Let down: Max strands me - I walk 3 miles...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
I'm sure it is electrical, most likely the "hot start problem." This thread will be really useful in helping me fix the problem(s):
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=203

Anyway, the wife and I were out about 3.5 miles from the house - still in town - just riding around in another neighborhood. Parked the bike for like 5 or 6 minutes and when we tried to fire it up, nothing. It's not like the bike was super hot, probably half-way between cold and the dot. We ended up walking back to the house carrying our helmets in hand. Very embarrassing when you have your riding gear on and you are walking down busy streets. Came back with the jumper cables and got it going again with little effort.

I should have tried it first without the cables but I know for sure the battery is part of the problem. I was trying to get the rest of the life out of the POs battery, which I did.

There are a bunch of things I will have to look at. I ordered a used 2001 starter with a stated 11k miles on it. This should have 2 more brushes than my 85 starter and 29k less miles on it. Maybe I'll tear into it when I get it to clean it, lube the bearings, check brushes, and perhaps find a way to solder up some ground wiring.

Also will have to consider a new R/R and maybe solder it up. And of course the crimp fix, if not already done, and a good battery.

Since this is the first time this has happened to me on this bike, I assume the charging and starting systems have been good until the battery started going south for the winter. But I don't want to blow a bunch of cash on a good battery until I know that the charging system is in order.

Every good rider has to make the walk of shame...LOL.

Let me know how your conversion goes. I have an 85 as well and I can feel the starter just beggin to go out.

Take it easy and be safe,
Abe

Sort of happened to me on my '94. stopped for a few minutes then tried to fire it up and didn't have enough juice. It had happened before but i just turned the key on/off and all the power came back.

This time a jump got it going really quick and i got her home. I had been putting it almost every night on a battery tender (not sure if that was the cause) but there was 0 water in the battery. Filled her up, cleaned the terminals and didn't have the problem again. I thought i had checked the battery when i bought the bike (about 10 months prior), but i remember not being able to tell where the water is and it checked out good on a tester. Could have been dangerously low to begin with.

good luck with the fix bud!

If you upgrade the R/R to one with a seperate ground, (which is really what you want, in an '85) run the positive (red) and negative(black) wires from the new R/R DIRECTLY to the battery. This negates the need for the "Crimp fix", as the charging current doesnt travel through the crimp any more....

I've had an '85 since it was new - fought this for over 20 years till I got here and found out how to fix it the right way!

Is there a reason you couldn't get it rolling in pop the clutch? I used to do that with my old Maxim and dirt bike, and a few cars.

If you upgrade the R/R to one with a seperate ground, (which is really what you want, in an '85) run the positive (red) and negative(black) wires from the new R/R DIRECTLY to the battery. This negates the need for the "Crimp fix", as the charging current doesnt travel through the crimp any more....

I've had an '85 since it was new - fought this for over 20 years till I got here and found out how to fix it the right way!

Bill, did you run a separate wire from the battery to main fuse to ignition switch?

Bill, did you run a separate wire from the battery to main fuse to ignition switch?

Mark
You dont have to run a separate wire. Just use the existing wire. I took apart the whole crimp. Ran the r/r to the battery and used a marine splice to hook up the main fuse wire. All is well:clapping:
Cheers:punk:

Cool. I should've done that, would have been easier. I basically eliminated the crimp and re-did with bigger gauge wire. Then, soldered and put a terminal on two of the wires and soldered a terminal on the 3rd wire. Hooked 'em up and insulated.

No technically your VMAX didnt leave you walking..... Ever hear of pop start,, I have had to do this a few times this yr with that piece of shit Panosonic batter I installed..

So Yeah I am sure you were embarrased, your wife was probably thinking why doesnt this guy just pop start it and come back and pick me up...

I have broken a clutch lever, dead battery, leaking float bowl (Yeah I know Maleko I should have adjusted it) short blowing fuses..

I have walked though for the following.

2 Blown Engines.
1 Main Fuse Short blowing at 2AM no lights to fix it.
Broken Swing Arm.

For a dead battery? :rofl_200: No way in hell even more so if I was with a chick,, if anything I would make her push you on your motorcycle,.,, Get pushing bitch!

No technically your VMAX didnt leave you walking..... Ever hear of pop start,, I have had to do this a few times this yr with that piece of shit Panosonic batter I installed..

So Yeah I am sure you were embarrased, your wife was probably thinking why doesnt this guy just pop start it and come back and pick me up...

I have broken a clutch lever, dead battery, leaking float bowl (Yeah I know Maleko I should have adjusted it) short blowing fuses..

I have walked though for the following.

2 Blown Engines.
1 Main Fuse Short blowing at 2AM no lights to fix it.
Broken Swing Arm.

For a dead battery? :rofl_200: No way in hell even more so if I was with a chick,, if anything I would make her push you on your motorcycle,.,, Get pushing bitch!

:rofl_200:

Yeah, I could have bump started it, but the only available downhill was toward a busy intersection; I didn't want to risk stalling the bike right there. I was able to park it in a driveway until I came back.

Doesnt have to be a downhill, I have bump started mine running beside it, I will admit it wont win any awards of looking cool in the process and its a pig to push start but it can be done..

Put the bike in Netruel.
Get beside it and get a lil faster than a fast walk pace and jump on throw it in 2nd and let the clutch out and as soon as it starts pull clutch back in, it starts instantly..

watch

Found loose battery terminal connections today. Bought a nice battery charger. Charged up the battery and everything was fine.

Noticed that the battery that is in use on the bike is a Wal-Mart lead-acid battery, not OEM, and not OEM size.

Have had the bike out several times since recharging the battery and tightening the terminals and it starts fine now, even on the junk battery and old starter.

I'll probably install the 2001 starter on a cold weekend but may not get a battery until spring. I'll either mod the battery box to fit the larger batteries or will just figure out what you all think is the best direct replacement battery and use it.

Back