legality of nitrous on the street

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
obviously it would be installed for the track since it illegal to street race but i was just thinking about the legality of nitrous being installed on a bike that is on the street. meaning lets say i had a track bike that had nitrous installed and wanted to also ride it to and from work. would the bottle have to be removed for the street?

guess would depend in your state. i'd say its legal til you get caught hahahaha.

worse case is you just take the bottle off while driving, but what fun is that!!!!!! bet you could slip a cover over it and no-one would bother you.

yeah a bottle hanging off the side of the bike could be anything.. even a milk jug from the store right? lol

Every state and many counties and some cities regulate that independently. Most allow it but many do not. Not sure if there is a website listing the areas.

im pretty sure here in redneckville just about anything is ok as long as you dont get caught getting stupid with the throttle. it was just somethign i was thinking about that i dont hear discussed much. i know lots of people with cars who have it but the tank is obviously hidden from view of passerbys where as on a bike its in the wide open.

As usual, google produces answers in less than 30 seconds.

In most states, it is legal to carry NO in your car. Texas has zero requirements about it, but most others require a permit to "legally" transport and/or a placard in the window stating there's pressurized gas inside to be 100% up-and-up. Some states the permit is free, others you have to pay. In ANY case, it is NOT legal to use it. Again, more variants about can't be hooked up, can be connected but not open, can't be in reach of driver, ect.

In California, like you'd expect, it's a no-go. You need a hazmat endorsed license to legally transport it.

To me, it's one of those things that's only illegal if you get caught. It's a lot harder to hide a bottle on a bike, and any cop who's been on the job for more than a week knows what a NO bottle looks like. Plus, how is a LEO going to know if you're using it or not? I've had other riders ask me if I had NO just from how fast the Vmax is stock.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My only question would be Why ? Do you feel the need for NO ? Isn't the Max crazy fast enough without it ? On the street at least it's overkill...my 2 cents...

:rocket bike:

I've had it on several of my bikes throughout the years. The only time it was questioned was at a 7-11 when a cop getting some coffee asked me if I used it on the street already knowing the answer I was going to give.

There are several bikes and cars up here that have bottles totally visible and I've never heard of any problem.

Attachments

• SDC10446.jpg
    SDC10446.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
noone NEEDS nitrous :) was more of a hypothetical question really. and it wouldnt be installed for the street since street racing is bad. its just something ive been tossing around debating if i wanted to do it for at the track. but i wouldnt want to remove the visible stuff just to ride it on the street either.

kj.... thats what i pretty much thought. i was pretty sure it was ok but i didnt want to get harassed either. once in a while at a gas station i can live with though.

kj.... thats what i pretty much thought. i was pretty sure it was ok but i didnt want to get harassed either. once in a while at a gas station i can live with though.

Normally it's an amount thing when you get into placarding and the like.
ie:
The DOT sets exact limits on the weight of hazardous materials that may be transported before vehicle placarding is required. (Remember, when you are transporting cylinders, you are transporting hazardous materials.) Vehicle placarding is required when the total weight (both cylinders and their gas products) reach a combined weight of 1000 pounds or more. Some states also require hazardous material transportation permits when placarding is required. Consult your state's highway patrol office for specific requirements.

You even have to placard after a certain amount of CO2, but to have a few bottles full and driving to your local paintball tourney is legal. I don't see any issue with a pair of 10oz bottles or a 2.5lb bottle. A friend of mine has a 5lb bottle that sits between the seats of his supra. a conversation starter but never been busted for it. Not even after getting pulled over several times.

Saying you've never raced your Vmax on the street is like that old saying about men who said they've never whacked off...show me one and I'll show you a liar. Hitting it off a redlight....that can get you a racing ticket. More than 40mph over the limit(have you ever taken your Max over 100?)? That's street racing, at least in NY. I know one case where two people got racing tickets (in cars), for lining up in two lanes and smashing it off a red light in front of a cop. He pulled out and put the cherries 'n berries on before they hit second gear.

I "race" on the street all the time, as in going 30 miles on the freeway at a minimum of 120mph, with four other bikes also going the same speed. Downhill straightaways? Push the needle to 140 and beyond. At that point cops become pretty much a non-issue....we blew by a state trooper in mass on 91 doing at least 130 in the left lane. Saw him pointing the radar gun out the window right at us, but we kept the hammer down, and he didn't even pull out. At that point they realize by the time they get into traffic and get up to speed, you'll be long gone. Had similar "fly-bys" on 87 also with the same result.

So if you use nitrous to drive at extra-legal speeds(and what else would you use it for, since the Max is easily capable of doubling the speed limit bone stock), and you happen to get caught, you'll have bigger issues than the gogo juice bottle.

thats why its for the track only. as said a few times already. the question was do i need to unhook the bottle to legally ride the bike on the street afterwards and between track days. or is simply just turning the valve off going to be good enough. but looks like kj answered the question without reading too much into what was said. and i never said i didnt race it or go above the posted speed limit i just said it was bad....

Just to be safe you might want to leave the bottle hooked up, but with no NO in it. That way you have a bottle there to keep shit out of your system and no worries about the law man taking you in:eusa_dance:

obviously it would be installed for the track since it illegal to street race but i was just thinking about the legality of nitrous being installed on a bike that is on the street. meaning lets say i had a track bike that had nitrous installed and wanted to also ride it to and from work. would the bottle have to be removed for the street?

:punk: Hey, lots of people run them in Arizona. Some are exposed tank and some are stealth. You never know if you can't see the tank. Funny stuff, Spurs

funny i had a dream about racing the vmax last night and sure did have nos on it......... man was that you i was racing in lala land hahahahahha do it get the bottle :punk:

Latest posts

Back