leaking oil plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven May

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot to this old bike and I had thought my surprises were over, but as I was prepping for a day of riding, I thought I would go ahead and change the oil...I had lost alot of oil! I notice the drain plug had been leaking, and tried to tighten it, but it is an alan head screw that has been broken off somehow, and I cant get a good bite on it to torque it down good...looked on ebay and all the drain plugs have a head on them...Is this another redneck engineered surprise? Seems the drain plug would need a shoulder on it to contain oil...the plug i have apparently doesnt seat well enough to contain the oil from creeping out through the threads. I have ordered one off ebay, but I am obviously grounded until I get this figured out. Funny, Ive had it awhile and it just started doing this. When I start it, it almost pours out through the threads now. Lucky I didn't burn it up. Probably shortened its life expectancy though.

Yes, the original plug has been replaced and allen head bolts have a smaller head.

There should be a copper or aluminium washer, this it what seals the system.

Latest posts

Back