LED H4?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

child_of_fire

Reaction score
What's everyone using for LED headlights? Any good option? I'm surprised the 2019 still comes with a halogen bulb.

Can't say what is legal in the US but here in the UK an led main bulb will not pass the annual government inspection test as the lens on the headlight is specific for the H4 halogen bulb. So, with the led when you switch on main beam from dipped beam, you do not get a concentrated beam but a blanket beam instead, due to the headlight lens.
It would be great if someone made a complete replacement lead headlight but I have never seen one :(

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/led/PL-H4.html

This is the H4 I am running in my Gen 1. Wander to my thread, there are pics of the bulb and amount of light on the road.

I had a look at your photos showing low and high beam lighting - looks impressive. However, your round headlight lens will be different to the Gen2 lens so it's difficult to say whether it will work or not without installing. Otherwise looks great! :D

I had a look at your photos showing low and high beam lighting - looks impressive. However, your round headlight lens will be different to the Gen2 lens so it's difficult to say whether it will work or not without installing. Otherwise looks great! :D

Yea, you are right. You have a clear lens with a reflector in the bucket. My head light is the reflector. I settled on that LED due to the heat sink. Cause of the limited availability and my impatience of waiting for things in the mail, I bought 2 different LED head lights. The other one was PIAA and the Pilot. The PIAA didnt have the heat sink. I also bought a Silverstar Sylvania just in case I didnt like the output of the LED. Cause where I ride, there are zero street lights, I wanted something with a wide dispersement of light on the road. For my riding in my area on my bike, the Pilot is a good LED. I wont say its the best cause I know there are tons out there.

There one thing I do notice with the LED bulb is the shadow line in the middle if the beam. You dont notice things when new but as I have put 4000 miles on my bike in 6 weeks, I am getting more comfortable with it and noticing more. The shadow in the beam is caused by the LED construction. 2 LEDs on each side of the bulb creates a shadow in the middle of the beam. Its not enough for me to worry as the shadow appears smaller than the width of my front tire.

I bought the more common DayMaker headlight, but I did have to get another headlight bucket cause I didn't want to mess up my stock one. I am very pleased with the output and over all lighting with the DayMaker.

Considering how folk might be a little creative with how they deal with regulations, certainly here in the UK - exhausts, performance amendments, etc - an H4 headlight bulb seems a fairly straight forward possibility.
More than happy with mine on a Gen 1, as was the inspection guy.

Last edited:
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...p_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10001

These are good 7" round LED headlights... I use them on my landrover and provide superb illumination. Not cheap though....

I think that is the difference. If you buy a complete headlight where the lens is made for the led bulb then it's a winner but keeping the existing lens and replacing the halogen bulb with an led bulb can never work properly. You may be happy with the result and it will be brighter, but it will never be 100% efficient.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-with-internal-driver-2000-lumens/5323/12255/

Here's a link to an H4 replacement LED from Superbright led's. I was using an led from a different brand, had that 4-sided tower with 3 chips on each side. I thought low beam was okay as far as light output but it lost that distinct cutoff & high beam was completely useless. The superbright bulb mimics the halogens much better. LED chips are nearly identical in location as the halogen & has the focusing cup too. The heat sink is pretty big but it's not a fan, no moving parts so not as likely to fail (not that the other led's I've used on other bikes ever did though). It performs much better than the previous LED & doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-with-internal-driver-2000-lumens/5323/12255/

Here's a link to an H4 replacement LED from Superbright led's. I was using an led from a different brand, had that 4-sided tower with 3 chips on each side. I thought low beam was okay as far as light output but it lost that distinct cutoff & high beam was completely useless. The superbright bulb mimics the halogens much better. LED chips are nearly identical in location as the halogen & has the focusing cup too. The heat sink is pretty big but it's not a fan, no moving parts so not as likely to fail (not that the other led's I've used on other bikes ever did though). It performs much better than the previous LED & doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
How you install it? Any extra ballast, diodes... etc?

I bought the more common DayMaker headlight, but I did have to get another headlight bucket cause I didn't want to mess up my stock one. I am very pleased with the output and over all lighting with the DayMaker.
Hi Steve can you please get me the Website link of the DayMaker.....as I can't find it.
Vmaximus Greetings
Hans Knop

Back