Lightcon Wheels; What crap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Buddy of mine just comepletly blew the hub out of his Lightcon rear wheel. Spline hub only has three ears bolted to the wheel on these, all three of them snapped clean.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

He's got a PCW tourmaster, but rides like a Grand Pa on heart meds.

They sure were pretty while they lasted though, about 5 years and 10,000 miles

The pic I'm posting is a stock photo but shows how the spline hub attaches with three bolted spots.

Attachments

• lightcon.jpg
    lightcon.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 76
Buddy of mine just comepletly blew the hub out of his Lightcon rear wheel. Spline hub only has three ears bolted to the wheel on these, all three of them snapped clean.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

He's got a PCW tourmaster, but rides like a Grand Pa on heart meds.

They sure were pretty while they lasted though, about 5 years and 10,000 miles

The pic I'm posting is a stock photo but shows how the spline hub attaches with three bolted spots.

Wow... thats pretty bad. Does Lightcon stand behind there stuff?

I would like to keep up with this thread , as a now concerned owner of Lightcons , heretofore , no problems with about the same amount of miles and years as the subject failure. No big motor , but cammed with stage 7 and HMF 4-2 . I definately don't ride it like the grandfather mentioned , but more like the leadfoot , need for speed grand pa I am.

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 589.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 589.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 41
Hope your buddy didn't experience a 'get off' when that broke. Yikes!

I know another guy that sells billet aluminum wheels that don't get the same fatigue issues. DISCLAIMER - Though I have seen them broken too though in a high HP drag racing/road racing situation.

Sean

We have some talented machinists on here that I am sure can fix that wheel if desired. Save a lot of money compared to buying new. Not sure if Lightcon will fix it under any kind of warranty?

Sean

We have some talented machinists on here that I am sure can fix that wheel if desired. Save a lot of money compared to buying new. Not sure if Lightcon will fix it under any kind of warranty?

Sean

I dunno, he bought them from Wildbro's around 5 years ago. I doubt it.

He took it to work today to see what his machinist could do with it, at least a temp fix. He works at Budwieser so they have some decent machinist and welders. It's just like any other process plant except they make beer instead of chemicals and refined crude like most of the plant around here.

As far as welding it back I don't know how well it can be "jigged" I suggested he to try using the axle at least but it's on the pumpkin side so I don't see how using the swingarm and axle combo as a jig is possible?

I would not suggest welding it. I would simply say a new part needs to be made and even maybe send though a hardening process. You could possibly make it out of an exotic material to save weight or even steel that is "holed" to cut weigbt down but still retain strength.

Sean

I would not suggest welding it. I would simply say a new part needs to be made and even maybe send though a hardening process. You could possibly make it out of an exotic material to save weight or even steel that is "holed" to cut weigbt down but still retain strength.

Sean

Sean

I agree. Not much area to weld on really.

He's just trying something temporary to try to make the Bandera trip.

Latest posts

Back