LED headlight 1993 VMax suggestion ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJvmax

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for an LED replacement headlight bulb for a 1993 VMax? Looking for a much brighter headlight.

I don't have the LED's but I do have a high output light kit that is more then 50% brighter then stock and easy to install. $40 plus postage. Email me at [email protected]

I have run the headlight gamut with my machine, H.I.D. and L.E.D. along with different bezel's.
Both the H.I.D. and H4 L.E.D. in the stock housing/bezel and the clear lens
I have shown with an H4 L.E.D. also with that same bezel.
The problem is neither are designed for the shape of either source and the result is a really bright splash of light, not so accurately directed, as in with a cut-off line etc.
I ended up with a light designed as L.E.D., a true H.D. Daymaker .
There for sure are equal knock-offs at less than half the price, just as bright, high and low beams with cut-off.
The best bet for the stock housing/bezel is Sean's high watt incandescent bulb offer. Pics shown of the L.E.D, its beam and the H.I.D. in the clear lens/bezel from Sean and the incredible Daymaker, that light just looks fricken cool as heck on the bike.

20161215_194740.jpg20161215_185855.jpg041613161359.jpg20190511_134204.jpg20190518_012823.jpg

Attachments

• 20190518_012823.jpg
    20190518_012823.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
I ended up with a light designed as L.E.D., a true H.D. Daymaker .
There for sure are equal knock-offs at less than half the price, just as bright, high and low beams with cut-off.
The best bet for the stock housing/bezel is Sean's high watt incandescent bulb offer. Pics shown of the L.E.D, its beam and the H.I.D. in the clear lens/bezel from Sean and the incredible Daymaker, that light just looks fricken cool as heck on the bike.

Just wondering if your LED "daymaker" fits in the stock bezel? I found some VMaxxers moved to 7" housings and LED's and I would rather prefer a 5.75" size, idially into the chrome OEM housing.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an LED replacement headlight bulb for a 1993 VMax? Looking for a much brighter headlight.
I just fitted a 3 sided h4 led in stock housing and is way better.
I also have the upgraded 7inch multi reflect housing to go on for better beam spread.

One thing to watch out for when buying an aftermarket LED H4 replacement is the actual wattage of the lamp and the output lumens. The replacement bulbs can vary quite a bit, but all are less watts than the halogen lamp. I picked up one off Amazon by Car Work Box. It was 30 watts and over 6000 lumens so way brighter than halogen. Has a blue angel eye so looked kind of cool. Any less watts or lumens and it might not be much brighter than stock. Most of the LED replacements listed have the dimensions of the lamps listed so compare inside your headlight shell before buying. I have an older LED conversion in my Max and this one went into an old XS650 and fit just fine.

Just wondering if your LED "daymaker" fits in the stock bezel? I found some VMaxxers moved to 7" housings and LED's and I would rather prefer a 5.75" size, idially into the chrome OEM housing.
Here's what works, its an ebay item. Its the bucket that your referring to not the bezel.
That bucket and the ring shown in the last post( black ) are available in chrome too.
Yup same size too. The sealed 5.75" Daymaker , J.W.Speaker or the china copy, Sunpie or Dayglo, LOL, won't seat in the Vmax bucket and ring assy.
The one that really is junk is the "Halo" set-up, not at all bright and won't last.

Attachments

• 20190514_203558.jpg
    20190514_203558.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 15
I just fitted a 3 sided h4 led in stock housing and is way better.
I also have the upgraded 7inch multi reflect housing to go on for better beam spread.
Pull up to a wall or garage door at night, does your set-up have a cut-off?
If not your probably blinding oncoming traffic.

Gent, not sure if you were referring to my set-up or Nsubs in the previous post. The lamp I used has a very distinct cut-off on low beam so should not be an issue for oncoming traffic and is way brighter than a stock halogen. It is a good plug-n-play if a guy wants brighter and doesn’t want to go to the trouble of changing housings. Keeps the Max looking stock. I cannot vouch for other makes of LED lamps and if they are focused properly - if they are DOT approved, they should be OK though.
I just checked and the Car Work Box lamp is a 2 - sided lamp much like an original H4 halogen would be. A 3 - sided lamp could possibly spray light in every direction.

Last edited:
Gent, not sure if you were referring to my set-up or Nsubs in the previous post. The lamp I used has a very distinct cut-off on low beam so should not be an issue for oncoming traffic and is way brighter than a stock halogen. It is a good plug-n-play if a guy wants brighter and doesn’t want to go to the trouble of changing housings. Keeps the Max looking stock. I cannot vouch for other makes of LED lamps and if they are focused properly - if they are DOT approved, they should be OK though.
I just checked and the Car Work Box lamp is a 2 - sided lamp much like an original H4 halogen would be. A 3 - sided lamp could possibly spray light in every direction.
It's "The Way" of a great many Vmax riders that you can't simply replace a bulb and have a good result. It almost always requires hundreds of dollars in investment and a full machine shop working for hours on end to get a decent result. :rolleyes:

It's "The Way" of a great many Vmax riders that you can't simply replace a bulb and have a good result. It almost always requires hundreds of dollars in investment and a full machine shop working for hours on end to get a decent result. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I cannot agree. Even as a "fresh" new Maxxer, I disagree with all due respect.

To replace the bulb with a better bulb is giving you a tiny bit of a better light. To replace the bulb with a LED bulb is as helpful (for oncoming traffic) as you can imagine and getting a reflector fitting into the OEM housing plus the LED bulb might be more expensive than to swap out the OEM light to a 7" LED solution from aliexpress.

In Europe traffic law clicks in, too. To use the LED bulb will be totally ilegal, getting a certified LED headlight for 300$ might be meeting requirements.

And to modern LED headlights are by far better in terms of lighting and riders safety than any solution you can get with the OEM housing.

To replace the bulb with a better bulb is giving you a tiny bit of a better light.
It's a lot more light. It's about the same difference going from the old halogen to the LED as it was back in the day going from the old sealed beam to a halogen. The factory halogen H4 will put out right around 1,000 lumens. The LED H4 can pound out around 2,000 to 4,000 depending on which one you buy.

It's a really big difference.

Again, if you're up for modifying your entire headlight assembly to fit one of those ugly things, you're perfectly welcome. Knock yourself out. But if all someone wants to do is replace a bulb that takes all of 10 minutes and gives you good light, just pop an H4 LED in it and be done with it.

Where do you like to purchase a H4 LED replacement bulb and what wattage do you recommend?
Anywhere from anybody, really. I ordered an Auxito simple because it was on sale at the time for around 50 bucks and it didn't have the huge base on it that some of them have. It worked perfectly and is about twice as bright as the old halogen bulb. It claims to be twice as bright and I think it is. If anything, it may be just a bit shy of it but not by much.

Again, if you're up for modifying your entire headlight assembly to fit one of those ugly things, you're perfectly welcome. Knock yourself out. But if all someone wants to do is replace a bulb that takes all of 10 minutes and gives you good light, just pop an H4 LED in it and be done with it.

one of these ugly things:
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000124...lo2deu&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.36253c00HU9zn8&mp=1
just as an example, this wont look too difficult to fit. Ugly? well, for sure not half of the esthetics of the OEM 5,75" stuff - but Im sure the gain of light is paying a bit back.

Before you deface the front of your vMax for about the same amount of money, try an LED lamp. The Car Work one I mentioned or the Auxito that Parm mentioned are both better than the stock halogen. The stock halogen lamp is 55 watts on low, but the LED lamps are far more efficient. Way over double the light output from 15 watts (Auxito) to 30 watts (Car Works) You want a 2 sided lamp. (So it is configured like the original halogen and will work with the original reflector) It should be specified for motorcycle use and would be nice if it had DOT approval. Buy it off Amazon and if it doesn’t give a proper cut-off line send it back.

Before you deface the front of your vMax for about the same amount of money, try an LED lamp. The Car Work one I mentioned or the Auxito that Parm mentioned are both better than the stock halogen. The stock halogen lamp is 55 watts on low, but the LED lamps are far more efficient. Way over double the light output from 15 watts (Auxito) to 30 watts (Car Works) You want a 2 sided lamp. (So it is configured like the original halogen and will work with the original reflector) It should be specified for motorcycle use and would be nice if it had DOT approval. Buy it off Amazon and if it doesn’t give a proper cut-off line send it back.
I agree, straight fit very bright

It's a lot more light. It's about the same difference going from the old halogen to the LED as it was back in the day going from the old sealed beam to a halogen. The factory halogen H4 will put out right around 1,000 lumens. The LED H4 can pound out around 2,000 to 4,000 depending on which one you buy.

It's a really big difference.

Anywhere from anybody, really. I ordered an Auxito simple because it was on sale at the time for around 50 bucks and it didn't have the huge base on it that some of them have. It worked perfectly and is about twice as bright as the old halogen bulb. It claims to be twice as bright and I think it is. If anything, it may be just a bit shy of it but not by much.
Ok, great. Thanks for the info. Do you recall what the wattage was on that Auxito?

Ok, great. Thanks for the info. Do you recall what the wattage was on that Auxito?

The stock halogen lamp is 55 watts on low, but the LED lamps are far more efficient. Way over double the light output from 15 watts (Auxito) to 30 watts (Car Works) You want a 2 sided lamp.

Edit to add: Just checked the box mine came in and it's max 22 watts.

Last edited:
Back