Life Please read,Are you part of the rat race.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin

George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropr...iate. An observation by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George CarlinSee More

https://www.facebook.com/shares/view?id=585903598121891

Im 57 now and things like this really make a lot of sense.Now more than ever I try to be real in every sense of the word,Running through life with your ass on fire is such a waste!Be it a small child one of my family members,Or a friend.i have stuck my neck out many times,The real friends appreciate,The fair weather one's cut it off without a second thought,But often times never gain a thing.This is one of the best forums that I know of,Way more honesty here,Want to thank you all.Hope you enjoyed the post it made a lot of sense to me.poppop.

I'm ready to crack 50 and now that I have lost enough people close to me, can say I feel how resonant Mr. Carlins words are. Imagine how Captainkyle feels losing so many recently that he has known and touched over his years. I am of that generation of living before pagers, cell phones, and computers and the Internet. As a youth I could carry my shotgun down the street going rabbit hunting and people just wave including the cops.
Talking back to an adult was near unheard of and drinking was our vice.
Poppop, we change with the times and times change us indeed.
I could just hear George's voice as he wrote in the same way he delivered his monologues. Being born in 56', even you and I are different but somehow I think we would get along and appreciate our differences. At least we share the sentiment and appreciation for the people that make this Forum so great and enduring.
PATMAX

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

I'm 32, and I've loved carlin since I can remember. Funny as hell, and actually had life lessons to teach. Not many can do what he did. One of the funniest ever, and has taught many much.

Wait till you kids turn 63 like me! Great words to live by. George Carlin was a genius!

You go go Bill. If I can retire and still ride my Vmax, I'll die a happy man.

Wait till you kids turn 63 like me! Great words to live by. George Carlin was a genius!

"Sixty-three! Why, If I was that-old, I think I'd have to ride into a bridge abutment or something! Glad I'm nineteen!":rofl_200:
images
images
images
images
images

I recall being in my early twenties, and my two-year-older brother and I had just moved to south FL. Florida sure beats Lake Ontario or Lake Michigan winters! The Dolphins had just won the Super Bowl, and he was dating a woman who was 30. I wondered if he got dust on his lips when he kissed her. Now if a female in her 30's gave me a look, I'd be flattered.

George Carlin was a man for the times. He was a doppelganger, discussing things we would rather keep under the bed, and making us uncomfortable because we knew he was usually right. Wouldn't you love to hear a Carlin monologue about today in the world? I would have subscribed to a weekly program online if he was around to give it, just-because of his pithy observances on the human condition. Bill Cosby was another one capable of delivering poignant comments on our foibles and behaviors, albeit in a more-PG-centered delivery.

As I've gotten older, I've realized that its the small things in life that tend to bring me the most joy.

Things that are truly free and often overlooked in life are absolutely the most fun. I've spent much of my life being driven, It's time for me to drive myself now, smell the Roses and try to leave this world a better place. I've been Retired, Disabled for some time now. Fought being in a wheelchair for the remainder of time in the 90's. I can still Ride and Love because I fought through it. I have a Fantastic Guardian Angel. And, a Fabulous Wife... Life is Good. Oh, I also have the best Brothers in the World too, All of You.

Carlin was great for sure. I always like his line of "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things". Classic!

Carlin was great & told a lot of truth other people were afraid to say. I am 44 now & not feeling so great & losing friends way to fast. Yall should all hide from me seems like every one I know is dying at about 50.

I guess what I miss most is the simple things,Once my grandson and me went for a walk,He was 5 years old,About a half mile in the woods I said matt are we lost?I don't know the way back! The lil guy reached up and got my hand and said I know where we are poppop,He consoled me all the way back,Saying poppop do you remember that?I do we are gonna be ok poppop,Dont worry,We will be ok.Upon arriving back home he said see poppop were home,you are ok and I love you.We got home he couldn't wait to tell nana the story,She told him how good and brave he had been,He gleamed with pride,And said,I had to take care of poppop,He's the only poppop I got!I hope he keeps his heart forever.As I wish for my brothers here,Got a lil off track just had to share the story,Guess the saying about a wise old man is true,Never gave much thought to simple things when I was young.God bless you all old and young alike.We will always be brothers.

I guess what I miss most is the simple things,Once my grandson and me went for a walk,He was 5 years old,About a half mile in the woods I said matt are we lost?I don't know the way back! The lil guy reached up and got my hand and said I know where we are poppop,He consoled me all the way back,Saying poppop do you remember that?I do we are gonna be ok poppop,Dont worry,We will be ok.Upon arriving back home he said see poppop were home,you are ok and I love you.We got home he couldn't wait to tell nana the story,She told him how good and brave he had been,He gleamed with pride,And said,I had to take care of poppop,He's the only poppop I got!I hope he keeps his heart forever.As I wish for my brothers here,Got a lil off track just had to share the story,Guess the saying about a wise old man is true,Never gave much thought to simple things when I was young.God bless you all old and young alike.We will always be brothers.
Great little story. It is the little things that count

Back