thx for the info, now I know I'm not quite as crazy. It's been over a week and 100 miles still no re-leaking. I think my bike over heard me about the bike rally in June so it wants to act like a Harley lol!

Latest posts

Back