LEft ide crank cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waylander

Reaction score
Left side crank cover

Anyone know how I get this thing off? I've removed all the allen bolts but it stays put like there is something else holding it on but I can't see it.

Need to get it off cause I'm replacing my worn out starter clutch.

The magnets in the flywheel is what's causing it to stick. Take a soft mallet and gently beat around the gasket surfaces. Then, pull like a son of a bitch.

Some oil is going to come out too, so get ready for that also.

OK got it loose so I can look inside it (not enough to see anything) but I can't get it all the way off.

Seems to be getting stuck on something behind the clutch cover (the cover behind the left side footpeg and shift lever) and not sure what I need to do to remove that or even if I'm supposed to.

In the manual it shows that the clutch cover is off but I can't find where it tells me how to remove it.

You might be getting caught up on the starter gears.

Nah that side moves pretty freely. there are some wires going into the cover from the backside (near the clutch cover) that are what are jaming. So I do need to pull the clutch cover off, but like I said I can't find how to do it nd don't want to just unbolt shit incase there is something I need to do to keep the clutch from falling apart.

Sorry had that wrong. It's the middle gear Case cover.

Should have it sorted now. Though I'll be back if there's a problem lol.

Cheers.

What year is your VMax? If you have the cloth covered wires coming out from the stator, change them out now that you are in there. Oil wicks up the cloth and you end up with a constant oil drip.

Buster, does that mean you found the source of our oil drip? Or is it still something from the airbox?

looks like an 85 to me. 85 only side covers (which can be changed) but also has the right colored valve covers for that year.

Buster, does that mean you found the source of our oil drip? Or is it still something from the airbox?

That was my original leak when I first got it. I changed out mine and that stopped the leak. The new leak is still from the airbox. Will probably pull the bike out of storage this weekend and do a compression test as we discussed in chat. I'm pretty sure though, that I've bagged out the motor.

What year is your VMax? If you have the cloth covered wires coming out from the stator, change them out now that you are in there. Oil wicks up the cloth and you end up with a constant oil drip.
It is an 85 though it's registerd as an 88.

Looks like they are cloth (kind of a mesh weave like braided lines) Will check into that when I order a new starter clutch tomorrow.

Back