Lean situation ??????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cujo51

Reaction score
I cleaned my carbs , synched them , installed new needle jets from a kit and it idles amazing but once I put it in gear and try to take off it bogs and stalls .
A mechanic told me it was leaning out and suggested I put the old needle jets ( on diaphragms ) back in .
I did that and resynched and it is a little better but not great
I wondered if I set the clip on the needle jet 1 notch closer to the tapered end , if that would make a difference ?
I have dale walker holeshot pipes and my mechanic says it requires more fuel ? is that right ? am I going down the right path here ?

Thanks Derek

Are you running the stock air box? First off, make sure your rubber carb boots are all clamped down tight. Do you mean jet needles? What kid did you get? If you are running stock air box with Dale's exhaust you'd benefit a bit with smaller main jets. You go rich when you increase exhaust flow...not lean. You go lean if you increase intake side like a modified air box, etc. If bike is stock, suggest stock needles shimmed a tad. It doesn't take much so don't use those thick radio shack washers.

Hi Mark
Thanks for the reply
I am running a stock airbox with K & N filter , and Dales stage 1 jet kit
Yes the jet needles on the diaphragms are stock and I was just wondering about the shim washer being moved to a different groove , closer or further away from the needle tip ( tapered end )
Does this sound like a lean or rich situation ? I cant smell fuel in the exhaust ?
Like I said it idles great , little hesitant when I rev it , but when I drop it into first and try to go it bogs down and sometime stalls
If I put the choke on a little bit I can drive it but it runs really crappy

Are your needles adjustable? Stock are not unless you have needles from Canadian carbs. It sounds like you are lean. You can try adjusting your mixture screws and sync your carbs if you have not already.

yeah played with the mixture screws ...out 3 turns right now , sync is perfect
The needles have 5 slots for the clip ...right now I am in the middle and just wondered if I went closer to the tapered end it would give me more fuel right ?
It would only take me an hour to move all 4 ...just which way ?

He's in Canada mark so probably stock needles with adjustable clips (would like to get a few sets at some point). As mark already mentioned you might want to consider leaning the system out. I would remove the stage 1 completely (including main jets) and get it back closer to stock. Then install 1 or 2 sizes smaller main jets and you'll be set until you buy one of my jet kits or a stage seven.

Sean

The stock jets have 5EZ44 etched on the side ???????????????
Dont know what else to tell you
The bike ran great up to a month or so ago , with Dales stage 1 kit , then i had a float stick and fill a cylinder with gas and got into the oil
then pulled the carbs apart ...very dirty , cleaned them completely and reassembled and now its leaning out ??????

also installed new fuel filter , dumped and cleaned the tank and filled with fresh fuel
drained the bowls a few times yesterday and it was super clean

Cleaning will do that especially if your pilot air passages were dirty and are now clean. Did you check your float levels? I would set your needles to stock position and as Sean said put stock 152.5 main jets in. You'll need to remove the rack and remove the brass hex plug on the float bowl covers to see the main jets. Use a screw driver to loosen and then stick it with a tooth pick to remove.

Dales exhaust should run just fine with stock settings and not cut out at all.

yes float levels are perfect ...checked with the tube
Wow remove the carbs again lol
I was hoping just to pull the diaphragms and adjust the needle but oh well
Thanks

What main jets are you running? What were included in the jet kit? Try putting the needles back to stock. If that doesn't help your main might need to change.

Main jets are stock ....Dales kit was 4 very small brass rings ...I didnt install but it wasnt much for the money ...Came with K&N filter included for 100 bucks

Sean ..What do I need from you to make it right ?
Can you message me your list and information on how to buy
Also include rear shocks if you sell them ...Balck and chrome preferred
thanks

All you really need to do is put the stock jets back in (though 150 or 147.5 mains will work better) as well as the stock needles on the last clip on the end (usually).

My kit will let the exhaust and carbs work to it's maximum potential. Price on the kit is $220 with exchange of your old airbox lid ($40 core if you want to keep the lid). Most are choosing to get the optional stage seven adjustable needles which is $50 more (at time of kit purchase). $20 shipping.

As noted: You do NOT need the kit to get it to run right. The kit will simply provide more potential to the engine by de-restricting the intake system.

Shocks,
There are a few options of course priced on our website. I have one set of 430 11.5" black shocks on hand here though my warehouse has plenty of other options/sizes. I am getting ready to head out of town so if you wanted that set I have on hand I can ship it out by Thursday if we get it sorted out in time. Any of the others can be drop shipped at about anytime (just need to get the order put in). I will be around my computer a few evenings while I am gone (or mornings) so some stuff I can process just not ship if it's something I send direct from me.

Email me directly (with contact/mailing info) with any questions or if you are interested in any of the items.

Sean
[email protected]

last night I installed the jet needles with the clip at the closest point to the tapered point .
Resynched carbs and went for a ride
Great off the line , no bogging down , but now no power at 3500 rpm and up
Pulled a plug and the tip is white and bike seems to be running hotter than normal
Definatly leaning out to me
I think its time to pull carbs as per Marks detailed pictures and change the main jets back to stock ?
Cant remember the name of Kit company but I know it wasnt OEM ( threw out the packaging but kept all the stock parts , thank god )
Derek

Derek,
There is a strong VMOA presence in southern Ontario. (including our famous VP)
I'm sure that if you can't get it sorted many can offer advice and/or direct assistance.

For now, take Sean Morley's advice. If you want to see his kit in action come to the drag day in St. Thomas, July 31. There will be alot of different Vmax variations from stock to heavily modified in action. I'm planning on going and I have Morley's kit installed. I can show you how it works.

Now, I just gotta get the nerve to make a 1/4 mile run!! :punk:

Dale #2592

Derek,

I live in Milton and could come and take a look. Sounds to me like you have a DynoJet Stage 1 (Dale Walker just "rebadges" their kit to sell as his own). For the money you would do well to install one of Sean's jet kits, best on the market by far for the Vmax, and he is great to deal with. Feel free to contact me at any time either here via PM or at [email protected] . If you want I will PM you my home/cell numbers and we can go from there.

As for advice for what you have, rip out everything associated with that kit, go back to stock setup with 147.5 main jets and you will be laughing, otherwise buy Sean's kit and enjoy!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Thanks Guys
I will rip out everything to do with the kit first and try that
I will contact Sean after his vacation and my vacation to get that kit on order

thanks again and will let you know how I make out in the next few days with the stock parts

Derek

Yes Jim it was a Dynojet Stage 1 kit

I just emailed Sean now for the Stage 7

If I'm taking it apart anyways I might as well install it , instead of doing it twice

Back