Leaking Oil From Cylinder Head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharpMan

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

This is the first time I've experienced this issue with any bike. I had a leak on a crankcase cover on an FZ. Gasket was super easy to replace.

It looks like a major PITA on the VMax to replace the head gaskets. It looks like I'll have to take the carbs off for sure. Coolant was FILTHY. Definitely oil in there along with a bunch of sediment, likely from rubber hoses.

Anybody have experience with this? Any tips? I plan on replacing the gaskets, bolts, and rubber mounts. Thanks

IMG_20211022_162955.jpg

IMG_20211022_162833.jpg

IMG_20211022_182802.jpg

Do you really mean cylinder head or cam cover?

The photos above indicate leaking of the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket. Not exactly a walk in the park, but a bit more straightforward than pulling the heads. Common problem on aging first generation Vmax. And yes, replace gaskets and the grommets.

Clean with brake cleaner and tooth brush, retighten bolts, use RTV. It will delay work for unknown time. It can leak 1 drop/week thru gasket hole 1/16"

Clean with brake cleaner and tooth brush, retighten bolts, use RTV. It will delay work for unknown time. It can leak 1 drop/week thru gasket hole 1/16"

Don’t do this. If you want to fix it, fix it right. If you want to guess at how long your Kluge might or might not work, then follow this recommendation.

Anybody have experience with this? Any tips? I plan on replacing the gaskets, bolts, and rubber mounts.
Before splashing out I trust that you have checked the torque of the fasteners?

No need to replace the fasteners unless you have too much money or they are particularly grotty. Also I've never had the fastener seals leak so they will be re-usable.

Whilst the gasket doesn't need sealer a light smear will hold it in place while you wrestle the cover back on.
Also put a little around the D part of it.

Before splashing out I trust that you have checked the torque of the fasteners?

No need to replace the fasteners unless you have too much money or they are particularly grotty. Also I've never had the fastener seals leak so they will be re-usable.

Whilst the gasket doesn't need sealer a light smear will hold it in place while you wrestle the cover back on.
Also put a little around the D part of it.

I think it's best to replace the rubber bits. It's been a neglected bike before I rescued it.

Hey y'all,

This is the first time I've experienced this issue with any bike. I had a leak on a crankcase cover on an FZ. Gasket was super easy to replace.

It looks like a major PITA on the VMax to replace the head gaskets. It looks like I'll have to take the carbs off for sure. Coolant was FILTHY. Definitely oil in there along with a bunch of sediment, likely from rubber hoses.

Anybody have experience with this? Any tips? I plan on replacing the gaskets, bolts, and rubber mounts. Thanks

View attachment 80841

View attachment 80842

View attachment 80844
My 05 sits all winter in the garage, in the Spring when I first start it it leaks a small amount from the head gasket like yours, but after driving it a few times it stops and does not do it again until the next year, and repeat, repeat.

Don’t do this. If you want to fix it, fix it right. If you want to guess at how long your Kluge might or might not work, then follow this recommendation.
Everybody has right to choose 3 hours work or 5 min. work... ;) 👍 I strongly suggest to follow advice of Desert-max!:D

20 years ago I bought Saturn SL, it had part of transmission shell missing a piece about 4" x 5". I drilled holes around big one, cut tread and installed tin patch. After that I was driving it for about a year.

20 years ago I bought Saturn SL, it had part of transmission shell missing a piece about 4" x 5". I drilled holes around big one, cut tread and installed tin patch. After that I was driving it for about a year.

As long as it didn't rattle, why not? For once, I have to confess I might have resorted to something similar. Frankly, in Arizona with infrequent rain, I probably wouldn't have bothered to do anything.

Back