Let's play VMax vs. New VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
VMax:

69chevelle396blacklarge.jpg

New VMax:

2006-Dodge-Viper-5.jpg

I'm not digging that analogy. The V-Max was miles beyond the level of a rat motored Chevelle, from a technology standpoint.

I would also venture that the new Max is much fresher than a Viper. This analogy is closer....but the new Max is more high tech than the Viper. The Viper is more of a throwback with that V-10.

Mike

We'll have to see if the K2 Max handles like a Viper. I hope so, hate to see another bad handling VMax.

ok i will give this a try:

Old vmax:
1968 Plymouth S/S Hemi Barracuda
For many years, dropping the Hemi engine into the Barracuda was a popular way to gain dominance at the dragstrip. Chrysler, with the help of Hurst, sought to duplicate the efforts from the factory. The cars came with street tires and a shallow oil pan off the trailer. Install slicks, a deeper oil pan, camshaft and valvetrain and you were into the 10s... easy. The S/S Hemi Barracudas were delivered in early May so they would be ready to qualify for the NHRA Spring Nationals. R.D. McLaughlin, Chrysler-Plymouth general sales manager, outlined for dealers and racers what they could order.

Here is the letter: ---

February 20, 1968 To: All Plymouth Dealers Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in supervised acceleration trials. These cars will weigh approximately 3,000 pounds and have been designed to meet the 1968 specifications of the major sanctioning drag strip organizations. The Hemi-Powered Barracudas will be available through production in limited quantities in March. To order this vehicle, use the Barracuda Order Form and specify Body Code BO29 and Transmission Code, either 4 Speed Manual, Code 393, or Automatic, Code 395. No other specifications are necessary. Description of Components
  • 426 cu. In. 8-cylinder engine with dual 4-barrel carburetors-12.5 to 1 compression ratio.
  • Cross Ram Intake manifold.
  • 1 11/16" x 1 11/16" Holley carburetors.
  • Competition Hooker headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers.
  • High capacity oil pump.
  • Roller timing chain (reduced timing chain stretch for more consistent engine performance).
  • Mechanical valve gear.
  • Dual breaker distributor.
  • Transistor ignition.
  • Metal core type ignition wires.
  • Unsilenced air cleaners.
  • Deep groove fan drive pulleys.
  • Heavy duty radiator.
  • Aluminum seven-blade fan equipped with Viscous drive.
  • Special offset 15" rear wheels.
  • Chrysler-built 8 3/4" large stem pinion gear set, and heavy-duty axle shafts with automatic transmission (4.86 axle ratio).
  • Dana-built 9 3/4" heavy-duty axle with manual transmission (4.88 axle ratio).
  • Sure-Grip differential.
  • 135 Amp. Hr. battery (located in rear compartment).
  • Heavy-duty high control rear suspension.
  • Front disc brakes 41/2" Bolt Circle.
  • Fiberglass front fenders.
  • Fiberglass hood with scoop.
  • Light weight steel doors.
  • Light weight front bumper.
  • Light weight side window glass.
  • High capacity fuel lines.
  • Business coupe interior (2 bucket seats - no rear seat).
For Manual Transmission Only
  • Special heavy-duty 10 1/2" clutch and flywheel.
  • Safety steel clutch housing.
  • Competition "Slick Shift" 4-speed transmission.
  • Hurst remote mounted floor-shift unit with reverse lockout.
For Automatic Transmission Only
  • High stall speed torque converter (large drive lugs and 7/16" diameter attaching screws).
  • Heavy-duty manual shift TorqueFlite transmission.
  • Hurst floor-mounted shift unit.
Please Note: The following items are deleted on this body type: Heater, Body Sealer and Sound Deadeners, Silence Pads, Outside Mirrors, Right Side Seat Belt and Body Color Paint. NO OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT OF ANY KIND CAN BE ORDERED The policy of Chrysler Corporation is one of continual improvement in design and manufacture, wherever possible, to insure a still finer car. Hence, specifications, equipment and prices are subject to change without notice. These vehicles are intended to use in supervised acceleration trials and other competitive events, therefore, they will be sold without warrant. Special stickers will be provided for plant installation (attached to left "A" post) which will read as follows: "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways and does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. All customer orders must be accompanied by a signed disclaimer (sample attached) indicating that the purchaser understands that this vehicle is sold without warranty and does not conform to Federal Vehicle Safety Standards. Any prospective customer who desires to purchase one of these maximum performance vehicles should be made aware of the following characteristics which make them unsuitable for general use. A high idle speed is required to insure adequate lubrication, minimize roughness, and to keep the engine from stalling. The modified intake manifold causes a rich surging condition, misfiring and unstable engine operation in cold weather, which makes ordinary street driving extremely difficult and it is not recommended for this use. Higher than normal oil consumption will be encountered because of increased lubrication to the valve train and cylinder walls. The carburetors are calibrated for maximum power and a high numerical axle ration is used for acceleration. As a result, the gas mileage is considerably less than for a conventional car. Engine noise would be objectionable due to increased piston clearance and mechanical valve tappet clearance. The ignition system is designed for optimum engine output and must be kept in top condition. This makes it necessary to inspect, adjust and replace the spark plugs and ignition points more frequently than would be necessary on a standard engine. On car equipped with automatic transmission, band adjustment must be made frequently. Due to performance characteristics, maintenance and operating expense will be high since premium fuel is required and frequent oil changes are a MUST. Does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Warranty and Policy Coverage Any customer purchasing this model vehicle should be advised that due to the expected use, the vehicle is sold "as is" and the 24 month or 24,000 mile vehicle warranty coverage, the 5 year or 50,000 mile Power Train Warranty coverage, or any other warranty coverage (including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness for purpose intended or merchantability) will not apply to the vehicle. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for the manner in which such vehicles operate. Any repairs or adjustments which you believe warranty factory participation should be brought to the attention of your Regional Service Office where such requests will be handled on individual merits. Attached is a form letter (to be prepared on your letterhead) which should be thoroughly understood and signed by each prospective purchaser and attached to your order for each Hemi Barracuda Super Stock. The purpose of the letter is to explain the normal operation characteristics of these vehicles and clarify that the warranty coverage's do not apply. Be sure a letter in this form, signed by your customer, is included with your order so there will be no delay.

Attachments

• hemi.jpg
    hemi.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 12
ok i will give this a try:

Old vmax:
1968 Plymouth S/S Hemi Barracuda
For many years, dropping the Hemi engine into the Barracuda was a popular way to gain dominance at the dragstrip. Chrysler, with the help of Hurst, sought to duplicate the efforts from the factory. The cars came with street tires and a shallow oil pan off the trailer. Install slicks, a deeper oil pan, camshaft and valvetrain and you were into the 10s... easy. The S/S Hemi Barracudas were delivered in early May so they would be ready to qualify for the NHRA Spring Nationals. R.D. McLaughlin, Chrysler-Plymouth general sales manager, outlined for dealers and racers what they could order.

Here is the letter: ---

February 20, 1968 To: All Plymouth Dealers Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in supervised acceleration trials.

Engine noise would be objectionable due to increased piston clearance and mechanical valve tappet clearance. The ignition system is designed for optimum engine output and must be kept in top condition. This makes it necessary to inspect, adjust and replace the spark plugs and ignition points more frequently than would be necessary on a standard engine. On car equipped with automatic transmission, band adjustment must be made frequently. Due to performance characteristics, maintenance and operating expense will be high since premium fuel is required and frequent oil changes are a MUST. Does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Warranty and Policy Coverage Any customer purchasing this model vehicle should be advised that due to the expected use, the vehicle is sold "as is" and the 24 month or 24,000 mile vehicle warranty coverage, the 5 year or 50,000 mile Power Train Warranty coverage, or any other warranty coverage (including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness for purpose intended or merchantability) will not apply to the vehicle. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for the manner in which such vehicles operate. Any repairs or adjustments which you believe warranty factory participation should be brought to the attention of your Regional Service Office where such requests will be handled on individual merits. Attached is a form letter (to be prepared on your letterhead) which should be thoroughly understood and signed by each prospective purchaser and attached to your order for each Hemi Barracuda Super Stock. The purpose of the letter is to explain the normal operation characteristics of these vehicles and clarify that the warranty coverage's do not apply. Be sure a letter in this form, signed by your customer, is included with your order so there will be no delay.
:clapping::biglaugh::rofl_200:

New Vmax:

10.85 129.50 New Best for a Bone-stock C6Z06 on DOT Drag Radials
I grew up relishing the stories on Zora?s specially prepared ZL1 Corvette running in the 10.90s on slicks. Love those stories. And it?s almost hard to imagine that 35 years later, a showroom stock Corvette, albeit a 2006 Z06, with no change to the car other than using DOT drag radial tires could eclipse the times posted by that fabled ZL1. But it happened today at Maryland International Raceway in Budds Creek, Maryland.

On my first pass of the day, after an hour-long cool-down and change of rear tires to the BFGs, I ran a clean pass with the type of launch and 1-2 shift I?ve been looking for. Here are the splits:

60'........1.679 3650 launch rpm with a fast clutch release and fast throttle squeeze
330'......4.625
660'......7.046 102.61
1000'.....9.114
1320'...10.856 129.50

Attachments

• 06corvetteZO611.jpg
    06corvetteZO611.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
I used to have a 1970 Hemicuda and a 1970 Hemi charger The Charger was cool looking but a trailer queen the Cuda was bad ass plum crazy purple with black interior black stripes shaker hood[argent shaker] four speed pistol grip,410 Dana rear I sold both of them about 10 years ago

Ive had ZR1,Z06 corvettes a 1999 RT Viper The list goes on Bottom line there is a feeling you get driving a factory original Hemicuda[one of the most sought after cars ever] that any Viper, Vette or Lamborghini for tha matter, cant match! Of all the [well over 100] cars Ive had[including 9 Corvettes] the Hemicuda is the only one I regret selling there was something about seeing someones jaw drop at a stoplight when they saw theHemi hockey stick stripe on the quarter and the hemicuda emblems on the shaker. Its the wow factor that makes it fun !the driving or riding a legend

The New max has yet to earn its keep[its reputation as the old one],until that time,you cant compare it to anything especially a Viper[that has earned its reputation]Its just childs play!

I used to have a 1970 Hemicuda ...............]

:drool:.......you just went to the top of my cool guy list....

I had a 70 cuda that i put a 440 in when i was 18..... never should have sold it....

The superstock cuda and dart always reminds me of the vmax.... slightly ugly, under appreciated by most people, but scary freakin fast....

:drool:.......you just went to the top of my cool guy list....

I had a 70 cuda that i put a 440 in when i was 18..... never should have sold it....

The superstock cuda and dart always reminds me of the vmax.... slightly ugly, under appreciated by most people, but scary freakin fast....

In High school [81-83] I had two 71 340 Cuda's one with a shaker hood and billboard stripe both cool fun cars,I swore one day Id have a Hemicuda.

The 440 was a great motor, stock Hemi's are hard to keep in tune with the duel Carter AFB's 440-6 was much more street able

In High school [81-83] I had two 71 340 Cuda's one with a shaker hood and billboard stripe both cool fun cars,I swore one day Id have a Hemicuda.

The 440 was a great motor, stock Hemi's are hard to keep in tune with the duel Carter AFB's 440-6 was much more street able

i hear ya...
Mine wasnt too exotic....i was "underfunded" at the time....440 was out of a moble home.... and i had a single fourbarell on it..... In those days i used to go to bed thingking about fuel injection and hemi heads..... wow.... so many years ago....
Hey do you remember how when you put the visor down on the cuda it would almost hit the steering wheel? haha.... it was such a cool car...... i feel ebay callin

I remember my brother mocking my first 340 Cuda because the door sagged cause the hinges were worn out and the doors sounded hollow when you shut them[he had and has a 72 340 Duster] and yes the viser thing the round air vent knobs,slapstick.... I love those damn cars

well my buick lesabra ran in the 17s...talk about getting your moneys worth going down the track

I remember my brother mocking my first 340 Cuda because the door sagged cause the hinges were worn out and the doors sounded hollow when you shut them[he had and has a 72 340 Duster] and yes the viser thing the round air vent knobs,slapstick.... I love those damn cars

i bought a door at a swap meet once and it took all i could to get it back to my buds truck...... i think they make an entire Honda civic out of the steel in one door of a cuda.... funny how it was once the smallest car in the Chrysler line up.... remember the mail slot trunk..... massive by todays standards....

Latest posts

Back