Leaking thermostat? Need help with removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1989 Vmax with a aftermarket? exhaust. Ive noticed the thermostat? is leaking coolant. However it seems like getting to the thermostat is incredibly hard. The exhaust connects to the engine right above it, blocking access to the bolts. I originally thought I could just unbolt the exhausts however I realized they are also connected to the other two cylinders, How would I go about this? Do I have to drop the entire exhaust or is there a simpler way I am not seeing? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6850.jpg
    IMG_6850.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6853.jpg
    IMG_6853.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6858.jpg
    IMG_6858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Two bolts holding it to the block at the bottom. Then move out the way the tubing seen at the bottom. Finally pull the elbow from the pump and then from the stat housing and you can unhook the final hoses and get it out of the way. SHould not need to pull the exhaust.

Hi, Thank you, Could you kindly point out which specific bolts/tubes you mean based on this diagram? Just having some issue following along, Thank you again.

Attachments

• 0000301330.gif
    0000301330.gif
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes, the water pump housing needs to be loosened in order to get that coolant elbow out. Might have to also loosen coolant drain valve to remove the small pipe going into the top of the thermostat housing. Then, just a long Allen bit on the two bolts holding the 'stat on.

Thank you guys, hopefully final question, Since ima be removing the water pump should I be getting all the gaskets/orings, I was looking into it and it was about 50$ including shipping for 2 o rings (elbow) the water pump gasket, the o ring and the seal for the thermostat. Is there somewhere to get these cheaper? Thank you.

You probably are looking at the Water Pump fiche. Check "Radiator Hose".

ice, you removed it by removing the water pump yea? Was it difficult? Going to be doing it soon
It was a little frustrating. I removed the impeller cover, and the thermostat, and loosed all of the radiator hoses to be able to have enough play to get that elbow off and get the thermostat off.

It was a little frustrating. I removed the impeller cover, and the thermostat, and loosed all of the radiator hoses to be able to have enough play to get that elbow off and get the thermostat off.
Just did the job, followed seans steps though, and ofcourse he was right lol, the two bottom bolts pull off the hose and the thermo and elbow just pull out with a bit of effort, glad i didnt need to pull the waterpump, putting this update for anyone reading in the future

Latest posts

Back