Lean vs rich

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the saga continues, so I decided to take my freshly carb synced bike to work this morning, it is a balmy 36 degrees here in PA, so I rode most of the way with the choke on at least a little. The bike did get to just above the cold line, but barely. I had to keep it choked or it would bog down when I went to accelerate. I'm going to see how it does on the ride home, when the temps are going to be in the 60's before I do anything, because obviously 36 degree weather is not ideal for me or the bike. :)

But hey, I have 8 hours of this "work" stuff to do between now and then, so I thought I'd ask.

Joe

Ok....with you having to keep the "choke" on....which is also called an enrichener. I would ask what are your A/F screws at? (Number of turns out). It sounds like they are a bit lean.

Also too....as the Vmax gets warmer....and runs hotter....it tends to run richer. So....the cold would make it run lean as well.

Ok....with you having to keep the "choke" on....which is also called an enrichener. I would ask what are your A/F screws at? (Number of turns out). It sounds like they are a bit lean.

Also too....as the Vmax gets warmer....and runs hotter....it tends to run richer. So....the cold would make it run lean as well.

I have not as of yet checked this, I'll check it tonight and let ya know.

I used to run mine in basically stock condition....with 4 turns out. Try that and see how it runs?

One thing I did have happen as well, was I had 2 idle circuits plugged, and it made those carbs run lean as well. It might be time for a shotgun for the carbs.

You must not have a thermostat installed, or if you do, it's stuck open.....

Well, the saga continues, so I decided to take my freshly carb synced bike to work this morning, it is a balmy 36 degrees here in PA, so I rode most of the way with the choke on at least a little. The bike did get to just above the cold line, but barely. I had to keep it choked or it would bog down when I went to accelerate. I'm going to see how it does on the ride home, when the temps are going to be in the 60's before I do anything, because obviously 36 degree weather is not ideal for me or the bike. :)

But hey, I have 8 hours of this "work" stuff to do between now and then, so I thought I'd ask.

Joe

Back