Left rear header is loose?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnagmour

Reaction score
Installed some Supertrapps this weekend without much trouble but I noticed that the left rear header had some "play" in it. It'd move about 1/2" front to back like it's loose. Ran out of time to pull the exhaust covers to see whats going on. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about? To be honest I didnt notice if the right rear did the same but I don't think it did. Looked at the fiche and the joint is pretty funky but I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be that way or not. Thanks for your help!

Just tighten it with a allen wrench. I cut an allen key and used last 1/2 inch along with box wrench to tighten.

+1 A ratcheting box end gear wrench works good to turn the allen stub also.
+1. I used a inch or so long I cut out of a worn out allen wrench (using the good ball end part) with some duct tape on it to keep it from sliding through the gearwrench, which works great. The inside ones were next to impossible until someone here told me about this trick.

Last edited:
Get a set of these...

powerbuilt-642403-metric-wobble-ball-hex-bit-set-8-piece.jpg

Installed some Supertrapps this weekend without much trouble but I noticed that the left rear header had some "play" in it. It'd move about 1/2" front to back like it's loose. Ran out of time to pull the exhaust covers to see whats going on. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about? To be honest I didnt notice if the right rear did the same but I don't think it did. Looked at the fiche and the joint is pretty funky but I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be that way or not. Thanks for your help!

You need to remove the vanity cover and check the allen head nuts, you may have already lost one. One loosened on mine and I heard the exhaust note getting louder. There just isn't much room in there, is there? I have used all the methods mentioned as-far as using a short Allen key length & a box wrench, I bought some of those gear-drive wrenches at Christmas. I also have the dedicated 3/8" drive sockets but have found the stub length is easier for my fat fingers w/the gear-drive wrench.

Thanks for the help everybody. I was really hoping for a "no, that's completely normal" response! My usual run of luck continues lol. Guess I'll get in there in the next day or two and keep my fingers crossed that the bolt is still there. It is definitey a tight spot to work in.

Back