LED flasher relay question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1968

Reaction score
Hello, I am ready to upgrade to LEDs on my 2004 vmax. For my other bike (Shadow Aero) it was very simple to connect the PNP relay but for the vmax I am confused from reading other posts here.

Couple of questions:

1- Do I need to replace the factory relay (5 pins -- picture attached) with the custom one? The custom relay connector is different so I am not sure if requires wiring.

or.

2- Do I need to install the custom LED relay inside the headlight housing?

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
You have two choices depending on whether you want to retain the self cancelling function.

If you do - fit ballast resistors across each indicator.

If you don't - fit a two wire solid state flasher using the Yellow/ red & Brown/ white cables that go to the OE flasher. I found the best way was to remove the connectors from the multi-block and connect to the replacement flasher. This makes it easy to go back to OE should you wish to. There is enough space to loose this under the scoop and you can remove the OE flasher relay.

If you want further reading have a look here.
Whilst it is to do with fitting an LED indicator warning light look at the diagrams in post #5; the second shows where to fit ballast resistors and the third diagram the SS relay. You can ignore the area within the green lines.

Thanks Steve! OK just to be sure, I am going to buy this flasher with the quick release connectors (black and red wires). Which one goes to the yellow/red and brown/white?

Cheers,

Marcelo

If you look at Mr Wolf's diagrams he has not used the Yellow/ red but has taken a live feed to the +ve (Red) on the unit. The Brown cable to the turn signal relay would do for this. The brown/ white goes to the - ve (black).

I don't have any experience of the unit you show so can't say if it is suitable. From the description I can't see why it wouldn't be though.

I'll be interested to see if the signals still cancel automatically.

No they won't as the OE flasher unit (which has the self cancelling function) will not be used.

This is why, in the past, I have used ballast resistors rather than replace the flasher unit.

Reactions: BHZ
It looks like, if you have money to burn, you can overcome this. Here's the least expensive self-cancelling flasher unit I found. It works with LED and incandescent bulbs.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com...&click=37735&gclid=CI7V1ZnAu8ECFYZaMgodaQgARg

Unfortunately, it says,"Designed for use with individual momentary-type turn signal switches mounted on left and right bars; will not work on models with left and right turn signal switch built into one unit that requires push to cancel."

Unfortunately, it says,"Designed for use with individual momentary-type turn signal switches mounted on left and right bars; will not work on models with left and right turn signal switch built into one unit that requires push to cancel."
Ah, I pasted the wrong link. Do a web search for "Motorcycle self-cancelling flasher" and you'll find a whole list of them.

I was planning on replacing my stock turn-signal bulbs with LED, I am re thinking the whole thing now, and here's why. 1, for some reason I had to swap the lead wires in the headlight housing, even though from a different source the LED seemed to operate properly. I don't want to start switching up wire colors and try to remember what I did. 2, I will need to get an LED flasher. (for flash rate) I could put resistors in, but there is an extra fail point, connection. 3, with only one turn-signal indicator on the instrument panel things get even more complicated, with diodes to correct operation, yet another fail point. 4, not sure but I believe my indicator will not alert me to a signal failure; rapid flash or constant on. For these reasons I can not see any benefit. Power usage doesn't mater since they are not used all the time. I do have new LED tail/brake which I like. I actually have plans for an upgrade to that, which when underway I would like to show later. comments? btw I like the look of the stock signals.

Latest posts

Back