Life has consequences, she learned the hard way"it's not about me"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone needs an attitude adjustment to make it in the workday world.
http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/yelp-w...illennial-who-whined-about-her-salary-online/

Memo to Millennials: Corporate America doesn’t want to have a “dialogue” about your “concerns.” Being an employee is not like being a college student. Your boss isn’t there to give you a cuddle and establish a committee to change his ways for you.
Your employers can and will fire you for making them look bad. This is as it must be.
A 25-year-old San Francisco Yelp employee named Talia Jane didn’t like the salary she was offered at the groovy tech company Yelp. So did she decline the job offer and take her skill set to a higher bidder? No, she accepted the gig, then publicly whined about her salary. In an open letter. To her CEO. Whom she called out by name.

And what do you think happened to the unhappy employee?

It is unfortunate that the generalization of an entire generation is summed up by stories like this; I read it and I cringe. There are some milennials who strap up for 50-60 hrs a week and lead successful careers, I work with many. It's is the cycle of generational generalization that continues; my parents do for ours as your parents did for yours and theirs did for theirs....

Probly goes back to some high school guidance counselor who encouraged her candy & bubblegum dreams instead of telling her how it really is out there.

It also goes back to her parents as well, they didnt teach her about life.

If you worked in a highly technical area of higher education, as I do, watching how the different ages of students behave, you would know, "it's different now," just like the war babies born and raised during WW II saw things change for the postwar Baby Boomers. At some point each generation has to realize, "time to get to work," but the expectations of today's college students are much different. Not all choices in areas of study will lead to financially-rewarding careers, and those that do are ones which require much more work to succeed than the humanities. (We've all heard of STEM fields) That hasn't changed, but the students coming out of high school and who are now attending college, or who have recently completed it, don't want to wait five years to 'move-up.' "I've been here two and a half months, when do I get my raise, and move to the next level? I need to take a week and a half off to go kick it at Bonnaroo. Why won't they let me go?"

Students who are encouraged to "follow your passion" and find-out their $120,000 four year degree is good for a barista job and not much-else, want someone, that-being, you and me, to pay for their poor choices. I know, because I heard one of the presidential front-runners at my college campus, saying, 'free tuition'. Try to leverage your degree into a graduate program where you may have a chance of completing a program which has a growth potential for the next twenty years, and reconcile yourself to having to work two jobs so you can retire your debts. It could take you ten years, or more, and no, you're probably not going to be living in a $500,000 home and driving an E-class/5-series German car, until you get on-track, and complete a high-demand degree program, and demonstrate your proficiency, your competency, and your fit in the organization, and do it for years.

There are many technical programs which don't require a college degree, and the need for skilled trades will never end. We need carpenters, plumbers, HVAC tradesmen, steelworkers, electricians, and people can emerge from training programs and begin to make more money than those baristas with the English Literature degrees.

It is unfortunate that the generalization of an entire generation is summed up by stories like this; I read it and I cringe. There are some milennials who strap up for 50-60 hrs a week and lead successful careers, I work with many. It's is the cycle of generational generalization that continues; my parents do for ours as your parents did for yours and theirs did for theirs....

Years ago, when I was on a ground ambulance, my partner at the time wasnt working out. We could be running code 3 on a call, and if drivers didnt immediately pull over, he would flip them off, he would get rude on scene with difficult patients, and he didnt understand, that were times that I would be up at 3 am having to finish paperwork. He was 25, and a basic EMT.

I went to the supervisor, and said that things werent working out, could there be a partner swap? He started of by saying, "Well you know, he's a good kid...etc". "I said 20 years ago when you graduated high school, you got in the military, you went to collage, you voted, etc....so you were an ADULT at 18. Now at 25, your still a kid....when did that change?" The supervisor turned and walked away.

I agree fire-medic. Unfortunately "time to go to work" is now becoming "why should I work?". for the majority (Mellenials, Gen y's, ect alike). A sad world we live in with you and I flipping the bill.

I fall in that same age category (I'm 26), and I see that attitude quite often. Fortunately, I have also seen a lot of people finally come to the realization and admit that going to college for an obscure degree like Communications, Sociology, etc. was a waste of time and money. They are either working jobs unrelated to their degrees, sales, retail, construction, etc. or going back to school to get a different degree. Luckily for me I got an engineering degree and had a job offer before I graduated.

I never went, didnt know what i wanted to do with my life at 18 so i just went out and got the best paying job i could get. Now at 34, i work in a skilled trade, contantly learning and improving my skills with no need for a degree and earning potential is through the roof. Ive worked my ass off to reach this point and will continue to do so in the future to set a good example not just for my son, but also for the young bloods at work so they see what it takes to make it. Far too many kids these days dont understand that dues must be paid to get where you want to be.

I dropped out of college @ 18 years old and went to work at a local printing company. Bought a Vmax. Got wiped out while riding it. Bought another Vmax. Went back to college. Got a degree and a decent paying job. Now I do accounting, pay taxes, lots of taxes. And in my spare time, hang out on this computer most days with you clowns and dream of the days off when I can ride my Vmax some more.

Ahhh hummmmmmmm.................life.

Growing up (70's), My dad didn't make us do a lot. We had to mow the lawn, that was about it. My mom was typical house wife. My dad didn't want her to work, so she was up on all the home stuff. We always had good home cooked dinners, about everything was done for me and my brother. When my dad had a bigger project, he didn't ask us to help. It was just easier to do it himself. Even though we didn't help a lot of the time, What My brother and I did learn was a great work ethic. Above reproach. Neither my brother nor I had any interest in college. When I was in my young 20's a guy I knew asked me if I was interested in a job doing concrete. I had never seen concrete come down a chute before. Had no Idea. When I talked to my dad about the job, he said " i don't think you can handle it", and he was serious. He knew how hard concrete work was, and my past at home. He struck a cord with me, And I decided " I'll show him". It was hard, but I did it full time for 15 yrs. There's not a lot of jobs that are physically as difficult as pouring and finishing concrete, but I like it and stuck with it. I think my dad's example is what helped me to be successful. Now saying that, I have a 17 yr old son that fits the millennial description to a T. We have cupboards full of food, but have nothing to eat unless you can open a bag. To have to prepare food is some type of punishment. He wants a new phone, based on a job he's going to get. My approach is to give real world advice (job first for example) and then not enable these adolencent thoughts. He has shown me that he's not interested in doing "It" unless he has to. So my job is to make him "Have to". He's a very smart kid, mid 90's average. One of his favorite shows is shark tank, an entrepreneurial business show. He has a business mind, just at this point, not the motivation. I'm hoping that what I'm telling him, and a good example, will help him, like my dad did for me. He graduates this year. Looking at 25,000 for 1 yr of college.

Send him to the local community college for the first two years, and then after he's demonstrated his competency by getting an AS or an AA, he can transfer to an upper division school. State schools shouldn't be that expensive unless you're counting room & board, and tuition, then yes, I could see it being $25K/year. $8K semester tuition=$16K/year. Nine months room/board $1K/month=$9K. Add $16K + $9K=$25K.

If he's really bright, have him apply for a Jack Kent Cooke scholarship and he can go to any school he wants, if he wins one. http://www.jkcf.org/scholarship-programs/

Choosing the right school can greatly impact your future financial status. Where I work is part of the FL college and university system, and our health science graduates usually get jobs in their fields, and their student debt is very low compared to the private university across the street, which, for example, has a nursing program leading to a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) which probably costs $30K/year (I just checked their undergraduate tuition alone is >$27,000/year). Our students finish their BSN from the state college/university program with probably close-to $100,000 less debt! (I just checked the current RN/BSN tuition, it's equivalent to about half of a semester at the private university!) And the kicker is that our program graduates more nurses than they do, and we have a higher pass rate on the state licensing exam for RN! Very cost-effective, and RN's are a growth field as we Baby Boomers age and retire.

I dropped out of college @ 18 years old and went to work at a local printing company. Bought a Vmax. Got wiped out while riding it. Bought another Vmax. Went back to college. Got a degree and a decent paying job. Now I do accounting, pay taxes, lots of taxes. And in my spare time, hang out on this computer most days with you clowns and dream of the days off when I can ride my Vmax some more.

Ahhh hummmmmmmm.................life.

I too was aimless as a youth, I thought the party would go forever and never figured on the future coming so quickly. I was nearly 40 before I graduated with an RN. It's a HUGE mistake for young people to have this attitude. Unless we elect Sanders, entitlement will be rewarded and encouraged at that time. I was never entitled, I just didnt give a shit, just livin' in the moment.

As previously stated, dues must be paid. To bad she was so entitled, that might have flourished into a career had she just put in her time and gained experience before making demands. She got her foot in the door and was not equipped with a gameplan, she must have thought that things would magically just go her way. I'm sure she will regret this forever. Wheres her Dad? its as much his fault as hers.

GrandPappy always said "life experience is what you get right after you need it":rofl_200:

If that woman had gotten some Microsoft credentials, and was qualified as a systems administrator, she probably would have been offered a starting salary three times what she was given, and she probably could have done it in half the time, and debt.

I posted this in the jokes thread a few days ago, but it seems to fit better here.

Attachments

• -1 4.32.41 PM.jpg
    -1 4.32.41 PM.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back